Is this considered African American?

Watch
KelsieTaylor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Before I begin, I just want to say that this is not meant to offend anyone, I am genuinely curious about it and I have pure intentions. If this offends you or you think it could cause offence, please let me know and I will delete this question. It is just a random question that came to my head when I was procrastinating(basically thinking about random things).
Ok, so basically, I have a friend who is from Algeria, which is a part of Africa. She has extremely fair skin and light brown hair. If she and her family were all born in America and lived there for a few generations, would they be considered African American?
Last edited by KelsieTaylor; 4 days ago
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
No, the US census (controversially) classifies Arabs and Persians as white. Even North African Arabs and Berbers.
KelsieTaylor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Ascend)
No, the US census (controversially) classifies Arabs and Persians as white. Even North African Arabs and Berbers.
Oh okay. Thanks for answering my question
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Whilst Algeria might technically be on the African continent (such as Egypt) they would be considered by most to be Arabs. Plus the rather peculiar way that the census does things (as Ascend noted).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (56)
19.18%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (63)
21.58%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
19.86%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (63)
21.58%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (26)
8.9%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
8.9%

Watched Threads