How to structure this history A Level essay question? PLS HELP

Watch
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
My question is: 'How significant was the threat posed by political extremists to the Weimar Republic from 1919-24'.

I don't understand how to structure it.
Is it:
-A point arguing the threat was significant
-A point arguing the threat was significant
-A point arguing that the threat WASN'T significant
-Conclusion

OR

-Significant and counter argument
-Conclusion

[As I'm sure you can imagine my thesis statement is that the threat was significant].

Please help, thank you in advance
jbrdodd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think we structured ours as:
Point: make a point about the essay
evidence: bring some evidence in relation to your pount
explain: explain your point briefly
concept: concepts such as significance,

Then make around 3 paragraphs on why you agree/disagree first (only put the paragraphs on what your opinion is first)

Then make 2/3 counter arguments using same paragraph method

then finally conclusion
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by jbrdodd)
I think we structured ours as:
Point: make a point about the essay
evidence: bring some evidence in relation to your pount
explain: explain your point briefly
concept: concepts such as significance,

Then make around 3 paragraphs on why you agree/disagree first (only put the paragraphs on what your opinion is first)

Then make 2/3 counter arguments using same paragraph method

then finally conclusion
Great thank you
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I would honestly question if the extremists were actually a threat but I would go on to talk about the left threats and then the right's in separate paragraphs the conclusion. I like the second structure more but make sure it's PEEL (Point, evidence, explain and link back to the question)
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
These questions invite an approach where you use different measures of significance and acknowledge the limitations of different measures. You define the term “significance over and over”, essentially.

For instance, you could measure the significance of a threat in terms of whether they ultimately achieved their goal. However, this is a long termist approach and it is less helpful for understanding what the day to day significance of the threat actually was.

You could measure the threat in relative terms and consider the broader context in which political extremists were operating. What means did they really have to threaten the WR? Was it more a case that they undermined them whilst they were already vulnerable? In which case, was there another factor that was a more significant threat? Or did they actually leach support from the republic? What do the polling figures say?

Was it a consistent threat over time, or did it wane? What data would you use to show this? When, according to those data, did they pose the greatest threat?

Not knowing the topic as well as others, I can only offer general examples but it’s definitely not the case that you just say they were or they weren’t. It’s a question that invites you to define the significance and what role this factor played in a historical process: qualify and, where possible, quantify the significance. Assume that it is significant and think about how, in what way, and to what extent. Don’t try to say it isn’t just for the sake of argument. You wouldn’t be writing an essay on the subject if it weren’t.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.63%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads