jaysha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of studies, I am studying GCSE maths English and science in September but wanted to get a headstart, does anyone recommend any books that will cover the basics?

Cgp books seem to be to in depth and don’t go onto the basics.

I require top grades in these subjects and only achieved a grade C in maths GCSE ten years ago (I am a mature student)

Now I don’t know where to start, weather I should study as low as KS3 and learn the basics first then when I start college in September learn from there?

I am open to suggestions, I haven’t really studied towards KS3 before I just sat the GCSE foundation paper.
emily.g34
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The cgp ones are recommended buy most people but dont forget there are lots of websites aswell. When revising i used seneca learning and mathsmadeeasy.co.uk this ine has past papers and revision questions for gcse maths and science.
KS3 is year 7,8 and 9 and GCSEs are KS4 there is no need to go back on yourself. CGP books only cover what you need to know thats why they are highly recommended.
Try taking a mock exam https://www.onmaths.com/mock_exams/?...dBoard=edexcel then see how you do and go from there.

Hope this helps!
jaysha
Rep:
?
Thanks for your reply,

I usually struggle with worded questions, and I require studying Maths and further maths at A level so I wasn’t sure if I had enough problem solving skills to even do the GCSE maths this year and if I should take a step back.

Furthermore would I be better getting the cgp foundation book and working through it before progressing to higher tier?

Thank you
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Corbett Maths (website) is really good and seems ideal for your situation - has videos and questions on each aspect of the gcse maths course
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jaysha)
Thanks for your reply,

I usually struggle with worded questions, and I require studying Maths and further maths at A level so I wasn’t sure if I had enough problem solving skills to even do the GCSE maths this year and if I should take a step back.

Furthermore would I be better getting the cgp foundation book and working through it before progressing to higher tier?

Thank you
The foundation book will just miss out the “higher” topics, I’m not sure the book will be too different aside from this in all honesty
emily.g34
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Umm.. i would say no just go straight to higher tier but it does depended on how confident you feel. Most of the topics are the same HT just has a few more and the questions require more effort, do you know which exam board you will be studying??
jaysha
Rep:
?
(Original post by emily.g34)
Umm.. i would say no just go straight to higher tier but it does depended on how confident you feel. Most of the topics are the same HT just has a few more and the questions require more effort, do you know which exam board you will be studying??
Hi Emily,

That’s great advise thank you.

I will be studying AQA
jaysha
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Corbett Maths (website) is really good and seems ideal for your situation - has videos and questions on each aspect of the gcse maths course
Thanks Laura. I will try this. Do you recommend doing past papers once I have completed all the topics ?
emily.g34
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Emily,

That’s great advise thank you.

I will be studying AQA
thank you and your welcome
have a look at online reviews for books like collins, letts or pocket poster revision guides and see of they suit your style of learning
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks Laura. I will try this. Do you recommend doing past papers once I have completed all the topics ?
Yes! Past papers are amazing revision tools as the questions get you to apply your knowledge rather than just recite it (like in most textbook questions)

The website mathsmadeeasy has lots of past papers on, and I’m sure many others do too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (115)
25.9%
Better than expected (92)
20.72%
Worse than expected (237)
53.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise