Parents want me to do accounting

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
So my parents really want me to study accounting at uni but i REALLY want to study psychology at uni but not done in a levels. So im thinking of doing the 3 yrs accounting at uni then psychology 3 yrs after that then a year doing masters. But idk. It seems like so much effort but u dont understand how much i wana do psychology. But then again not done it in a levels so im soooo confused
etienne26
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So my parents really want me to study accounting at uni but i REALLY want to study psychology at uni but not done in a levels. So im thinking of doing the 3 yrs accounting at uni then psychology 3 yrs after that then a year doing masters. But idk. It seems like so much effort but u dont understand how much i wana do psychology. But then again not done it in a levels so im soooo confused
Do psychology then, why tf would you spend 3 years doing accounting if you don't want to do it. You decide your future not your parents, you have that UCAS login.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Don't spend 3 years doing something you want
It's your life, not your parents. Plus how would you fund all this uni- SFE only covers the first degree
XKangaotiCX
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
You poor, poor soul. Accounting to me sounds like the most boring subject out there.
Anyway, I'd say there's legit no point in wasting your time with 3 years of accounting if you're going to go do psychology afterwards. It's a waste of 3 years (as well as 3 years more of student debt), and it's very likely you won't enjoy those years by the sounds of it. If you want to do psychology without the a level for it, you can always go for a foundation year. Don't let your parents get in the way of what you wanna do in life, cause you're the one who's gonna have to live with the consequences. Good luck
Anonymous #2
Report 4 days ago
I have picked accounting currently for September but am changing to Business Management as it sounds boring asf. It's a well paying, respected and stable career don't get me wrong but after going for a few taster sessions its put me off completely.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by etienne26)
Do psychology then, why tf would you spend 3 years doing accounting if you don't want to do it. You decide your future not your parents, you have that UCAS login.
I dont want to upset my parents. Theyve always wanted me to do it
Anonymous #1
(Original post by XKangaotiCX)
You poor, poor soul. Accounting to me sounds like the most boring subject out there.
Anyway, I'd say there's legit no point in wasting your time with 3 years of accounting if you're going to go do psychology afterwards. It's a waste of 3 years (as well as 3 years more of student debt), and it's very likely you won't enjoy those years by the sounds of it. If you want to do psychology without the a level for it, you can always go for a foundation year. Don't let your parents get in the way of what you wanna do in life, cause you're the one who's gonna have to live with the consequences. Good luck
Yehhh thats true. Idk tho cuz its gona b hard saying to my parents i dont wana do it anymore. And ikkkk it seems very boring and so much effort going thru my "plan".
babyshark
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Don’t do it, seriously. You won’t do well in a subject you hate whereas if you took psychology, you will try ten times harder and ultimately succeed. You need to explain to your parents that you’re not doing accounting. It’s your life not theirs, you need to put your foot down!

Good luck
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 days ago
You only get funded for one degree unless the second one is health related or from a specific list.
Be aware the market is saturated with psych graduates, little chance you will get to use it in work plus it has one of the lowest average wage by subject figures.

Do your research and work out carefully what you want and what youd enjoy. Do some research on what people use the degree for after and also job prospects so you can see the whole picture.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
It's going to be extremely difficult to engage with and do well with a subject you're not enjoying - it'll become dry and dull very very quickly. Now imagine that you're going to be doing that for 3 years...

Stick with what makes you happy.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 days ago
As a parent I find the idea of choosing the careers of my children totally bizarre. Why would I have an opinion as long as what they want to do is legal and safe and pays reasonably well I'm happy? You can't spend three years doing something that you hate.
Anonymous #4
Report 4 days ago
You definitely shouldn't do accounting if you don't want to, but I would also suggest thinking twice about psychology. If you really have a passion for it then go for it, but for reasons highlighted earlier in the thread it's not exactly the ideal degree, so you may want to consider other courses that you may be interested in.
Anonymous #5
Report 4 days ago
Screw parents here, if everyone listened to parents no one would be artists, musicians, work in media... Parents want you to have a stable career, which is fair enough, but most have no understanding that it could mean you have an unhappy life and don't follow your passion. Anyway psychology can get you some really good jobs, it isn't like media studies where it is quite a risk in some ways in comparison, the skills are not quite as transferable.
XKangaotiCX
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yehhh thats true. Idk tho cuz its gona b hard saying to my parents i dont wana do it anymore. And ikkkk it seems very boring and so much effort going thru my "plan".
Right. It's difficult, sure, but it's completely necessary for the sake of your own happiness! You gotta sit them down and tell them straight, you don't wanna do accounting and tell them the reasons - make sure you convey your passion for psychology. If they see how much you want to do it, I'm sure they'll come around. I can relate to your situation; you wanna make your parents proud (/not disown you lmao) but I'm sure they value your happiness first and foremost so just spit straight facts to em and see what happens. you got this
Bbles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
As much as I want to say just go for what you yourself would like to do, I think you should think through your degree choice a little. I currently study a science-related degree that I despise, but since I am paying so much I am determined to do well and so far have been making good progress with my grades. I chose it over history, which is my ultimate passion. But I knew that history wasn’t exactly a viable degree, so despite pouring my heart and soul into it I decided against.

As someone else said, psychology is not a particularly easy degree to work with after you graduate. I have relatives who didn’t study undergraduate psychology but still managed to get into therapy/counselling jobs, so it seems that it won’t be hugely beneficial.

Although, I think it’s largely about experience. Take psychology if you really want to, just make sure that you’re picking up a LOT of experience and taking on placements as soon as you can.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (54)
19.42%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (60)
21.58%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (56)
20.14%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (58)
20.86%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (25)
8.99%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
8.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed