archivalzebra
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I’ve just finished year 11 & i’m predicting to get 8s & 9s in my GCSEs. I’m really interesting in maths and physics and I am wishing to study either of them at degree level. I have chosen to study maths, further maths, physics and geography at a-level as I quite enjoy geography and my college have said that I have to do further maths as a 4th option. However, I would like to have a go at applying to either Oxford or Cambridge, and I’ve heard that an EPQ would raise the chances of me getting in. I know doing both further maths and epq would be a lot of work so I want to choose one. What would you recommend I choose - keeping in mind that I’m thinking about Oxbridge?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by archivalzebra)
Hi, I’ve just finished year 11 & i’m predicting to get 8s & 9s in my GCSEs. I’m really interesting in maths and physics and I am wishing to study either of them at degree level. I have chosen to study maths, further maths, physics and geography at a-level as I quite enjoy geography and my college have said that I have to do further maths as a 4th option. However, I would like to have a go at applying to either Oxford or Cambridge, and I’ve heard that an EPQ would raise the chances of me getting in. I know doing both further maths and epq would be a lot of work so I want to choose one. What would you recommend I choose - keeping in mind that I’m thinking about Oxbridge?
100% FM if you're intending on doing either Maths, Physics or similar at Oxbridge or otherwise.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yup. 100% do FM rather than an EPQ if you are thinking of studying Maths, Physics, Engineering or Comp Sci.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by archivalzebra)
Doing an EPQ is unlikely to raise your chances of getting in, but an A-level in Further Mathematics is extremely useful both during the application, and when you start at uni.

In fact, if you have set your sights on Cambridge or Oxford to read Maths & Physics, remember it is often difficult to get a place without FM (especially as your school offers it).
TD2.718
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you don't have Further maths both Oxford and Cambridge will reject you without a second thought. It is essential for any stem applicant. I'm currently studying maths, further maths, physics, EPQ, Spanish and hoping to go onto physics-ey degrees at Russell group unis.It is not too much to do all of them together if your smart enough and work hard. By the sounds of it you are so I would suggest begining with all five however if it gets too much you can drop one. (For a physics Oxbridge applicant either geo or EPQ) also one last piece of advice; further maths is hard and you need to be both good and enthusiastic about it. At my college we started with 25 FM students and now we are down to 13.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (34)
7.94%
Confident (56)
13.08%
Indifferent (60)
14.02%
Unsure (111)
25.93%
Worried (167)
39.02%

Watched Threads