The Student Room Group

Moving to school in Scotland?

I’m likely going to be moving with my dad in Scotland this August how do i go about getting into a high school? considering i’ve finished year 11 this year i should be going into S5 i Scotland
I don't know how to go about the legal stuff, you might wanna leave that to your dad. But I am in Scotland and just turned s6, so if you have any more specific queries about how things work and school life I would be happy to help. Feel free to pm me
Hello,

I’ll be going into S6 aswell and you can Message me if you want about schools in Scotland but I’ll tell you some basic things:

-We have 3 levels (Adv higher, higher, nat 5s) we also got nat 4 to nat 1 but those aren’t important.
- it’s flexible meaning you get to do a mixture of levels
- exams aren’t that stressful as A-levels or gcses (imo)

And that’s it hope it helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
You'll be able to get into a public school that you are in the catchment area for, I presume that you have to provide something like your address. I think you will be guaranteed entry as (in highschools) there are nearly always extra spaces- and if you are in the catchment area for it then I'm pretty sure they have to let you in.
You can also apply to schools outside the catchment area, if you think they are a better choice for you, or if your parents work near there etc. They will probably still let you in, it isn't like in England where primary school classes all go to different high schools (most- there are exceptions- people in your primary class will go to the same highschool)

I don't know anything about private schools, so couldn't help you on that.
Also you can go to catholic schools which are good if you are religious as they are more likely to be accommodating to any religious belief you may hold (other schools have to this as well but just usually religious schools have like more private space for any faith, eg Islam). Again not sure how common this is, but in my town there are 3 highschools (capacities of about 1,800) and 1 of them is a catholic one so there should probably be nearby to where you are moving.

Any questions about schooling just ask, hope this clears things up! And if you need specific help with schools or whatever, the local council of where you are moving too should be able to help.
Original post by Kubsyy
Hello,

I’ll be going into S6 aswell and you can Message me if you want about schools in Scotland but I’ll tell you some basic things:

-We have 3 levels (Adv higher, higher, nat 5s) we also got nat 4 to nat 1 but those aren’t important.
- it’s flexible meaning you get to do a mixture of levels
- exams aren’t that stressful as A-levels or gcses (imo)

And that’s it hope it help

I don't agree with the stressful part especially for advanced highers which are harder than A-levels (Even for medicine the minimum entry requirements for AH's are BB vs AAA in A-levels). It's also way harder to arrange resits for advanced highers than A-levels especially in sciences.
Original post by Nessie162
I don't agree with the stressful part especially for advanced highers which are harder than A-levels (Even for medicine the minimum entry requirements for AH's are BB vs AAA in A-levels). It's also way harder to arrange resits for advanced highers than A-levels especially in sciences.

I know AH are hard and the assignments are the most stressful part. I think are grade requirements are lower as the highest grade we can receive is an A for uni entry while at Alevels its an A* so both require the second highest grade.
Hey hope all goes well, I don’t know about legal stuff but if you are registered into the system you will be put in a school by catchment area! Hope you have a great time and the kids are too chavy

Quick Reply

Latest