Nursss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have a few questions that im a bit confused on?
1. Can PA go into surgery (obviously assisted with a doctor but can they do the sewing bit lets say)
2. After becoming a PA can we chose the field we want to focus on or are we forced to be in every field (e.g can one chose to be in the emergency section A&E and stay there forever as Im not interested in the other departments for now)
3. Can PA’s work in the gp instead of in a hospital?
Advertisement
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nursss)
1. Can PA go into surgery (obviously assisted with a doctor but can they do the sewing bit lets say)
2. After becoming a PA can we chose the field we want to focus on or are we forced to be in every field (e.g can one chose to be in the emergency section A&E and stay there forever as Im not interested in the other departments for now)
1. No. It's called physician (i.e. Internal medicine) associates for a reason. There may be one or two PAs out there who are allowed to close the wound etc but that's not part of their role.

Read https://www.postgraduatesearch.com/a...ment/ap-69869/ and https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/careers-in-...an-associates/

Note: PAs can and do work in surgery (as a specialty) but they do the non-practical stuff (i.e. Clerk in patients, examine them, formulate a management plan etc.)

2. Yes, but junior, hospital-based PAs tend to work in a rotational job and have jobs in several departments for the first couple of years

3. Yes.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nursss)
If you are interested in the surgical side of medicine but want to pursue a career as an allied health profession you may want to look into operating department practitioner training. Some ODPs may be able to become surgical care practitioners later in their careers, who are able to perform minor surgical procedures under supervision (e.g. carpal tunnel release).
Advertisement
No_fixed_abode
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Bit of a tangent here, but has anyone heard any rumblings that PAs might be able to do some sort of conversion to medicine course? Like a turbo charged Grad entry course. I don't know if any kind of thing like that has happened in the states.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by No_fixed_abode)
Bit of a tangent here, but has anyone heard any rumblings that PAs might be able to do some sort of conversion to medicine course? Like a turbo charged Grad entry course. I don't know if any kind of thing like that has happened in the states.
There were mumblings for this, but they were a few years ago and as far as I know there are no current plans for it.

If anything, the recent increase in undergrad medicine places and opening of several new med schools have all but negated this need.

From 2017: http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/gp-...034834.article
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (33)
8.09%
Confident (54)
13.24%
Indifferent (58)
14.22%
Unsure (104)
25.49%
Worried (159)
38.97%

Watched Threads