Anyone with an autistic sibling

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I almost don’t want to write this ig? I feel bad because my sister has high functioning autism. I get I don’t know what it’s like to be in her head. And I guess I don’t understand ASD as much as I should. But it’s hard not to get annoyed. I’m finding her very stressful as of recent since I’m dealing with some pretty significant stuff. It’s little things that annoy me that shouldn’t but my compassion simply isn’t there and it hasn’t been there for while. I feel a resentment towards my sister almost. She’s always where I am. I’m always dealing with her problems. My mum does too but it just feels like a lot. And it can be quite emotionally draining. I do try my best to get along with and I do understand why she behaves the way she does. It’s just hard to not get frustrated at her and crack. I really want to move out. I get this is a very small problem to have. It’s frustrating to be 17 and look after a 21 year old idk. Needed to rant. Anybody else in a similar situation? Anybody have an autistic sibling?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I almost don’t want to write this ig? I feel bad because my sister has high functioning autism. I get I don’t know what it’s like to be in her head. And I guess I don’t understand ASD as much as I should. But it’s hard not to get annoyed. I’m finding her very stressful as of recent since I’m dealing with some pretty significant stuff. It’s little things that annoy me that shouldn’t but my compassion simply isn’t there and it hasn’t been there for while. I feel a resentment towards my sister almost. She’s always where I am. I’m always dealing with her problems. My mum does too but it just feels like a lot. And it can be quite emotionally draining. I do try my best to get along with and I do understand why she behaves the way she does. It’s just hard to not get frustrated at her and crack. I really want to move out. I get this is a very small problem to have. It’s frustrating to be 17 and look after a 21 year old idk. Needed to rant. Anybody else in a similar situation? Anybody have an autistic sibling?
Understandable and its fine to vent.

Have a read of these links and then theres a charity especially for siblings who have a disabled sibling.

Loads of advice on how you might feel and how to cope.

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/fami.../siblings.aspx
https://www.sibs.org.uk/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (54)
19.15%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (61)
21.63%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (57)
20.21%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (60)
21.28%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (25)
8.87%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
8.87%

Watched Threads