The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

[MSc] Should I reapply to Imperial in October or just accept the offer from UCL

I have made applications to both UCL (Robotics and Computation) and Imperial (CS) early this February and Imperial decided to reject my application in May. I was having gpa classified as a 2:1 when I was applying, I know there was little chance to hear good news but I decided to try anyway.

I just received my final grades this semester and they were unexpectedly high, which boosted my overall results to a first-class honour. Should I defer the offer from UCL and try to reapply to Imperial and also other universities?

Any similar experiences will be much appreciated. :smile:
Original post by douglas_c
I have made applications to both UCL (Robotics and Computation) and Imperial (CS) early this February and Imperial decided to reject my application in May. I was having gpa classified as a 2:1 when I was applying, I know there was little chance to hear good news but I decided to try anyway.

I just received my final grades this semester and they were unexpectedly high, which boosted my overall results to a first-class honour. Should I defer the offer from UCL and try to reapply to Imperial and also other universities?

Is there something about Imperial which means it has attractions that UCL doesnt?
Have you talked to Imperial? First class may or may not make a difference. I would have been happy with UCL.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
See if Imperial can reverse for this year or not. If their decision for this year stands, I would go to UCL -- it is still very good, and you know, you secured the place. No guarantee if you reapply next year, especially as 2021 entry will be more competitive than usual. What you can also do is try see if UCL would happily defer your offer for 2021 entry, in which case you can reapply to Imperial and if they say yes, just abandon UCL
Original post by douglas_c

If you can find a firm that will hire an Imperial graduate, but not a UCL graduate please do let me know. Once your in the top 100 of the world the advantages of any certain uni, diminishes your already in elite education.. When your in the top 10 of the world... It's even more marginal... As they both are....
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies, I have sent an email to the admission tutor asking if they can reconsider my admission decision. Let's see how will he reply...

Original post by Realitysreflexx
If you can find a firm that will hire an Imperial graduate, but not a UCL graduate please do let me know. Once your in the top 100 of the world the advantages of any certain uni, diminishes your already in elite education.. When your in the top 10 of the world... It's even more marginal... As they both are....

Yea, employment is my main concern, but you have a good point. If Imperial still turns me down at the end, I will still go UCL anyway.
Generally speaking, all universities around the world facing a huge crisis, moreover, even the "top schools" Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Penn, Purdue and more all will meet a shortage on number of students this year and up to the end to the next year 2021.

The main reasons why the situation becomes so difficult for unis to recruit students is simply due to the restriction and social distance which can not be completely released to avoid any unexpected worse scenario of a badly second wave which discourage students to pay a significant amount of fund for online less effective education. Another problem is more young people prefer to secure a job rather than wasting their saving in a degree especially for postgraduate studies with an unstable global market in such days. Fourthly, due to the poverty rate will be increased among people all over the world so many people concentrate to have the basic needs first which is housing, health and food, after ensuring all of that then education and tourism.

I think you need to find a cheap good school such as Trinity College Dublin
Original post by BA2000
Generally speaking, all universities around the world facing a huge crisis, moreover, even the "top schools" Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Penn, Purdue and more all will meet a shortage on number of students this year and up to the end to the next year 2021.

The main reasons why the situation becomes so difficult for unis to recruit students is simply due to the restriction and social distance which can not be completely released to avoid any unexpected worse scenario of a badly second wave which discourage students to pay a significant amount of fund for online less effective education. Another problem is more young people prefer to secure a job rather than wasting their saving in a degree especially for postgraduate studies with an unstable global market in such days. Fourthly, due to the poverty rate will be increased among people all over the world so many people concentrate to have the basic needs first which is housing, health and food, after ensuring all of that then education and tourism.

I think you need to find a cheap good school such as Trinity College Dublin

i thought this too, but surprisingly in the UK there has been a record number of firm choices for 2020 entry https://www.ucas.com/corporate/news-and-key-documents/news/university-applications-rise-during-lockdown
Original post by FortitudeBank
i thought this too, but surprisingly in the UK there has been a record number of firm choices for 2020 entry https://www.ucas.com/corporate/news-and-key-documents/news/university-applications-rise-during-lockdown

with this situation, we are in the middle of a crisis that will badly impact every one of us,
I can not believe the news and the media,
Original post by username5312814
with this situation, we are in the middle of a crisis that will badly impact every one of us,
I can not believe the news and the media,

this is from UCAS, the official handler of all undergrad applications in the UK... lol
(edited 3 years ago)
UCL is only marginally below Imperial and this difference is not enough to justify wasting 1 year. But this year a lot of people are taking a gap to avoid online uni so it shouldn't be a problem.

I wonder have you reapplied and got the Imperial offer?

Quick Reply

Latest