What laptop is best for university

Watch
Zoemann18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Any recommendations for a decent laptop for uni? I'll be doing history so don't need anything fancy, just decent enough for uni work and netflix.
Want it to be portable, fast, last the 3 years and no more than £350
Last edited by Zoemann18; 3 days ago
Anonymous #1
Report 3 days ago
I have a Lenovo s340 and I've had it for a year now and it's still the exact same as when I had it But I've had lenovos in the past that haven't lasted a year so I understand your struggle! Are you looking to buy now or in September? There are usually discounts closer to September/in September plus I'm not sure if it's the same where you are going to uni but we had a student discounts day and they had 35% off laptops including i3's- I think there was a HP i3 ssd for £349.99 when I looked. In my MA, most of the students have HP. I was put off those as my friend said the battery gets overheated but the people on my course have no problems with theirs. Are you living on campus? Does your uni offer laptop loans? My friend did that because she couldn't find a decent one and it suited her until black Friday until she was able to get one for a good deal This probably isn't helpful as I can't suggest certain laptops-it took me months to make a decision, I'm terrible haha but I would suggest looking at getting an SSD because they really are faster and these laptops are a lot lighter!
Anonymous #1
Report 3 days ago
But I would say, if you are like me and overthink-part of my issue was whether to get an intel or an AMD. Having had both, I can honestly say I can't tell the difference in performance. My first laptop was AMD, as is the one I'm currently using, and they've both lasted longer than my intel one.
Zoemann18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have a Lenovo s340 and I've had it for a year now and it's still the exact same as when I had it But I've had lenovos in the past that haven't lasted a year so I understand your struggle! Are you looking to buy now or in September? There are usually discounts closer to September/in September plus I'm not sure if it's the same where you are going to uni but we had a student discounts day and they had 35% off laptops including i3's- I think there was a HP i3 ssd for £349.99 when I looked. In my MA, most of the students have HP. I was put off those as my friend said the battery gets overheated but the people on my course have no problems with theirs. Are you living on campus? Does your uni offer laptop loans? My friend did that because she couldn't find a decent one and it suited her until black Friday until she was able to get one for a good deal This probably isn't helpful as I can't suggest certain laptops-it took me months to make a decision, I'm terrible haha but I would suggest looking at getting an SSD because they really are faster and these laptops are a lot lighter!
i’m not really fussed about when i buy tbh, thank you for the advice on sales! think i will definitely wait now x
Anonymous #1
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Zoemann18)
i’m not really fussed about when i buy tbh, thank you for the advice on sales! think i will definitely wait now x
You're welcome! I just had a look on argos and the prices were ridiculous! Can't seem to get on currys for some reason -_- but yeah, I bought mine in October (because I was travelling-my course was at night) and it was quite cheap, like £256 for an 8gb AMD SSD down from £299 so I would maybe narrow your search down and then just keep looking incase the price goes down Where will you be studying?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Zoemann18)
Hi there!

I personally would recommend Lenovo or Dell.

HP can be cheap but their quality matches the cost.

I have had my Lenovo for 5 years now and it is running well. Granted it was £650 when i first bought it but buying one for £350 should get you a good budget pc that should last.

I hope this helps.

Patrick :lep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (51)
19.39%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (58)
22.05%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (50)
19.01%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (55)
20.91%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (25)
9.51%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
9.13%

Watched Threads