CandyAngel1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hi all! I am a social work student and could really do with your opinions on how you believe your mental health is affected by social media use for my dissertation. Do you feel it has a negative impact? Have you experienced cyberbullying, do you compare yourself to others online with regards to your appearance, abilities or social life, or do you find it hard to stop checking for messages or posts and therefore find it difficult to shut down and relax? Has social media contributed to low self-esteem, anxiety or depression? Or maybe you feel it has had a positive impact it that it allows you to make social connections and find support, allows you to be creative or to develop new knowledge.

Please please help! If you could also add your age to your posts as this would be really helpful.

Many thanks up front!
Stuntman_82
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I think social media is not all bad depending on how often you use it. Like I saw an improvement in my mood when I cut the time I used on social media (can check app usage time on phone) to about 1 hour a day (this goes for things like instagram, facebook, snapchat combined). It also depends on what kind of social media you use such as reddit vs facebook (reddit had less of an affect than facebook when I cut down on it).
Tash8790
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by CandyAngel1)
Hi all! I am a social work student and could really do with your opinions on how you believe your mental health is affected by social media use for my dissertation. Do you feel it has a negative impact? Have you experienced cyberbullying, do you compare yourself to others online with regards to your appearance, abilities or social life, or do you find it hard to stop checking for messages or posts and therefore find it difficult to shut down and relax? Has social media contributed to low self-esteem, anxiety or depression? Or maybe you feel it has had a positive impact it that it allows you to make social connections and find support, allows you to be creative or to develop new knowledge.

Please please help! If you could also add your age to your posts as this would be really helpful.

Many thanks up front!
I think a mixture off it, i used to find that I would get cyber bullied at a young age but more by people I knew. It also used to make me feel self conscious and o used to always be very cautious about what I posted and weather someone would make fun off me. I used to simply post a photo of my cat and I would get people making fun it made me only keep a few people on there and when I declined or blocked people from following me they would laugh at me for it. It has changed a lot though I love using it for following people and groups of activities I like and the uni I want to go to and stuff and I enjoy talking to some people on Snapchat and things especially during lockdown it’s very useful I would say that a lot off people do put people down on it for vile reasons and some people of course use it for unthinkable reasons which is disgusting which has of course affected a lot of people it is also great for spreading awareness of mental health. Like I keep seeing this lady on tiktok getting bullied because she has reborns for therapy reasons people are attacking her for no reason which is just a downside to social media that people attack others for being themselves there is still a fair amount of body shaming used on it social media could Definitely do with something to check comments for phrases that are horrible or maybe they should have to be checked before others can see them. As this could improve people’s mental health Massively and especially with a lot of people who have taken their life due to comment it could save lives
Kiran022
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by CandyAngel1)

Many thanks up front!
Personally I feel that my mental health is not negatively affected by social media, I use social media to an extent but I am not highly dependent on it. I typically use it between 1-2 hours a day. I feel on my mental health is not negatively impacted by social media, however for some individuals it can be, and this has been evident in research findings etc. I personally think it will only affect an individuals mental health if they let it, so how they use social media can highly impact an individual's mental health. I have never experienced cyberbullying, I think this may be because I only follow people I know, which is important! Also i never compare myself to others online, because its not healthy and not realistic, the things which people post online can not be reliable and I feel the reason why people social media can affect an individuals mental health, is because online people only post their positives and not negatives!

Also, hope that helps! would you be able to complete mine research survey, thanks!
https://dmupsy.qualtrics.com/jfe/for...ao7Xp1yiJREpU1
cloud_9_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Age 16
last year I used social media a lot and that really affected my mental health because I was always comparing myself to all these ppl who seemed to have such amazing lives compared to me who would always be stuck at home doing nothing. I do believe it gave me anxiety because I never posted anything on insta out of the fear that I would get ridiculed for it. Enough was enough so I decided to delete social media for a month to see if I would get better and that month was amazing and I had lots more free time. the only reason I decided to go back to it was so I could continue communicating with friends. Now, instead of just deleting the apps as a whole, I unfollow or mute ppl who I find myself comparing my life to. Overall, social media doesn't have to affect mental health if u use it responsibly and carefully.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (46)
20.63%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (51)
22.87%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (41)
18.39%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (45)
20.18%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (22)
9.87%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
8.07%

Watched Threads