Jo093
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi! I am currently studying an extended degree in art and design at London Metropolitan University. I started on February 2019 with the Foundation course until August 2019 and then started on September 2019 the year 1 until May 2020 which I finished successfully. I did not like the content of this course I would like to move to another university. If accepted at another institution will be at year 1. So my question is, will it be possible to get another year of funding (since I was doing a Ba with foundation I needed 4 years of funding but now I would need 5) to be able to transfer and start again a new course at year 1 starting on October?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jo093)
Hi! I am currently studying an extended degree in art and design at London Metropolitan University. I started on February 2019 with the Foundation course until August 2019 and then started on September 2019 the year 1 until May 2020 which I finished successfully. I did not like the content of this course I would like to move to another university. If accepted at another institution will be at year 1. So my question is, will it be possible to get another year of funding (since I was doing a Ba with foundation I needed 4 years of funding but now I would need 5) to be able to transfer and start again a new course at year 1 starting on October?
Because you have done a foundation year and 1st year then sfe rules consider that using 2 years of study. You only get 1 gift year for repeats/restarts. That means that if you now restart in year 1 of a new course then you won’t get a tuition fee loan in yr 1 of the new course.
Jo093
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Because you have done a foundation year and 1st year then sfe rules consider that using 2 years of study. You only get 1 gift year for repeats/restarts. That means that if you now restart in year 1 of a new course then you won’t get a tuition fee loan in yr 1 of the new course.
Thank you very much for your answer! Sorry about this but it is not very clear to me why I can’t get a gift year. If I would have failed this year and had to repeat it, then I suppose I would get an extra year of funding (like some of my classmates did), why in my case when I have to repeat year 1 just because the institution I am applying would only accept me in year 1 due to the content of their course not being similar enough to the course I am currently in, I can’t get an extra year of funding?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jo093)
Thank you very much for your answer! Sorry about this but it is not very clear to me why I can’t get a gift year. If I would have failed this year and had to repeat it, then I suppose I would get an extra year of funding (like some of my classmates did), why in my case when I have to repeat year 1 just because the institution I am applying would only accept me in year 1 due to the content of their course not being similar enough to the course I am currently in, I can’t get an extra year of funding?
You’ve used your gift year on foundation.

The calculation goes:

Length of new course (3 years) + gift year (1 year) - previous years of study (2 years) = 2 years funding left.

SFE always put unfunded years first.
Jo093
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You’ve used your gift year on foundation.

The calculation goes:

Length of new course (3 years) + gift year (1 year) - previous years of study (2 years) = 2 years funding left.

SFE always put unfunded years first.
Thank you for your answer!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (29)
8.41%
Confident (46)
13.33%
Indifferent (51)
14.78%
Unsure (83)
24.06%
Worried (136)
39.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise