agfkl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Looking to do A-level maths, but haven't studied for ages. Can you offer any suggestions for great online resources, preferably free ones. Thanks!
Azzer02
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I decided to study for A level maths back in October after a very long time away. I was entered for the exam in June - though it was cancelled. Anyway, I would have sat it if I could.

My approach was to choose an exam board (edexcel) and buy the 4 study books for AS and A level - then work through the questions within.

When I got stuck I looked on Youtube for lessons from the likes of academy of Khan - but generally there are quite a lot of lessons out there.

I found Wikipedia entries to be a bit overly technical in general.

There is a lot in the maths syllabus when you include the stats and mechanics, so my approach was to work through the syllabus and go further as required.

Good luck!
itsalifiman11
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Dr.Frost Maths!!!!
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
www.corbettmaths.com
www.drfrostmaths.com
https://www.missbsresources.com/teac...mathspassports
www.madasmaths.com
And numerous others, including the official textbooks and other revision guides.

If you're doing A Level maths in September, pick one resource and work through it. There are ~100 topics on the syllabus, so you'd be doing ~1 a day of you want to do it properly, which is a fair commitment. If you're not that familiar with it, Id prioritise algebra.
Last edited by mqb2766; 5 days ago
agfkl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
www.corbettmaths.com
www.drfrostmaths.com
https://www.missbsresources.com/teac...mathspassports
www.madasmaths.com
And numerous others, including the official textbooks and other revision guides.

If you're doing A Level maths in September, pick one resource and work through it. There are ~100 topics on the syllabus, so you'd be doing ~1 a day of you want to do it properly, which is a fair commitment. If you're not that familiar with it, Id prioritise algebra.
Haven't committed to any schedule yet, but if there's 100 topics that's a big commitment for anyone doing it as a "hobby!" Thanks for the links.
agfkl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Azzer02)
I decided to study for A level maths back in October after a very long time away. I was entered for the exam in June - though it was cancelled. Anyway, I would have sat it if I could.

My approach was to choose an exam board (edexcel) and buy the 4 study books for AS and A level - then work through the questions within.

When I got stuck I looked on Youtube for lessons from the likes of academy of Khan - but generally there are quite a lot of lessons out there.

I found Wikipedia entries to be a bit overly technical in general.

There is a lot in the maths syllabus when you include the stats and mechanics, so my approach was to work through the syllabus and go further as required.

Good luck!
So there are 4 books for the Edexcel course, good to know. Can I buy direct from Pearson? And thanks for the tip re Khan and Wikipedia.
jamiet0185
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Exam Solutions is another good website
itsalifiman11
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by agfkl)
So there are 4 books for the Edexcel course, good to know. Can I buy direct from Pearson? And thanks for the tip re Khan and Wikipedia.
Bro !! It's expensive!! Find the PDF versions!!
Azzer02
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Each book costs around 19gbp from Amazon - look for edexcel pure maths year 1 and 2 and mechanics and stats year 1 and 2. All 4 by Greg attwood.

If you are looking to do the exam, prepare for some costs. The exam for a private candidate typically costs 350Gbp plus. A school could do it cheaper but in my experience they don’t want the hassle.

Also, a graphic calculator- or at least a high grade stats calculator is a must. That could cost 130 gbp as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads