Taking both English Language and Literature at a-level

Watch
Laurellja
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Iv'e seen lots of people say that Literature is more'respected' by uni, but would i be making it harder for myself by taking both? does it make a difference if i did both? my sixth form doesn't offer media, so i was going to chooose sociology, art and english language. Are these also good choices for fashion journalism and a shot at UAL?
Amie_dancer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello!! There is a massive general opinion that Literature is 'more respected' but I think it's totally untrue, it really depends on whether you want to study Literature or Language at University. I personally took English Combined (so Lit and Lang) at A Level and then went on to study English Literature at University and had no problems whatsoever. I think it's better to take the one that you feel more passionate about or that you think you would enjoy more as then you're likely to do better in it which will help your application to uni. I think English Language is a good choice for journalism and you probably don't necessarily need the Literature since journalism is a lot about the use and manipulation of language. I don't know anything about UCL etc so don't quote me on anything but I feel like you'd probably be fine just taking the Language! Hope this helps a bit
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
take both if you enjoy both of them. i did lit and i found it my most difficult a-level, you need to be practicing essays constantly.
leopard202
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I found Language far more useful than Literature. I still use things I’ve learned in academic writing and in verbal communication/presentation they’re incredibly important, such as modules Language and Power, Language and Gender etc.

Literature was a total waste of my time at my sixth form, reading in my own time was a lot more beneficial. Not sure why it’s taken more seriously. It’s More interesting for some but not half as practical
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would take combined just to keep your options open (in the event that you might consider studying literature at university). If, however, you really don't want to do A level English Lit, then don't bother. A level Lang seems like an excellent choice if that's what you really want to do! :rambo:
Laurellja
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Amie_dancer)
Hello!! There is a massive general opinion that Literature is 'more respected' but I think it's totally untrue, it really depends on whether you want to study Literature or Language at University. I personally took English Combined (so Lit and Lang) at A Level and then went on to study English Literature at University and had no problems whatsoever. I think it's better to take the one that you feel more passionate about or that you think you would enjoy more as then you're likely to do better in it which will help your application to uni. I think English Language is a good choice for journalism and you probably don't necessarily need the Literature since journalism is a lot about the use and manipulation of language. I don't know anything about UCL etc so don't quote me on anything but I feel like you'd probably be fine just taking the Language! Hope this helps a bit
Thank you so much for this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (34)
7.94%
Confident (56)
13.08%
Indifferent (60)
14.02%
Unsure (111)
25.93%
Worried (167)
39.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise