Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just had braces put on today at the dear old age of 19. I think that you maybe should look into why you're not getting them free though. I could have got them on the NHS, but I paid because I wanted slightly less visible ones. Perhaps though it's just because my teeth are pretty bad that I'd have been able to get it on the good old National Health Service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    I've just had braces put on today at the dear old age of 19. I think that you maybe should look into why you're not getting them free though. I could have got them on the NHS, but I paid because I wanted slightly less visible ones. Perhaps though it's just because my teeth are pretty bad that I'd have been able to get it on the good old National Health Service.
    These are on the NHS. Due to cuts in their budget, only severe cases are done for free. The rest are subsidised as they are 'cosmetic' treatments.

ReputationRep:
    I decided to get a brace at the beginning of Year 12, and I can't say it's really bothered me. Most of my friends had braces at some point, and there are a fair number of people with them in sixth form, so, yeah, I don't really mind them, and I don't feel as if I stick out, or anything. I'm still happy that I've only got six more months to go, though!

If I were you, I'd get them now. That way you'll have them off before university, and as most people have said, if it bothers you now, it'll probably keep bothering you. Sixth form flies by anyway, they'll be off before you know it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    These are on the NHS. Due to cuts in their budget, only severe cases are done for free. The rest are subsidised as they are 'cosmetic' treatments.
    Oh right, I must be severe then.

But don't worry about the braces, I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have had a small overbite since year seven. It has now grown to around to 8mm. I have had several trips to the orthodontist where I have either been indecisive or unwilling to have braces. I am now wondering whether I should have them. It will mean getting four teeth out and will cost in the region of £1000 (the NHS class it as cosmetic surgery as my teeth dont really hinder my ability to speak/eat etc.)

The last time I went to the orthodontist, he said it would take approx 2 years to re-align my teeth. I am now going to year 11 and most of my friends are reaching the end of the period of wearing braces. I am worried about feeling out of place in y11/6th form being the only one with braces. Do people make fun of 'late starters'?

Also, are there any defects or health risks to having an overbite?

Quite a few of my friends say I don't 'need' them as my teeth look straight when viewed front on, its only when seen from the side the overbite becomes apparent. Do you think I should get the braces?
    GET THEM DONE, I am 22 now and having problems.

Your jawline will improve with it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have had a small overbite since year seven. It has now grown to around to 8mm. I have had several trips to the orthodontist where I have either been indecisive or unwilling to have braces. I am now wondering whether I should have them. It will mean getting four teeth out and will cost in the region of £1000 (the NHS class it as cosmetic surgery as my teeth dont really hinder my ability to speak/eat etc.)

The last time I went to the orthodontist, he said it would take approx 2 years to re-align my teeth. I am now going to year 11 and most of my friends are reaching the end of the period of wearing braces. I am worried about feeling out of place in y11/6th form being the only one with braces. Do people make fun of 'late starters'?

Also, are there any defects or health risks to having an overbite?

Quite a few of my friends say I don't 'need' them as my teeth look straight when viewed front on, its only when seen from the side the overbite becomes apparent. Do you think I should get the braces?
    Hi there! I am 18 and I have braces. No one says anything about it. So don't worry about that bit. Most people have had braces at some point of their life now-a-days so its no bother. Plus, perfect teeth are worth the effort. Like you i have an overbite but of 13mm last time it was measured. I also have an uneven jaw growth which hinders my eating but not my talking (much to the dismay of my friends!) lol. I'm about to have upper and lower jaw surgery.

The point is having braces or surgery is your choice. Does your overbite bother YOU? Not do you worry about being picked on? In a few years you ont even now the people you're a college with anymore so who cares what they think. My teeth look straight but I know there's an underlying problem. There are plenty of people who would sell their soul to get NHS orthodontic treatment so don't turn it down for vanity. I know braces are unpleasant but it might be worth it. xxx

ReputationRep:
    If it is something you're self-concious about - get them! Seriously, just do it now and by the time you leave 6th form you're teeth should be pretty much sorted. I had a brace for 2 years, and they are abit of a pain, but the results are fantastic! I smile in public now!!!!
    I'd go for it
    Oh and a couple of people in my 6th form had braces still and nobody thought anything of it - they had plenty of friends and I didn't even notice it really

ReputationRep:
    yes, get them done. I regret not having them done when I was younger. I'm 26. I had crooked and uneven teeth, but almost 2 years on. I'm so happy that there straight. The look of the braces didn't bother me at all. So it was worth it. Now I waiting for my top teeth to close the gaps where my teetn use to be, then having lower jaw surgery done.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 25, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.