It should be illegal to blackball someones career

Watch
charmaine45th
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 21 hours ago
I believe i have been blackballed into obtaining work by a pyschotic manager who has been bullying me and i have no recourse because bodies that are created to protect employees do not care. I have over 20 years of work and have been unemployed for sometime. I have made over 300 applications and have recieved instant rejections or when i call and asked my name , i am immediately told the role has gone, but remains to be advertised for weeks later.

I tried contacted legal bodies but they try to put me off putting in a claim . I tried contacted UCAS and they have tried putting me off from putting in a claim. I have tried to obtain my data held on me and have been told that my last employer has the right to withheld certain files on me under "confidentality" and there is nothing i can do about it

Please advise?
Always_Confused
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 hours ago
Are you suggesting that a previous manager of yours is leaving you poor references or giving out misleading information that is preventing you getting a job?

Managers are allowed to mention any disciplinaries you have been given, but it has to be accurate and factual. If they are giving out false information about you, you have grounds for legal action.

Have you contacted any of the employers you have applied to and asked why your application was rejected? I know a lot of employers don't give feedback, but if you can get proof it is because of a reference from your manager, then you know it is worth chasing up what it is they are actually saying about you.

I know it's not the most professional looking on a job application, but could you remove your old employer as a reference and replace with a character reference. I know it's suggested you don't lie on a job application, but you could just say you have lost touch with your old employer and dont have contact details. You could volunteer at a charity for a short while so you could put them as a reference. Just do something to remove the need for your manager to leave you a reference.

Just a few things to consider though:

You say you've been unemployed for sometime. While you may have valid reasons for this, with how competitive the job market is at the moment, this may be off putting to employers, despite your years of experience. Many employers want to know exactly what you are doing during a period of unemployment and if they don't like what you were doing, they may reject the application.

Further to that point, all job markets are so competitive. I know someone who has 7 years work experience + first degree + masters degree who had to apply for hundreds of jobs before even getting invited to an interview. The world is a tough place at the moment and you may just be getting rejected because of the high number of applicants.

You may have been told not to pursue legal action because it will be hard to prove that you are being rejected specifically because of that manager. If you can get proof it is because of a poor reference, I would then attempt to find out why it is poor. If the information in it is false, I would then obtain legal advice.
charmaine45th
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 hours ago
(Original post by Always_Confused)
Are you suggesting that a previous manager of yours is leaving you poor references or giving out misleading information that is preventing you getting a job?

Managers are allowed to mention any disciplinaries you have been given, but it has to be accurate and factual. If they are giving out false information about you, you have grounds for legal action.

Have you contacted any of the employers you have applied to and asked why your application was rejected? I know a lot of employers don't give feedback, but if you can get proof it is because of a reference from your manager, then you know it is worth chasing up what it is they are actually saying about you.

I know it's not the most professional looking on a job application, but could you remove your old employer as a reference and replace with a character reference. I know it's suggested you don't lie on a job application, but you could just say you have lost touch with your old employer and dont have contact details. You could volunteer at a charity for a short while so you could put them as a reference. Just do something to remove the need for your manager to leave you a reference.

Just a few things to consider though:

You say you've been unemployed for sometime. While you may have valid reasons for this, with how competitive the job market is at the moment, this may be off putting to employers, despite your years of experience. Many employers want to know exactly what you are doing during a period of unemployment and if they don't like what you were doing, they may reject the application.

Further to that point, all job markets are so competitive. I know someone who has 7 years work experience + first degree + masters degree who had to apply for hundreds of jobs before even getting invited to an interview. The world is a tough place at the moment and you may just be getting rejected because of the high number of applicants.

You may have been told not to pursue legal action because it will be hard to prove that you are being rejected specifically because of that manager. If you can get proof it is because of a poor reference, I would then attempt to find out why it is poor. If the information in it is false, I would then obtain legal advice.
Hello Always Confused,

Thank you for taking the time to respond

"Are you suggesting that a previous manager of yours is leaving you poor references or giving out misleading information that is preventing you getting a job?"

Absolutely, and it was also orchestrated.. Let me explain what i meant by Orchestrated. When i joined the company i was instantly targetted by the manager. First it started with the typical comment about my hair ( I am a black woman ), then, she began taking photographs of my hair and wanting to touch it despite the fact i said that i was not happy for my hair to be touched. Then it went onto Microaggressive behaviour, constantly accusing me of things i had not done ie; responded to a customer . when infact the complaint was sent to her to approve which she never did . I was constantly belittled when i recieved praise from people higher level in the department. The bullying went on and on. I spoke to the head about it and since then i was targetted more until i recieved write ups for little things etc . You get the picture. She would not give clear instruction of what she wanted to be done despite several emails sent to her and then when the work was not done , i was accused. In the end i was fired. I did not fight for my role because i found that the entire company was on her side and that it was not a place i wanted to be and i made that known. I also exposed how i was treated and she was upset of that. Since that point i was unable to get work at all in the field

"Have you contacted any of the employers you have applied to and asked why your application was rejected? I know a lot of employers don't give feedback, but if you can get proof it is because of a reference from your manager, then you know it is worth chasing up what it is they are actually saying about you. "

I have and one had told me that they loved my CV but for reasons they cannot divulge - i was unsuccessful. Others simply did not respond and when i call and ask what my name is , i am told they role has gone.

