Extra curriculars section advice for personal statement

Watch
Kogomogo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 hours ago
Hi. I'm a mature student hoping to apply for uni and drafting up a personal statement. I've read that a chunk of it needs to be dedicated to hobbies and extra curriculars but i've no idea what to put. I don't really have any hobbies or much i actually do, mostly just games and tv /movies. i also haven't done any extra curriculars in years (we didn't get many options back then like DofE or anything, it's basic stuff like a bit of mentoring and a radio show).

Any advice on how to tackle this section? Can i put extra curriculars from nearly a decade ago?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 23 minutes ago
You don’t need to include hobbies.
Your PS should focus on your course and your interests and activities related to your chosen course
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 20 minutes ago
Gosh, no. Definitely do not put things from 10 years ago! They're no longer relevant.

I, controversially, think that if you can fill your PS by talking about your subject, you probably should. If you can talk about the reading you've done relevant to your course, and any other activities you've done that is relevant, you can probably skip out extra-curriculars altogether.

However, if you wish to go with prevailing wisdom, you can pull something out about video games or films I'm sure, as long as you elevate it slightly beyond "I like to watch films." I'm not saying it can be a lie when you say "I enjoy examining filmmaking techniques and looking at how directors translate meaning onto the screen" but they're not very likely to look awfully far into it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (21)
19.63%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (29)
27.1%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (15)
14.02%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (27)
25.23%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (9)
8.41%
I haven't started researching yet (6)
5.61%

Watched Threads