Want more information about this university?
Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi all,

I am a current 2nd year student at Aberystwyth University studying Veterinary Biosciences.

Ordinarily before making a university application, many people look around many different universities before making their final decisions. However, this year is far from ordinary and with the cancellation of many Open Days, the importance of Online Open Days has grown significantly.

Online visits are a very different experience, however they can still help you find out all the information necessary and get a feel of the university to help you make an informed decision.

Here are a couple of tips and tricks to help you the most out of your next online open day! 😊

1. Narrowing down Universities
Do your research before signing up to online open days. Using the UCAS search you can find the universities that offer the courses that you are interested in. You can also filter by entry requirements and how far you want to travel from home. Looking at the information on the universities website will help you judge whether the course and university is for you and will also help you think of any specific questions you want to ask – whether that be for academic staff or questions about university life for current students.

2. Utilise chat rooms to talk to academic staff, university staff and student ambassadors
This is your opportunity to ask any questions you have about the course, the university or student life. You can use this opportunity to see the questions others have asked, there may be questions you have not thought of.

3. Chat online to course lecturers
You will be able to directly contact course lecturers who will be able to answer any specific questions you may have regarding the course – whether that be about module content, how the course is taught/assessed or placement opportunities etc. This is a great opportunity to gain a greater understanding of the course you are interested in and the teaching style at the University.

4. Look at the range of scholarships and bursaries could help your finances
Here at Aberystwyth we have a wide range of scholarships and bursaries available to help you fund your studies. These are essentially free money and do not need to be repaid. So it’s worth taking some time out to find out more about the scholarships and bursaries available, see how you can qualify for them and to apply.

5. Take a panoramic tour of our campus and accommodation
Despite physical campus tours not being available at the current time you can still have a look around the campus and accommodation online. This will give you an idea of where you would potentially be studying and living, in addition to view the facilities available on campus. I would also recommend having a look for any videos or virtual tours of the town/city that the university is located in. This will give you more of an idea of what the town/city is like as well as the general vibe.

Our next Online Open Day at Aberystwyth University will be held on Monday the 6th July 2020. You can register here for our Online Open Day and live chat with staff and academics. Get your study and student life questions answered and gain access to videos and other resources. We look forward to meeting you online!

Have you attended an Online Open Day or intend to attend an Online Open Day? Share you experience with other students below!

Rebecca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (58)
17.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (95)
28.11%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (130)
38.46%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.02%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.25%

Watched Threads