The Student Room Group

University of law, how well known and competitive is it? Is it a good University?

How good/ competitive is the University of Law? I want to study law at uni and have predictions of AAB, which fits their requirement. I was wondering if they are well known and if I could get offers from firms especially when it comes to magic circles with a degree from there.

Scroll to see replies

I don’t think it’s very competitive but it’s a good uni to find a job after graduation. They have good connections with various firms apparently.
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
I don’t think it’s very competitive but it’s a good uni to find a job after graduation. They have good connections with various firms apparently.

Thank you!
its not competitive but they’re really supportive in terms on finding a job after your degree. but with your predictions i would aim a little higher up into more reputable unis! up to you tho, just a suggestion (:
They are more well known for their LPC and GDL and more postgraduate courses. They arent that competitive compared to others but they are decent. You wont be disadvantaged if you wanted to apply to MC firms if you have a strong application
Original post by Cheesecake101
its not competitive but they’re really supportive in terms on finding a job after your degree. but with your predictions i would aim a little higher up into more reputable unis! up to you tho, just a suggestion (:

Thank you so much! The only problem is that I don't really know any other Unis in London which would accept me (without it being a risk) such as kings, ucl or any competitive competitive law school. If you have any recommendations it would really help!
Thank you!
Original post by PetitePanda
They are more well known for their LPC and GDL and more postgraduate courses. They arent that competitive compared to others but they are decent. You wont be disadvantaged if you wanted to apply to MC firms if you have a strong application

Thank you!
Original post by roro_xo
Thank you so much! The only problem is that I don't really know any other Unis in London which would accept me (without it being a risk) such as kings, ucl or any competitive competitive law school. If you have any recommendations it would really help!

why not? (:
why not? (:

Most competitive Unis require A*AAs and I don't think I'm going to get an offer with the predictions i have. I know that they're not bad at all but I don't think that they'll easily get me in the top Unis since there are probably a lot of people who do meet their requirements.
Original post by roro_xo
Most competitive Unis require A*AAs and I don't think I'm going to get an offer with the predictions i have. I know that they're not bad at all but I don't think that they'll easily get me in the top Unis since there are probably a lot of people who do meet their requirements.

if you think you can get higher than your predictions you should definitely still apply. also maybe have a look at reading university or surrey?
if you think you can get higher than your predictions you should definitely still apply. also maybe have a look at reading university or surrey?

Thank you!!
I know OP can possibly do better. I was giving suggestions for other universities IN LONDON like OP needs and the ones I mentioned are better than the university of laws in so many ways.

Also not everyone can move/travel outside London. I know I won’t be able to. That’s why I would look for a university in London like OP.

If I were him/her i would apply to at least 1 university with entry requirements higher than their predictions. You can go through adjustment/clearing.

All of what I said is much better than going to a uni with a lower entry requirement than what the OP is predicted when they are capable of much more
Original post by roro_xo

If you are restricted to London you will find it difficult with AAB predictions to find a suitable uni; there are much better ones for AAB people outside London.

As @Euphoria101 suggested I would see if you could get your predictions increased to AAA so that you could apply to QMUL. If you can't do that or realistically feel that you would be lucky to get AAB, the next best bet is probably City uni. If you are able to travel a little outside London, I would also look at Southampton, Reading and Royal Holloway, which is part of the University of London but based in Surrey.
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you! The only reason why I'm asking for Unis in London is because I'm most likely not going to be able to move out.
Original post by harrysbar
If you are restricted to London you will find it difficult with AAB predictions to find a suitable uni; there are much better ones for AAB people outside London.

As @Euphoria101 suggested I would see if you could get your predictions increased to AAA so that you could apply to QMUL. If you can't do that or realistically feel that you would be lucky to get AAB, the next best bet is probably City uni. If you are able to travel a little outside London, I would also look at Southampton, Reading and Royal Holloway, which is part of the University of London but based in Surrey.

Thank you!
No, it's not about me thinking I can't achieve higher than an B but more about my teachers being able to increase my grade. Personally, I think I'll be able to even get an A* for art but again its more about my teachers.
I know OP can possibly do better. I was giving suggestions for other universities IN LONDON like OP needs and the ones I mentioned are better than the university of laws in so many ways.

Also not everyone can move/travel outside London. I know I won’t be able to. That’s why I would look for a university in London like OP.

If I were him/her i would apply to at least 1 university with entry requirements higher than their predictions. You can go through adjustment/clearing.

All of what I said is much better than going to a uni with a lower entry requirement than what the OP is predicted when they are capable of much more

Thank you! You're right, I don't think I'm going to be able to move out of London but I'm going t try and ask my teachers if they're willing to change my grade.
Uni of Law was one of my 5 choices for London law unis (though i was restricted to only those doing 2 years)

It was GOLD TFL when i looked 2 years ago, though now silver. I loved the branded pens and post it notes. Campus seemed nice but really it was just a large training provider building.

(I also considered City/Grenwich and bloomsbury - ignore that last one and got into QMUL so am there as i wanted more of a university experience (even at my age of 47), i mean i have not actually done any sports or societies but i could! i also fancied learning languages and doing writing courses which i have done).
Original post by Catherine1973
Uni of Law was one of my 5 choices for London law unis (though i was restricted to only those doing 2 years)

It was GOLD TFL when i looked 2 years ago, though now silver. I loved the branded pens and post it notes. Campus seemed nice but really it was just a large training provider building.

(I also considered City/Grenwich and bloomsbury - ignore that last one and got into QMUL so am there as i wanted more of a university experience (even at my age of 47), i mean i have not actually done any sports or societies but i could! i also fancied learning languages and doing writing courses which i have done).

Thank you!!
That’s a very good point. I don’t have as much insider knowledge as you do. I just based my recommendation on what I had read on their website when I was considering doing a law conversion. But still, tbh I don’t think it’s a bad place to do law. Sure, if you had to pick between LSE/KCL and ULaw then it’s an easy call but I didn’t take OPs question that way.
I think ULaw is a private uni anyways, so OP can apply outside of UCAS and still have his 5 choices. Am I right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending