I Have no idea what i want to do

Watch
Jon Organ
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi, I graduated Bournemouth unviersity last year with First class honours in Sports Management but i have absolutely no idea what i want to do. There's nothing i am really passionate about or can say i can picture myself doing. I have applied to numerous jobs covering all different types of sectors as i figured if there was nothing i was passionate about then i am going to just have to get out there and try - however in all the roles i have applied for i have either been rejected or received no reply. So its safe to say i am very demoralised right now, not knowing where i am heading and not able to get an interview anywhere. I guess my question is what do you do when you have no idea what career you want to pursue but also cant seem to get an interview - Has anyone been through a similar situation and how did they resolve it? This situation is has been really detrimental on my mental health as I feel like a complete failure at this point. Please any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated - thanks
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I mean I am fortunate I have had interviews, but I do feel like you at times that I don't know what to really do. Instead of thinking of specific jobs, I tell myself (as a random example):

- I'd rather have a technical role.
- I'd rather a role where I travel abroad
- I'd rather a role where I engage with people rather than work on my own

These aren't my actual ideals, but just to give you an idea about how I personally figure out whether a job sounds attractive to me. It helps a little bit. Like I actually don't really want to travel abroad, so when any role says "includes international travel" I'm sort of "meh". Everyone will be able to produce a list like this. Like, its similar to television - you like some shows and you hate others. So maybe prefer working at a desk, rather than working outdoors in the field. Maybe you like fixing things (think technician) rather than designing things.

Regarding not getting an interview, yup, it is difficult. Have you been able to get any feedback? It might help having another individual read your CV. TheStudentRoom provides this service free of charge, so its worth a try! As a general rule of thumb, CV's are 1 to 2 pages (and in my personal opinion should be 1 unless you have very relevant skills to add), should be detailed enough to demonstrate a certain skill or competency but short and to the point and lastly, remove any irrelevant parts. This last part I've found very difficult because everything you do could be turned into a positive and a sign of a skill or strength.

I guess you just have to sell the "very best of you", rather than "all" of you, so to speak and "the very best of you" will vary for each role.
Last edited by 0le; 5 days ago
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you can't (instantly) find a safe working place - can you consider bumping-up your qualification with a more carefully focussed Master in something?

As you got an excellent first at Bournemouth, you should be instantly accepted into a Master course at say, Exeter, or Stirling, or Loughborough etc

Some of my colleagues say that an MA/MSc is a waste of time, that "just get a job: a degree is all you need" - other colleagues, say that in UK & EU, due to degree-flation, grade-flation, "first"-flation or simplification over the last decades {it's actually all very complicated: Grade inflation, Grading leniency, awarding progressively higher than would have been done historically - Yes, I guess is now endemic, as $$$ is being made} So those colleagues are strongly for the best Master that you can get...

I'm not saying this is the case in your specific case, it's more of a background thing. One positive way out, would be a two-year Master at , say, a Dutch university (say) where one of the years was a stage/internship. that gives you experience, which is what companies are looking for, as much as a great degree!

Research that I read - from a bachelor degree holder in Paris, they applied to (claimed) 100 jobs and received 3 replies/offers. They repeated the same in Asia, which is booming (pre-covid, soon post-covid) and with 20 applications they received 20 invitations to an physical interview (put it down partly to less emphasis on modern management, and companies still have some politeness, morals)

Teaching job in Shanghai?

see what others say, as my input is often a bit random
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Jon Organ)
Hi, I graduated Bournemouth unviersity last year with First class honours in Sports Management but i have absolutely no idea what i want to do. There's nothing i am really passionate about or can say i can picture myself doing. I have applied to numerous jobs covering all different types of sectors as i figured if there was nothing i was passionate about then i am going to just have to get out there and try - however in all the roles i have applied for i have either been rejected or received no reply. So its safe to say i am very demoralised right now, not knowing where i am heading and not able to get an interview anywhere. I guess my question is what do you do when you have no idea what career you want to pursue but also cant seem to get an interview - Has anyone been through a similar situation and how did they resolve it? This situation is has been really detrimental on my mental health as I feel like a complete failure at this point. Please any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated - thanks
Hi Jon Organ,

Firstly congratulations on graduating with a 1st class honours degree that is something to be immensely proud of in itself.

Secondly, during your course was there a certain aspect that you particularly enjoyed?
I ask this as here at Loughborough we offer a number of MSc/ MA programmes that you may be interested in. You can still apply for a master's programme with us and can find a list of what we offer here. However, you can also use this aspect of your course to inform what career is the best option for you.

Drop us a PM and we can discuss this further if it is something that you are interested in.
Best Wishes,
Emily
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.27%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.41%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (61)
18.65%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (69)
21.1%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.79%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.79%

Watched Threads