Employer using apprenticeship levy (illegally?)

Watch
flamingo22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi there,
So I'm currently employed on a permanent contract. I've been at my company a year and I'm considering undertaking the CIPD Level 5 (HR). Now, I discussed this with my line manager (Director of HR) and said I'd be potentially interested in self-study (ie - they fund the qualification and I sign terms to remain there for 2 years and each 6 months it decreases by 25% if I leave). Her reaction was 'oh we'd use the apprenticeship levy to fund it but it would be self study - I don't want you working 4 days a week like your colleague does, and I doubt you want your pay cut either'.
I think there's many things wrong here.. a) I shouldn't have my pay cut as an apprentice - I know of two other employees in HR (both happen to be men) doing apprneticeships, and they have the time to do this in the week and they do not have their pay cut. b) I thought apprenticeship levy could only be used for an apprenticeship qualification - ie you get 20% off the job learning (lessons or study time).
Am I missing something or is my manager seriously misinformed?!
Toastedshoes12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I am confused as to why your pay would be cut? Have you read over your contract terms to see if they address this issue?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Toastedshoes12)
I am confused as to why your pay would be cut? Have you read over your contract terms to see ifalent they address this issue?
You have to be given the equivalent of one day a week for formal courses on an apprenticeship - so someone who was working a 5 day week would drop down to 4.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by flamingo22)
Hi there,
So I'm currently employed on a permanent contract. I've been at my company a year and I'm considering undertaking the CIPD Level 5 (HR). Now, I discussed this with my line manager (Director of HR) and said I'd be potentially interested in self-study (ie - they fund the qualification and I sign terms to remain there for 2 years and each 6 months it decreases by 25% if I leave). Her reaction was 'oh we'd use the apprenticeship levy to fund it but it would be self study - I don't want you working 4 days a week like your colleague does, and I doubt you want your pay cut either'.
I think there's many things wrong here.. a) I shouldn't have my pay cut as an apprentice - I know of two other employees in HR (both happen to be men) doing apprneticeships, and they have the time to do this in the week and they do not have their pay cut. b) I thought apprenticeship levy could only be used for an apprenticeship qualification - ie you get 20% off the job learning (lessons or study time).
Am I missing something or is my manager seriously misinformed?!
I don't believe that they can withold the costs of training if you leave a training programme funding by apprenticeship levy funds - this would be worth checking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.27%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.41%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (61)
18.65%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (69)
21.1%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.79%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.79%

Watched Threads