"I know it's not the most professional looking on a job application, but could you remove your old employer as a reference and replace with a character reference. I know it's suggested you don't lie on a job application, but you could just say you have lost touch with your old employer and dont have contact details. You could volunteer at a charity for a short while so you could put them as a reference. Just do something to remove the need for your manager to leave you a reference."

This is what she was hoping.. I worked in the company for 6 months and it is a prestigeous level - the highest accolade. I refuse to leave it off my CV. I refuse to leave what i have accomplished to its highest level . Absolutely not!

"You say you've been unemployed for sometime. While you may have valid reasons for this, with how competitive the job market is at the moment, this may be off putting to employers, despite your years of experience. Many employers want to know exactly what you are doing during a period of unemployment and if they don't like what you were doing, they may reject the application."

I have been unemployed since March. I have raised complaints to the bodies of the company who have said they would look into it. The union whom i was with offered very little - to no help. I am 1000% positive that the rejections i have been recieving is because of that employer. Although i had one role since which was a very low end role . The cooperate field in which i have always worked ALL have rejected me , bone flat
davidthomasjnr
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 hours ago
(Original post by charmaine45th)
I believe i have been blackballed into obtaining work by a pyschotic manager who has been bullying me and i have no recourse because bodies that are created to protect employees do not care. I have over 20 years of work and have been unemployed for sometime. I have made over 300 applications and have recieved instant rejections or when i call and asked my name , i am immediately told the role has gone, but remains to be advertised for weeks later.

I tried contacted legal bodies but they try to put me off putting in a claim . I tried contacted UCAS and they have tried putting me off from putting in a claim. I have tried to obtain my data held on me and have been told that my last employer has the right to withheld certain files on me under "confidentality" and there is nothing i can do about it

Please advise?
You can actually pay to see the reference that was written for you by your manager (~£10 I think). I would suggest doing that before taking any legal action!
FRS500
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 hours ago
Hi there, you must seek legal advice as soon as is practicably possible tbh.

Try making a DPA request first
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 hours ago
Have you made a subject access request under GDPR to get access to the data that is held about you by your previous employer?
charmaine45th
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 hours ago
DiddyDec FRS500 davidthomasjnr As i said in my previous post even though i can request my data - i was told that if the manager has had it filed under " confidental" then GDPA has to honour it so i will not be able to get access to it . This was told to me by GDPA themselves and when i explained to them what happened and gave them my details , they hinted that it maybe the case
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 hours ago
DiddyDec FRS500 davidthomasjnr As i said in my previous post even though i can request my data - i was told that if the manager has had it filed under " confidental" then GDPA has to honour it so i will not be able to get access to it . This was told to me by GDPA themselves and when i explained to them what happened and gave them my details , they hinted that it maybe the case
GDPR is not an entity it is a piece of legislation, the General Data Protection Regulation. So how you managed to talk to GDPR I have absolutely no idea.

You need to make a subject access request.
Always_Confused
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 hours ago
Hello Always Confused,

Thank you for taking the time to respond

"Are you suggesting that a previous manager of yours is leaving you poor references or giving out misleading information that is preventing you getting a job?"

Absolutely, and it was also orchestrated.. Let me explain what i meant by Orchestrated. When i joined the company i was instantly targetted by the manager. First it started with the typical comment about my hair ( I am a black woman ), then, she began taking photographs of my hair and wanting to touch it despite the fact i said that i was not happy for my hair to be touched. Then it went onto Microaggressive behaviour, constantly accusing me of things i had not done ie; responded to a customer . when infact the complaint was sent to her to approve which she never did . I was constantly belittled when i recieved praise from people higher level in the department. The bullying went on and on. I spoke to the head about it and since then i was targetted more until i recieved write ups for little things etc . You get the picture. She would not give clear instruction of what she wanted to be done despite several emails sent to her and then when the work was not done , i was accused. In the end i was fired. I did not fight for my role because i found that the entire company was on her side and that it was not a place i wanted to be and i made that known. I also exposed how i was treated and she was upset of that. Since that point i was unable to get work at all in the field

"Have you contacted any of the employers you have applied to and asked why your application was rejected? I know a lot of employers don't give feedback, but if you can get proof it is because of a reference from your manager, then you know it is worth chasing up what it is they are actually saying about you. "

I have and one had told me that they loved my CV but for reasons they cannot divulge - i was unsuccessful. Others simply did not respond and when i call and ask what my name is , i am told they role has gone.

"I know it's not the most professional looking on a job application, but could you remove your old employer as a reference and replace with a character reference. I know it's suggested you don't lie on a job application, but you could just say you have lost touch with your old employer and dont have contact details. You could volunteer at a charity for a short while so you could put them as a reference. Just do something to remove the need for your manager to leave you a reference."

This is what she was hoping.. I worked in the company for 6 months and it is a prestigeous level - the highest accolade. I refuse to leave it off my CV. I refuse to leave what i have accomplished to its highest level . Absolutely not!

"You say you've been unemployed for sometime. While you may have valid reasons for this, with how competitive the job market is at the moment, this may be off putting to employers, despite your years of experience. Many employers want to know exactly what you are doing during a period of unemployment and if they don't like what you were doing, they may reject the application."

I have been unemployed since March. I have raised complaints to the bodies of the company who have said they would look into it. The union whom i was with offered very little - to no help. I am 1000% positive that the rejections i have been recieving is because of that employer. Although i had one role since which was a very low end role . The cooperate field in which i have always worked ALL have rejected me , bone flat
Definitely sounds like your manager is targeting you and if they are the one writing your reference, they're probably divulging the times they've disciplined you.

Sorry to hear your union hasn't been great, though it may be a battle they'll know you'll lose. I think because you were only with the company for 6 months, your case wouldn't be pursued by ACAS. I tried to escalate a complaint about an employer but was told I wasn't able to because I hadn't worked there for more than 2 years.

Could you arrange a meeting with the company HR and take a union rep? You're within your rights to know what is in your file (complaints etc made by the manager). If they won't tell you what is in the reference, you could try to find out what it is they're actually allowed to say, which is obviously what is on your work record.

Keep going with the job applications. Hopefully your years of experience tilt in your favour. If not, maybe you'll apply somewhere that will give you feedback and it at least gives you evidence to threaten legal action which will hopefully make them stop.

Goodluck.
FRS500
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 hours ago
Hi there, GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) is a body of legislation concerning data protection.

It's not an organization you get in touch with so I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

Also you don't contact UCAS for employment disputes. That is for university admissions, I believe you're looking for ACAS.
charmaine45th
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 minutes ago
(Original post by Always_Confused)
Definitely sounds like your manager is targeting you and if they are the one writing your reference, they're probably divulging the times they've disciplined you.

Sorry to hear your union hasn't been great, though it may be a battle they'll know you'll lose. I think because you were only with the company for 6 months, your case wouldn't be pursued by ACAS. I tried to escalate a complaint about an employer but was told I wasn't able to because I hadn't worked there for more than 2 years.

Could you arrange a meeting with the company HR and take a union rep? You're within your rights to know what is in your file (complaints etc made by the manager). If they won't tell you what is in the reference, you could try to find out what it is they're actually allowed to say, which is obviously what is on your work record.

Keep going with the job applications. Hopefully your years of experience tilt in your favour. If not, maybe you'll apply somewhere that will give you feedback and it at least gives you evidence to threaten legal action which will hopefully make them stop.

Goodluck.
I am no longer with a member of the union. I cancelled simply because they were of no help and was discouraging throughout. When i was fired , i was told by HR that i can contact them for a reference, but it appears her ego was also taunted because i did not go out kicking , screaming , begging for my job. I gave them more than they deserved and to be treated in such a manner, i was certainly not going to beg. Before being fired i was asked of my longtime goals within the company and my response was . I do not have any plans for a longterm goal as i do not wish to further my career within the company and this is what led to the vandictive action. ie; ensuring i do not get work in any other company. I made an officical complaint to their bodie who came back to say there is no evidence to suggest they have provided a bad reference- which is a lye. I want to release the name of the company . I guess i will on another platform
Last edited by charmaine45th; 5 minutes ago
charmaine45th
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 minutes ago
I am no longer with a member of the union. I cancelled simply because they were of no help and was discouraging throughout. When i was fired , i was told by HR that i can contact them for a reference, but it appears her ego was also taunted because i did not go out kicking , screaming , begging for my job. I gave them more than they deserved and to be treated in such a manner, i was certainly not going to beg. Before being fired i was asked of my longtime goals within the company and my response was . I do not have any plans for a longterm goal as i do not wish to further my career within the company and this is what led to the vandictive action. ie; ensuring i do not get work in any other company. I want to release the name of the company . I guess i will in another platform
(Original post by FRS500)
Hi there, GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) is a body of legislation concerning data protection.

It's not an organization you get in touch with so I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

Also you don't contact UCAS for employment disputes. That is for university admissions, I believe you're looking for ACAS.
Sorry i mean i contacted ACAS not UCAS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (26)
21.31%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (32)
26.23%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (17)
13.93%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (29)
23.77%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (10)
8.2%
I haven't started researching yet (8)
6.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed