The Student Room Group

Retook my english language exam three times now and still am please help

I've retook the gcse english language exam three times now, and still I'm struggling to do this one question. The language analysis questions. The part where it asks you about “how does the writer...”, I can simply
identify and quote but when I’m commenting/explaining “why the writer did this” my head goes blank, like I can’t make meaning out of the quotation or connote it, the assessment object for this is AO2 - explain why the writer chose this word/device
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Kei.anedixoxo_
I've retook the gcse english language exam three times now, and still I'm struggling to do this one question. The language analysis questions. The part where it asks you about “how does the writer...”, I can simply
identify and quote but when I’m commenting/explaining “why the writer did this” my head goes blank, like I can’t make meaning out of the quotation or connote it, the assessment object for this is AO2 - explain why the writer chose this word/device

I can really help with this one, as I love (and still do love) English! I also did GCSE lang last year so hopefully it's still in my head...
You're right, to hit those marks you do need to say why the writer did it, and that is tricky under pressure. Truthfully, a way to start is to consider not why, but what is the writer trying to get across- what are they making you feel (maybe not you but 'someone')? When you know what they're making you feel, you can consider why they want to do that.

More generally though, the key to getting 8/8 or 12/12 on this question (depending on the paper) is to find a pattern, semantic field, or extended metaphor that covers the whole extract. Picking out words can then come under this but ultimately the examiners love patterns. Once you've done that, analyse the pattern as a whole- what does it portray to the reader, and then think about why. Then break the pattern down into a few words, or a sentence type, analysing them seperately. Finally, put it all back together again. Going for an overarching theme, then breaking it down is what will get you those top marks. Oh and also, when you go to say 'dynamic verb' or 'adjective'- shove either a postively/negatively- shaded, or another adjective in front of it and it'll boost up how the answer sounds. See below!

I will copy below an 8/8 practice I did last year. I have no idea what the question or paper was, but figured it might help as a structure!

In the extract, the writer employs a patterning of mysterious dynamic verbs to present what it was like in New York that summer as unbearably hot. This can clearly be noted through the negatively-shaded dynamic verbs ‘wavered’ ‘sizzled’ and ‘glittered’ which together create a pattern of excruciating heat, which seems to be unbearable for the narrator. ‘Wavered’ has implications hallucinations, implying that perhaps the heat is so unbearable that the narrator has lost full consciousness. Moreover, ‘sizzled’ has connations to burning, perhaps implying that the narrator is physically burnt by the heat- showing the extent of the heat in New York that summer. ‘Glittered’ however, is interesting as it almost has a magical appeal which could suggest that this weather is almost supernatural- showing that in New York that summer, the heat was inhumane. Together, these dynamic verbs create a semantic field of burning heat, implying that in New York that summer it was unbearable, to the extent that the narrator was in great pain. This is further seen through the simile ‘country-wet freshness…evaporated like the tail end of a sweet dream’ which demonstrates a longing for some relief from the heat of New York that summer. The dynamic verb ‘evaporated’ again adds to the pattern of unbearable heat, as it literally shows how hot it was that it evaporates all ‘freshness’. However, metaphorically, it could also imply that times without the heat of New York that summer were almost dreams of the past, thus implying that the heat that summer was so intense there was no relief. Finally, the use of the varying sentence lengths from the shorth declarative ‘New York was bad enough’ to the complex sentence ‘By nine in the morning… tail end of a sweet dream’ shows an almost inability to cope with the heat, the narrator cannot fully describe it as it is so unbearable they are losing bodily function. Alternatively, however, this could also show how almost supernatural this heat was that the narrator cannot express the pain of the heat in New York that summer.

Hope this helps- feel free to PM about any of the other questions, or if this doesn't make sense- sorry it's so hard to explain in writing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending