The Student Room Group

If you are white and prefer to live amongst white people is that racist

Is it racist to want to live amongst mostly white people if you are white?

They have a programme about it on the telly every afternoon.
It's called "The white flight show"

Well actually it's called "Escape to the country" but it may as well be called that as the vast majority are white middle class people and I have never seen anyone moving to a more diverse area from where they currently live.

Scroll to see replies

Yes because when you prefer to live with others of the same race purely because of their skin colour, whether intentionally or not, that is racist because you have inherent prejudices against other races
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Yes.

Inevitably based on "a belief that the members of different racial or ethnic groups possess specific characteristics, abilities, or qualities, which can be compared and evaluated" (OED definition of racism), the intention to specifically want to segregate on racial grounds is racist.

Original post by Just my opinion
I have never seen anyone moving to a more diverse area from where they currently live.

You have never seen countryfolk move to cities?
Reply 3
No. Asians and black people like living with other Asians and blacks and it’s no different with whites
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes its racist. People who are saying no are probably racist
If you're doing it solely because they're white, yes.
Original post by Toscana
No. Asians and black people like living with other Asians and blacks and it’s no different with whites

'Other people do it too' doesn't stop it from being racist.
it's the 'prefer to live amongst white people' that is racist, because you're automatically put off by anyone of a different race because of the colour of their skin. that is racism.
Original post by Toscana

Just because they do it doesn't make it fine
Reply 9
Well if your against living among people of other races, than yes.
Its definitely not racist. Just because you want to live with people similar to you doesn't mean you dislike or discriminate a particular race. Im asian and i prefer living in areas with more asian people, not because i have anything against white people, but because theres more people similar to me, with a similar culture so more relatable etc.
Original post by Ascend
You have never seen countryfolk move to cities?

I was talking about in the show where no, I have never seen anybody move to a more diverse area. It's always the opposite.
Thats like saying its sexist for boys to prefer having male friends or vice versa.
Original post by Ascend
"a belief that the members of different racial or ethnic groups possess specific characteristics, abilities, or qualities, which can be compared and evaluated" (OED definition of racism)

That strikes me as a BS definition. Those dons need to get out more. Racism ought to be defined in terms of unfair treatment of people based on their race.
I was talking about in the show where no, I have never seen anybody move to a more diverse area. It's always the opposite.

That's because the countryside is predominantly white. Non-white people tend to live more in urban and urban-rural areas. I'd imagine most people don't move to the countryside because it's majority white but rather because it's a nicer place to live than urban places (quieter, less traffic, better environment, etc).

Original post by zizaabmissan
Its definitely not racist. Just because you want to live with people similar to you doesn't mean you dislike or discriminate a particular race. Im asian and i prefer living in areas with more asian people, not because i have anything against white people, but because theres more people similar to me, with a similar culture so more relatable etc.

I think this is different to what the OP presented. The OP made no conditions on living with people who were relatable and had a similar culture.
Is it racist to want to live amongst mostly white people if you are white?

They have a programme about it on the telly every afternoon.
It's called "The white flight show"

Well actually it's called "Escape to the country" but it may as well be called that as the vast majority are white middle class people and I have never seen anyone moving to a more diverse area from where they currently live.

That's a bit of a forced analogy, even for you. The British countryside has never exactly been awash with immigrants - as the countryside isn't in any country. Immigrants are drawn to towns and cities where they can find work. Thus, no-one with two brain cells to rub together would expect Escape To The Country to feature couples 'moving to a more diverse area'.

Also, if you're watching Old Lady television in the afternoon like ETTC each afternoon, something has gone badly wrong in your life: lockdown or no lockdown.
Original post by zizaabmissan
Thats like saying its sexist for boys to prefer having male friends or vice versa.

Gender makes you think differently etc. Race is literally the difference of your skin colour. its not comparable
Original post by Justvisited
That strikes me as a BS definition. Those dons need to get out more. Racism ought to be defined in terms of unfair treatment of people based on their race.

It is the official definition. Deal with it
I very much doubt that they choose areas based on race. Why did you create this thread?
Original post by YaliaV
I very much doubt that they choose areas based on race. Why did you create this thread?

Race baiting, probably.

Quick Reply