What to say to a"friend" who constantly belittles you ?

Watch
TheStarboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
That’s not a friend. They don’t deserve to even talk to you at this point. Let them go and don’t go back to them. Friends are supposed to support each other, not belittle them
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by babyshark)
I see what you’re saying but the issue is not the OP. You cannot blame the OP for their friends horrible actions.

Yes, the OP needs to stand up to said friends but the fact they are horrible people is not the OPs fault.

I get what you’re saying but maybe word it a little better
Ok. I was in no way blaming the OP at all. But sometimes compassion needs to be strict, right?
babyshark
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by mgi)
Ok. I was in no way blaming the OP at all. But sometimes compassion needs to be strict, right?
That’s true, just meant next time make sure it doesn’t come across as patronising!

Sorry
Kk1999
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
like not even in a jokey way like disrespect disguised as a joke ?
I would say him on the face to let me live my way and ask him who he is to deal me how he wishes. Its my life and I set the limits. He isn't anything special.

believe me I hate it but sometimes you gotta take an action before it injures you.

I don't think if its a friend he/she would do it in the first place!
Moonbow
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
“Get lost”.
Then walk away with swagger 😎
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Chocolatecakexx)
Are you a girl?Girls do sht like that I should know I am a girl.She is being apssive aggresive,call it out and roast her be like "Who needs enemies when they have so called friends like you?"Call her a btch and expose her,trust me or after u talk o her she l keep calling u out on sht u didnt do
No I’m a girl and my friend is a boy he does not act this way around his other female friends or his crush , just me because I brush things off and don’t really say anything . I don’t like being told the ways in which they’re better than me but I don’t think he knows it hurts me .
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by mgi)
But, think about it, the issue is you! Why? because you put up with the nonsense and abusive remarks! Suppose you told this person to mind their manners because you don't appreciate the disrespect and that it will have to stop immediately! After that, only 2 other things can happen: the person carries on being abusuve and then you start ignoring and dump the person, or they start behaving with respect like a proper friend. But it's about what you allow the person to get away with! Simple.
You’re right even after telling him how I feel 3 times he keeps on doing it . I’ve decided to just let him go now
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
They aren't a friend - block and move on. They don't deserve your time ...
imaniii
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I’d say if you’re not ready to confront them about it, just distance yourself from them and cut them off.
SweetSexySavage
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Can you stfu please?
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
You’re right even after telling him how I feel 3 times he keeps on doing it . I’ve decided to just let him go now
Excellent idea. Don't look back either! Life starts with courage and self respect no matter what!
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
That’s true, just meant next time make sure it doesn’t come across as patronising!

Sorry
Patronising means :"to treat in a way that is apparently kind or helpful but that betrays a feeling of superiority." There is no way i was doing this and if you read the OP response to me she agrees with me!
You sound as though you are trying to lecture when you have little understanding of what I was saying to the OP. It's not me who sounds patronising but maybe it's the one who is lecturing! lol
Rose_symonia
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Moonbow)
“Get lost”.
Then walk away with swagger 😎
This cracked me up🤣
Rose_symonia
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I like this term called ‘**** off’
And then say ‘iM jOkiNg oFcoUrSe’
babyshark
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by mgi)
Patronising means :"to treat in a way that is apparently kind or helpful but that betrays a feeling of superiority." There is no way i was doing this and if you read the OP response to me she agrees with me!
You sound as though you are trying to lecture when you have little understanding of what I was saying to the OP. It's not me who sounds patronising but maybe it's the one who is lecturing! lol
I’ve apologised if I came across that way. But in your original comment you clearly stated “the issue is you” which could be taken in a variety of ways.

As I said, I’m sorry if I came across as what you see to be “patronising”, I was simply saying that in fragile situations like this it maybe isn’t the best idea to phrase things the way you did.

If I was out of line I apologise, I will stay out of other people’s business.

It was a harmful response, please don’t start an argument
Last edited by babyshark; 3 days ago
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I’ve apologised if I can across that way. But in your original comment you clearly stated “the issue is you” which could be taken in a variety of ways.

As I said, I’m sorry if I came across as what you see to be “patronising”, I was simply saying that I’m fragile situations like this it maybe isn’t the best idea to phrase things the way you did.

If I was out of line I apologise, I will stay out of other people’s business.

It was a harmful response, please don’t start an argument
I am not starting an argument. I explained my response to you already and so I don't really need to say it again.
If you read my entire post then how could you take it in " a variety of ways."?That's to do with your view of yourself- nothing to do with the OP who accepted what i said. I don't understand what you are complaining about tbh. Do you just like feel good disingenous, pretty words or do you want honesty?
babyshark
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by mgi)
I am not starting an argument. I explained my response to you already and so I don't really need to say it again.
If you read my entire post then how could you take it in " a variety of ways."?That's to do with your view of yourself- nothing to do with the OP who accepted what i said. I don't understand what you are complaining about tbh. Do you just like feel good disingenous, pretty words or do you want honesty?
I’ve apologised, what more would you like? I’m simply looking out for people on here as I’ve seen too many comments like yours be taken the wrong way and cause great upset to OPs. It was a harmless response, constructive criticism if you will.

As I said, I probably overstepped and should not have responded and I’ve apologised for that.

Have a nice evening
Chocolatecakexx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
No I’m a girl and my friend is a boy he does not act this way around his other female friends or his crush , just me because I brush things off and don’t really say anything . I don’t like being told the ways in which they’re better than me but I don’t think he knows it hurts me .
I'm so sorry he defo not worth it
Nialler x
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
You use the NO YOU response, VERY effective, am I right Arthur_Morgan and Raptor Jesus??
Raptor Jesus
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Nialler x)
You use the NO YOU response, VERY effective, am I right Arthur_Morgan and Raptor Jesus??
No u
Spoiler:
Show
but ig it can be effective - abruptly saying to the other to stfu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (56)
19.31%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (63)
21.72%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
20%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (62)
21.38%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (26)
8.97%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
8.62%

Watched Threads