Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving into year 13 and i'll be having my braces put on very soon.

Do I give a ****? Not really. Do other people give a ****? Who knows - but if they do - they're probably not worth knowing or talking to anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If the appearance of the braces bothers you so much, would it be possible for you to ask your parents to get invisible braces? I don't know if anyone else has mentioned invisible braces but i've looked into them and they look really good, no one would be able to tell unless you actually told them!

ReputationRep:
    I'm just getting braces in a few days and I'll be starting at university in September!

ReputationRep:
    i just got my braces off a few weeks ago, i've had them since the last term of yr 10, i'm now starting yr 13. So two years and a lil bit. Trust me nobody cares, not many kids had braces that i knew, like 3 max i think, but no one ever said anything. I mean everyone knows what their for, there not unusual or anything. Also i got tons of compliments once i got em off, people saying stuff like, " wow your teeth look so perfect now! I wish i could get braces.".

It will be so much better in the long run, just wear your retainer at nights once you've finished for at least one year, two if you want to make the chances of them going back much lower.

ReputationRep:
    My overbite is much bigger than yours, and I don't want a brace. I think my teeth are cute, and so do many other people.

It's up to you whether or not you want it. I don't think your teeth are that bad.

ReputationRep:
    i'm like 25, and my teeth were messed up before like your as they stuck out like shark teeth. I didn't get them fixed before hand, as I was scared of jaw surgery and regretted it since. made me feel so unconfident around ppl, after barces and 5 teeth out, now they are straight and look so good, that I'm glad it was worth it. So braces aren't bad and worth it in the end. But Still i have to have surgery in a years time. so sh-itin my self.

ReputationRep:
    Personally i say yeah, you need the braces.
    I'd say go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it.

Also, consider maybe getting them whitened.. not meaning to be rude. Just honest. The lower teeth..

ReputationRep:
    I had an underbite and had braces when I was 12 until I was 14 and am so glad I got them so get them! Loads of people of all ages have them nowdays. You'll be glad in years to come. I don't understand why you have to pay though, as mine were completely free but would have cost me around £5,000 to £7,000 pounds (I had 2 night braces and other things done too) and an overbite or underbite isn't exactly cosmetic, is it!

ReputationRep:
    Go get them! You won't regret it. I got braces in year 11, and didn't get them taken off until late year 12. I didn't get made fun of, infact many people had braces in 6th form.

ReputationRep:
    If it will make you feel more confident then go for it. I know loads of people in the sixth form with braces and no-one makes fun of them.

ReputationRep:
    i used to have a pretty bad overbite which my old dentist didnt recognise, then when i moved dentists i was put on the emergancy list for orth treatment!
    i had my first retainer for it when i was in year 5, had train tracks iin year 6 (bearing in mind no-one i knew had them so young so i was the only one) then i had train tracks for 4 years.
    when i finally had them off in year 10 i had perfect teeth and jaw, and my friends had only just started having their braces put on!
    i know one girl in year 13 whos only just had braces, and on-one picks on her cos we've all been through it and know how painful it can be, and shes just admired for going through with it!
    moral of my essay ..... GO FOR IT!! the sooner the better

ReputationRep:
    I had a 13mm overbite and braces for about 3 years - nobody really notices them, to be honest, and now I get complimented for my smile all the time. I wasn't self-conscious about my teeth before I had the braces, but now when I see pictures of myself before I know that I actually looked really goofy and if I'd left it, I would've been so embarassed about it in later life. I'd hate to have gone to uni looking like Bugs Bunny! I'd say get the braces, it's worth it. And make sure you keep your teeth really clean if you get them, because you don't want them leaving marks on your teeth.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it!
    I said no to braces for years but now that I've got them I don't regret it at all. I only got mine last december so I'll have them at uni but it'll be worth it for the end result.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I had braces for 10 years... 'should only be 18months' like **** it was! (There was various problems with the orthadontist during this time by the by!!)

:p: But yeah, get them Can't remember what my overbite use to be like, but i love how they are now! I don't think there's any problems if you decide not to (i still have 3mm overbite, but nothing more can be done unless they brake my jaw!), but it's really not that much of a problem. I have loads of friends who said no to braces when younger and all of them regret it, so if you able to pay for the treatment i'd say do it!

-x-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baby_emmy)
    I had braces for 10 years... 'should only be 18months' like **** it was! (There was various problems with the orthadontist during this time by the by!!)

:p: But yeah, get them Can't remember what my overbite use to be like, but i love how they are now! I don't think there's any problems if you decide not to (i still have 3mm overbite, but nothing more can be done unless they brake my jaw!), but it's really not that much of a problem. I have loads of friends who said no to braces when younger and all of them regret it, so if you able to pay for the treatment i'd say do it!

-x-
    ...10 years :O

ReputationRep:
    My overbite is 12mm, and I didn't get them when I had the chance in Year 8. I'm not sure if they'd still offer them for free, and I don't actually care that much. My brother's just got them going into year 12, and I don't think he's had as much stick as you'd expect. Are you staying on at your current school with them, or moving to a new sixth form or sixth form college? From reading your post it seems like you're staying on. Had you gone to a new one, it would have been perfect timing as you'd have come into college with them and people would have nothing else to judge you on. Not to mention the fact that there's far less bullying at that level and comments would be less likely to have been passed. Anyway, if the overbite bothers you and you have the money, get it done. Better than having braces at uni, probably.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished Year 11 and have an overbite that looks a lot bigger than yours. The £1000 also applies to me but I can't afford it. If you can, go for it. I know I would if I could.

ReputationRep:
    Yea I'd say get them now, after a while people won't be able to imagine you WITHOUT braces, so don't worry about that, and it's completely normal to still have them now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah get them now while you still can. Though I can't understand why you're not getting them free? I had my braces put back on in year 12 because they'd moved and had them all the way through til the end of summer (had them off a year now). I was the only one with braces but no one really cared, it's a small price to pay now for lovely teeth for the rest of your life. I'd say your overbite is pretty big too so i can't understand why it's classed as 'cosmetic', most braces are for cosmetic reasons.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 25, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.