Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't go to certain areas in London because i know for a fact that my life will be at risk just because im from a different part. A few years ago id happily go anywhere I pleased because the city wasnt gripped by the knife and gun culture of today. My main fear is being confronted by a group of youths brandishing knives and guns because id happily defend myself if a fist fight, but when a gun is pointed at you, theres nothing you can do. London has got so bad, its got to the point that i just want to leave.

Do you lot feel the same, not just thos who live in LDN but anywhere in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I feel very safe in Edinburgh! Me and my friends always comment on how it should feel scary wandering the meadows at night, but it really doesn't.

Not so much in some parts of Sheffield.

I live in the safest big town in the UK apparently :proud: but generally I don't feel at risk in most areas of the UK; of course there are areas which are slightly more risky, but the decent areas far outnumber them.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Blackpool. I'll happily walk around anywhere other than Grange Park or Mereside.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Norwich, and before then I lived in Bristol and York (with regular trips to Leeds) and have felt safe in all of them. The only place I've felt less than certain about my safety is Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    I do feel safe in most parts of London, where I live I feel fine. I just don't like walking around at night which I sometimes do, when walking home from places and don't have money on my Oyster card for the night bus.

I once went to a club in Hoxton a few weeks ago and got a little lost (as I was drunk) on the way home with a mate and we ended up walking through a gritty council estate filled with tower blocks. Saw a big group of youths on bikes with hoods up, I was thinking, here we go get ready to run. They all stared at us, but thankfully, they didn't start anything.

Have to be wise, I walk home at night too often, which you really can't afford to be doing in a lot of places.

I feel safe in Liverpool as far as the city centre and surrounding area is concerned. Wouldn't in other parts but the places I go I feel. Safer than I feel in similar areas of neighboring towns. My dad has always said he would rather I was out in Liverpool than somewhere with a supposedly nicer image like Chester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
    I do feel safe in most parts of London, where I live I feel fine. I just don't like walking around at night which I sometimes do, when walking home from places and don't have money on my Oyster card for the night bus.

I once went to a club in Hoxton a few weeks ago and got a little lost (as I was drunk) on the way home with a mate and we ended up walking through a gritty council estate filled with tower blocks. Saw a big group of youths on bikes with hoods up, I was thinking, here we go get ready to run. They all stared at us, but thankfully, they didn't start anything.

Have to be wise, I walk home at night too often, which you really can't afford to be doing in a lot of places.
    These days walking around london at night is risky business.

ReputationRep:
    I used to feel that I would be OK in most parts of Hull, just not the areas that every town has, you know the areas which are universally known to be rough and so you tend to avoid them at night, but now I'm not so sure as a friend of a friend got punched in the face a while ago by a random gang of drunken girls in the area where I am (generally considered to be nice) so I guess I don't know anymore....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    I feel safe in Liverpool as far as the city centre and surrounding area is concerned. Wouldn't in other parts but the places I go I feel. Safer than I feel in similar areas of neighboring towns. My dad has always said he would rather I was out in Liverpool than somewhere with a supposedly nicer image like Chester.
    I feel safe in Liverpool too. I hate that Liverpool is stereotyped to be full of criminals and yobs when it's no better or worse than other big cities in England :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipkinlove)
    I used to feel that I would be OK in most parts of Hull, just not the areas that every town has, you know the areas which are universally known to be rough and so you tend to avoid them at night, but now I'm not so sure as a friend of a friend got punched in the face a while ago by a random gang of drunken girls in the area where I am (generally considered to be nice) so I guess I don't know anymore....
    The days of nice areas being safe from crime are long gone, well in london at least. Nowadays if you get stopped by a group of youths and they find out you're not from their area, at best you're going to have your jaw broken, at worst your life taken and these gangs are increasingly moving to more well of areas.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Norwich. I've always felt safe here.

ReputationRep:
    I feel safe in the part of Manchester where I live but not in other parts of the city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londoner moro)
    The days of nice areas being safe from crime are long gone, well in london at least. Nowadays if you get stopped by a group of youths and they find out you're not from their area, at best you're going to have your jaw broken, at worst your life taken and these gangs are increasingly moving to more well of areas.
    Which parts of London specifically are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenkazza)
    I hate that Liverpool is stereotyped to be full of criminals and yobs when it's no better or worse than other big cities in England :rolleyes:
    Didn't mean to stereotype or to offend Liverpudlians. I'm just going on previous experience of getting mugged and getting in to a fight in Liverpool during the various times I've visited. Having said that, I haven't been back in about twelve years, so I don't know how it might have changed since then.

ReputationRep:
    Ballymena google it. I feel safe enough, its a large-ish town and I've walked home really late some nights without any hassle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdVein)
    Which parts of London specifically are you talking about?

Well i dnt live too far from maida vale which is a POSH area and a gang called MDP has opened up shop there and a few stabbings have taken place there.

The fact is people should be free to go anywhere they want but are frearing theyll be stabbed just because they're from another part of ldn.

ReputationRep:
    I'll regularly walk home from nights out in the Toon, because the areas I walk through are reasonable, and by half three you usually don't see anyone else anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, perfectly so.

ReputationRep:
    I get stuff shouted at me sometimes, but my town isn't the sort of place where you'd be stabbed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.