RyanThomas00
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 22 hours ago
Hello!

I'm currently 19 years old; When I finished my A levels; I was rejected from the course I wanted as I didn't have enough UCAS Tariff points. After this I tried looking for online courses to try get this up, but after seeing how expensive this is, realised I couldn't afford it.

Now. Covid-19 has made me realise that, I wan't to go University, I now know you only live once and the university experience i know i can't miss out on... But I only have 48 UCAS points for several reasons.

now I'm wondering if there are ways to push this up a bit to increase chances? I feel if I apply for 2021 and get rejected, I just wasted a year of my life, and my chances of even going to University at all decrease. But, if I go onto Open university; I still have the money issues, while also having to spend 2 more years working from Home, which is exactly what I want to get away from!

I'm hoping there are some ways to get into University, Courses in Uni that raises your points allowing you to continue onto a higher course? Other ways to raise your UCAS points quickly (with some work ofcourse)
I'm a smart student; I just had some events which prevented me going to school to get high enough grades. And now I'm stuck in this weird spot, where University's aren't answering my questions or helping me out and I can't find any help online.

Any suggestions would be nice; I'm just lost.
GentleSoul
Rep:
?
Report 21 hours ago
What about a foundation year? Is this at all possible. Some courses offer a 4 year degree course, with the first giving you similar to an access course.

Or there is the 12 month Access to Higher Education course (which is also funded) - although I am uncertain if your age plays a role in that?
RyanThomas00
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 21 hours ago
(Original post by GentleSoul)
What about a foundation year? Is this at all possible. Some courses offer a 4 year degree course, with the first giving you similar to an access course.

Or there is the 12 month Access to Higher Education course (which is also funded) - although I am uncertain if your age plays a role in that?
all the 4 year courses around me require double my UCAS points; although If the first year is a sort of access course I would be willing to do that, Foundation years are around me although the requirements seem to be for people just coming out of College (17-18) so I'm not sure if I would... be comfortable in that.

I have not looked into 12 month access to HE courses as dont know those existed, although it sounds very similar to Foundation year courses
GentleSoul
Rep:
?
Report 21 hours ago
You'd be surprised - I am 36 and applying for a foundation course! There's A LOT of Mature students, take a look into it. Foundation years seem to BE the access course for those who either haven't been in education for a while or need recent study. Take a look at them. I wouldn't worry about 17-18 yr old people being on the course in the slightest, your progression in education is personal. And besides, you aren't that much older :P

They will be your only choices really, unless you chose to do vocational qualifications which are expensive and can take months in some cases. If I were you, I'd get on the foundation year at Uni OR get on an access course which is funded (and from what I have read, cheaper than the £9250 tuition fee).
RyanThomas00
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 21 hours ago
What would I search to find access courses near me? As I would like to leave for uni as soon as I could.

The Foundation courses near me are not at the university, and at a college; I'm not sure if that would change anything?
GentleSoul
Rep:
?
Report 21 hours ago
(Original post by RyanThomas00)
What would I search to find access courses near me? As I would like to leave for uni as soon as I could.

The Foundation courses near me are not at the university, and at a college; I'm not sure if that would change anything?
Go to your local colleges, and check on the Access to HE courses. The foundation year is still the same, it would just prepare you for the year. I think my course requires 72 UCAS points though but maybe some universities would be lenient if you explained the situation?
RyanThomas00
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 20 hours ago
(Original post by GentleSoul)
Go to your local colleges, and check on the Access to HE courses. The foundation year is still the same, it would just prepare you for the year. I think my course requires 72 UCAS points though but maybe some universities would be lenient if you explained the situation?
I have found Access to HE Courses in the college, Years 19+ so Perfect for me?
I'd need to find my own housing and such which isnt ideal but if it will get me into Uni in a year it's worth it?
GentleSoul
Rep:
?
Report 19 hours ago
(Original post by RyanThomas00)
I have found Access to HE Courses in the college, Years 19+ so Perfect for me?
I'd need to find my own housing and such which isnt ideal but if it will get me into Uni in a year it's worth it?
It absolutely is worth it - yes the course is ideal! Exciting! I would get applying to all that you are interested in and as for finding somewhere to live, even renting a room in a shared house is brilliant. Check out spareroom.co.uk or whatever the site is. Some don't require a deposit Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (29)
19.73%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (38)
25.85%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (21)
14.29%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (35)
23.81%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (12)
8.16%
I haven't started researching yet (12)
8.16%

Watched Threads