Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi206)
    Not unless the bad guys set up the private tracker, or register with one and start tracking

Get a real private tracker...

ReputationRep:
    kam 007, love that pic you have there, how do they expect you to pass urine though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi206)
    Is using Firefox or internet explorer illegal? You can use these progs to download things that you should be paying for...

BTW anyone here gotten a letter from there ISP saying you've been d/l something which you shouldn't of..
    ive had an email saying blah blah blah dont do it again, for downloading a microsoft game.

ReputationRep:
    Bittorrent technology or programs are not illegal, its how you use them. There are many legal uses for bittorrent which people often overlook, some MMOs use them as a low(er) cost way of distributing patches, original video content on the internet etc...
    Using public torrents to download something illegally (yes it is illegal to download) without protection is a sure fire way to getting your ass fined imo, i know two people who've had emails from their ISP telling them that companies have reported their IP about their use of bittorrent (not p2p networks).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    It's not criminal to download copyright material, to the best of my knowledge. If that's what you mean.
    I think that's correct. It's not a criminal offence, but it is still illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Who actually uses bittorrent to download files that DON'T infringe copyrights...??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desmondmac)
    Who actually uses bittorrent to download files that DON'T infringe copyrights...??
    I do.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I do.

ReputationRep:
    I have in the past. Was faster to download a free online game via BitTorrrent than ddl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    Why not?

(See, there I go again.. It's like a complusion! :woo: )
    I know what you mean!

ReputationRep:
    Me... For a Linux Distro.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's nice to know you people exist...but would it be fair to say you're very much in the minority? I don't understand why industry doesn't attack the Bitorrent, Utorrent, Limewire etc that facilitate these downloads...if not close them down at least compel them to do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)
    Right, no one will care if you are downloading. Torrents upload and download, and you can't stop them downloading. Its liek drugs for example police don't care about people who take the drugs are much as the people who actually sell the drugs.

No one will go to court for downloading, as soon as you upload then they will care.
    Wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's nice to know you people exist...but would it be fair to say you're very much in the minority? I don't understand why industry doesn't attack the Bitorrent, Utorrent, Limewire etc that facilitate these downloads...if not close them down at least compel them to do something about it.
    What do you mean 'attack the Bitorrent [sic], Utorrent'? uTorrent is a program with a legitimate, legal purpose. Attacking uTorrent because it can be used for illegal activities is absurd. A car can be used to kill people, to escape the police and for transporting drugs. It doesn't mean cars should be attacked and banned. Perhaps we should ban the sale of kitchen knives because they can be used to kill people. Many things can be used for illegal or unethical purposes. Those aren't grounds to attack or ban them. If so, we'd end up banning pretty much every technological invention of man as a potential accessory to a malicious purpose.

The reason why they don't 'close them down at least compel them to do something about it' is because legally it's a minefield. The Pirate Bay is a perfect example. You can't just bash down the door and start smashing things up (well you can, but it's hard to justify).

BitTorrent is my preferred medium for downloading and uploading GNU/Linux distributions. It perfectly captures the sense of community co-operation that GNU and the FSF attempts to promote. The practical benefits of decentralised distribution is a lovely by-product too.

ReputationRep:
    Should the police attack hardware stores if people were using hammers to commit murder?

ReputationRep:
    Meh, who cares.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who uses BBC iPlayer. Not bit torrent, but identical technology...

ReputationRep:
    lots of people are saying to not use bittorrent or utorrent...?
    which programmes should be used instead of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .pushing.charlotte.)
    I've used pretty much every bittorrent program and i would maintain that utorrent is the best, Vuze second although it uses far too much system resources for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .pushing.charlotte.)
    What do you mean?

From a legal perspective, if you're using the protocol to impinge on copyright, don't use it at all.

People seem to be confusing BitTorrent programs with the protocol though. 'uTorrent' is a program'. 'BitTorrent' is a protocol (although it is also the name of a program, I prefer to call that 'Mainline').

Neither the protocol nor the programs used to utilise the protocol are inherently illegal, which is why they can't be carpet-banned. It's the infringement of the copyright which is illegal. Whether or not you do that through the BitTorrent protocol or by using a DVD-RW, a stack of blank discs and distribute them by hand is irrelevant.

BitTorrent is only as illegal as handing out CD and DVDs are. Neither are illegal, only potentially the files which are being distributed by that medium.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 27, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.