The Student Room Group

Applying for one uni

So I’m a bit stuck, there’s only one university course I want to do, but I’m worried I won’t get in! Has anyone applied to one uni? And then been rejected and was able to go through clearing. I want to apply for
Reading University, but I don’t know if I am good to risk having to go through clearing?
It would depend on your predicted grades, if it’s matches the requirements your most likely to get accepted. Reading university admission isn’t as hard for instance as oxford/Cambridge, depending on how competitive the course is would also determine if u get in. Why would u want to apply for one? But I can go for it, my friend had applied for 1 university and got in
Reply 2
There’s not many places that do the degree I want to do, and Reading is the only one I like I do not like the other one that does what I want to do
Reply 3
There is literally only 2 universities that do it! But I really do have my heart set on @UniofReading if I don’t get in then wherever I end up I can just see myself being really disappointed it’s really getting to me now as I don’t want to risk having what to go through clearing but the personal statement I have written is all based on this uni. I don’t want to have to choose a back up and generalise it as I want to get into reading more than anything!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tash8790
There is literally only 2 universities that do it! But I really do have my heart set on @UniofReading if I don’t get in then wherever I end up I can just see myself being really disappointed it’s really getting to me now as I don’t want to risk having what to go through clearing but the personal statement I have written is all based on this uni. I don’t want to have to choose a back up and generalise it as I want to get into reading more than anything!

Do you have the right grades/predicted grades for the course?

If so,It is perfectly ok to only apply to one uni - lots of people do it and you would still be able to apply to other unis in Clearing if you did get rejected. Sure your PS wouldn't be the best for other unis but in Clearing unis are more interested in your grades than anything else.
Reply 5
I don’t have a predicted grade yet I’m mostly getting Distinctions but I’m quite possiblyablut to go into a year where I’m in and out of hospital so I have a fear I could slip up a bit if I’m honest I’m gonna try my best but don’t know what to expect.
I don’t have a predicted grade yet I’m mostly getting Distinctions but I’m quite possiblyablut to go into a year where I’m in and out of hospital so I have a fear I could slip up a bit if I’m honest I’m gonna try my best but don’t know what to expect.

Well I wish you the best of luck with your application and ultimately, there's no point applying to a uni or course that doesn't interest you. Carry on trying your best and as long as you meet Reading's entry requirements there is a good chance they will make you an offer
So I’m a bit stuck, there’s only one university course I want to do, but I’m worried I won’t get in! Has anyone applied to one uni? And then been rejected and was able to go through clearing. I want to apply for
Reading University, but I don’t know if I am good to risk having to go through clearing?

Wow great to hear you’re wanting to study at Reading! It’s a great choice!!

Please let me know if there’s any questions I can help answer!

What sold Reading for you?

Ellen 😊
Student Ambassador
Reply 8
Original post by UniofReading
Wow great to hear you’re wanting to study at Reading! It’s a great choice!!

Please let me know if there’s any questions I can help answer!

What sold Reading for you?

Ellen 😊
Student Ambassador

Hello there wow thank you for jumping on my post! I have heard so many wonderful things about it apparently the tutors really love what they teach, I have explored the website and ordered the prospectus and joined the open day and I just am so excited about it I went and looked round a feW other universities which I would use as my back up and they just don’t have anything that stands out to me I have spoken to students and they have said how good quality the work you have to do is and I really love doing work for subjects I love! And compared to the other university it just really has a place in my heart Reading does! I also really love the sports clubs available too. Such as Reading Knights Hockey team and the dance clubs. I keep trying to not get my hopes up About it as I know when applying for the degree I won’t have the best grades out off everyone because I have dyspraxia and I was in and out of hospital for my GCSE’s and I’m likely to be the same when I take me Extended diploma next year but I’m doing the equivalent to 6 a levels as I am taking a diploma in human biology on the side to give me a better chance. I am just really struggling to decide weather to apply for 5 universities so I have a better chance of a backup or too just apply for Reading and risk having to go through clearing. I did email them to ask if I could send them a separate personal statement and they said yes but I’m still worried that they either won’t look at it or they will look at my one for my backups and think no and reject me or think that it’s the other way round. 😕 I really don’t know what to do as I honestly think in another degree I would just be continuously thinking about the degree I wanted to do at Reading, i have been writing my personal statement for reading for a while around Christmas time where I’ve been re drafting it over and over. Sorry for the long message it’s really stressing me out.

Quick Reply