zoe82003
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What strengths and limitations can you think of for the evaluation part of Milgram's study in 1963?
Last edited by zoe82003; 1 year ago
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Strength:
- A strength is that bc it was a lab experiment it had high controls
- The experiment was replicated with different variations to see the effect of authority so it's seen to be highly reliable

Limitations:
- As it's a lab experiment the setting is artificial so it doesn't reflect real life and lacks validity
- unethical as it put people under stress, no consent etc
zoe82003
Rep:
?
T

(Original post by Dechante)
Strength:
- A strength is that bc it was a lab experiment it had high controls
- The experiment was replicated with different variations to see the effect of authority so it's seen to be highly reliable

Limitations:
- As it's a lab experiment the setting is artificial so it doesn't reflect real life and lacks validity
- unethical as it put people under stress, no consent etc
thanks
Amy3212
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A limitation is that the participants were volunteers. Volunteers may be influenced more easily. etc.
In addition, as previously stated the ethics... deception, consent and right to withdraw...then you can go on to say, however, Milgram ended up debriefing the participants.
You could also say that Milgram's study is androcentric ( only male participants) (why this may pose a problem... also = population validity) but then continue and develop and say however, *researcher* repeated the original study and females were used.

Although there are implications of Milgrams study, for example for human behaviour and the attribution of responsibility.
zoe82003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amy3212)
A limitation is that the participants were volunteers. Volunteers may be influenced more easily. etc.
In addition, as previously stated the ethics... deception, consent and right to withdraw...then you can go on to say, however, Milgram ended up debriefing the participants.
You could also say that Milgram's study is androcentric ( only male participants) (why this may pose a problem... also = population validity) but then continue and develop and say however, *researcher* repeated the original study and females were used.

Although there are implications of Milgrams study, for example for human behaviour and the attribution of responsibility.
Thank you!!
lozzyhickers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Amy3212)
It's also often argued that recruiting volunteers attracts a certain 'type' of person. Where more generalisable findings might be found in wider sampling methods, for example sampling randomly from certain populations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (9)
15.25%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (14)
23.73%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (4)
6.78%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (8)
13.56%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (4)
6.78%
I think it's an unfair expectation (18)
30.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
3.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed