Clare127
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi,

Could someone please clarify some things for me as I keep being told different things.

A bit of background - I started university (full time at Edge Hill) in 2008. I completed my first year and then decided that the course wasn't for me so switched to another university (also full time at LJMU) in 2009. I got mid way through my second year (to December 2010) and ended up dropping out due to various reasons, the main one being I realised how awful the teaching was and that I was on track to get a bad grade. This means I have used 3 years worth of full time student finance funding and have 2 CertHE exit awards.

Now, I would like to return to university on a part time basis to finally get a degree as a mature applicant and I'm looking at my options. I know there are some exemption courses where I could get funding again regardless of prior study if it is part time (STEM related courses) but I have also been told that the funding works differently for part time study and as I currently only have 2 CertHEs, I could be fully funded for any part time degree subject as I would be getting a higher qualification (degree) to the one I already have (CertHE).

I would just like some clarification on what is accurate as I have heard that I can't get any funding at all even for part time unless it is an exemption subject as I have used 3 years of funding already and also that I can get fully funded regardless of the subject if I do it part time as you have up to 16 years worth of part time funding available.

Also I know Psychology is an exemption subject if studied part time, but one of the courses I am considering is Psychology with Psychotherapy and Counselling so would this also come under that exemption as it involves Psychology?

Kind regards,

Clare
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Clare127)
Hi,

Could someone please clarify some things for me as I keep being told different things.

A bit of background - I started university (full time at Edge Hill) in 2008. I completed my first year and then decided that the course wasn't for me so switched to another university (also full time at LJMU) in 2009. I got mid way through my second year (to December 2010) and ended up dropping out due to various reasons, the main one being I realised how awful the teaching was and that I was on track to get a bad grade. This means I have used 3 years worth of full time student finance funding and have 2 CertHE exit awards.

Now, I would like to return to university on a part time basis to finally get a degree as a mature applicant and I'm looking at my options. I know there are some exemption courses where I could get funding again regardless of prior study if it is part time (STEM related courses) but I have also been told that the funding works differently for part time study and as I currently only have 2 CertHEs, I could be fully funded for any part time degree subject as I would be getting a higher qualification (degree) to the one I already have (CertHE).

I would just like some clarification on what is accurate as I have heard that I can't get any funding at all even for part time unless it is an exemption subject as I have used 3 years of funding already and also that I can get fully funded regardless of the subject if I do it part time as you have up to 16 years worth of part time funding available.

Also I know Psychology is an exemption subject if studied part time, but one of the courses I am considering is Psychology with Psychotherapy and Counselling so would this also come under that exemption as it involves Psychology?

Kind regards,

Clare
Hi there, if the qualification is higher then you will be able to study any course as long as it's part time. You can get up to 16 years of part time funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Clare127
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi there, if the qualification is higher then you will be able to study any course as long as it's part time. You can get up to 16 years of part time funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac, thank you for your reply. Could you confirm whether I would be fully funded from year 1 onwards if I'm enrolled on a part time degree or would I need to self fund the first year equivalent as I already have a qualification at that level (CertHE)? Or does it no matter as long as I'm enrolled to get a higher qualification in the end?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi Isaac, thank you for your reply. Could you confirm whether I would be fully funded from year 1 onwards if I'm enrolled on a part time degree or would I need to self fund the first year equivalent as I already have a qualification at that level (CertHE)? Or does it no matter as long as I'm enrolled to get a higher qualification in the end?
You will be ineligible for funding if the qualification is the same as what you already have, although if you study Psychology then this rule doesn't apply as this is an exceptions course so previous study is disregarded.
Thanks, Isaac
Clare127
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
You will be ineligible for funding if the qualification is the same as what you already have, although if you study Psychology then this rule doesn't apply as this is an exceptions course so previous study is disregarded.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

Even if the qualification I'm enrolled on is for the full degree? So I'd be ineligible for the first year if it wasn't an exception course?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi Isaac,

Even if the qualification I'm enrolled on is for the full degree? So I'd be ineligible for the first year if it wasn't an exception course?
You can't receive funding for an Equivalent or Lower Qualification (ELQ) unless the course is an exceptions course.

If you study Psychology part time then you will be funded for the duration of the course. If you study 1 year course course for a degree you already hold and it isn't an exceptions course then you won't be funded for the 1 year course but you will be funded for the Psychology part time course.
Thanks, Isaac
Clare127
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
You can't receive funding for an Equivalent or Lower Qualification (ELQ) unless the course is an exceptions course.

If you study Psychology part time then you will be funded for the duration of the course. If you study 1 year course course for a degree you already hold and it isn't an exceptions course then you won't be funded for the 1 year course but you will be funded for the Psychology part time course.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac, Sorry if I'm not being clear in my responses, to clarify I'm not asking about a 1 year course. I'm asking if I enrol on a full part time degree (so equivalent of what would be a 3 year degree but part time - Levels 4,5 and 6) would I get funded for the level 4 part of it if it is not an exception course?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi Isaac, Sorry if I'm not being clear in my responses, to clarify I'm not asking about a 1 year course. I'm asking if I enrol on a full part time degree (so equivalent of what would be a 3 year degree but part time - Levels 4,5 and 6) would I get funded for the level 4 part of it if it is not an exception course?
You can get funding for a part time course that is not an exceptions course as long as it's not an ELQ.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.27%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.41%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (61)
18.65%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (69)
21.1%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.79%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.79%

Watched Threads