The Student Room Group

c in a level chem but studying pharmacy in uni

I did my A-Levels in 2019 and took a gap year. I now have a place at the University of Reading for Pharmacy, which I'm very excited to start.

The problem is that although I managed to achieve a C in A-Level chemistry my chemistry is quite weak and I am very worried that I will struggle a lot with first year, esp because I haven't studied in a whole year and I've forgotten a lot.

Does anyone have recommendations on how I can prepare for my Pharmacy course? I would really appreciate any advice. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by prosppharmstu
I did my A-Levels in 2019 and took a gap year. I now have a place at the University of Reading for Pharmacy, which I'm very excited to start.

The problem is that although I managed to achieve a C in A-Level chemistry my chemistry is quite weak and I am very worried that I will struggle a lot with first year, esp because I haven't studied in a whole year and I've forgotten a lot.

Does anyone have recommendations on how I can prepare for my Pharmacy course? I would really appreciate any advice. :smile:

hey erm what a levels did you take for pharm because i want to do it but i am not biologist whatsoever i was thinking of taking maths physics and chemistry, will that get me in ?

Hey @prosppharmstu!

I wouldn't worry too much, I also got a C at A-level in chemistry and I now study pharmacy.

Firstly go over any A-level content you may have, and just try to learn the different types of molecules - alcohols, carboxylic acids etc
Also familiarise yourself with the reactions and such

First year chemistry will mostly cover what you learned at A-level, so I wouldn't stress about it too much
Just make sure you concentrate in your lectures and do all the work required and you'll be fine

Good luck!
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by Yas031119
hey erm what a levels did you take for pharm because i want to do it but i am not biologist whatsoever i was thinking of taking maths physics and chemistry, will that get me in ?

Hi! I did Biology and English Literature alongside Chemistry. You could do Maths instead of Biology, and then whatever subject you want except General Studies/ Critical Thinking. I'd recommend picking the third subject according to what you like because as long as you have Chemistry and Maths and get B/ C you'll get in. I applied to Aston, Portsmouth, Brighton and Reading and got accepted with a C in Chemistry (and a B in Bio and Eng Lit). I got rejected from Manchester though because they require above a C in Chemistry.

Maths, Physics and Chemistry would get you in, just warning you those are pretty hard especially that combination, but as long as you enjoy them and you're ready to work hard you should be okay. Good luck!
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey @prosppharmstu!

I wouldn't worry too much, I also got a C at A-level in chemistry and I now study pharmacy.

Firstly go over any A-level content you may have, and just try to learn the different types of molecules - alcohols, carboxylic acids etc
Also familiarise yourself with the reactions and such

First year chemistry will mostly cover what you learned at A-level, so I wouldn't stress about it too much
Just make sure you concentrate in your lectures and do all the work required and you'll be fine

Good luck!
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:

Hi Eloise!

Thanks for your reply, I feel a lot more reassured now.

Do you have any other tips for first year? Or anything you would've wanted to know before doing it?
Hi my GCSEs were 1 A*, 2 A's, 3 B's and 5 C's. But i'm predicted ABB for A levels. Are my GCSE grades going to let me down (to study pharmacy at Aston uni or others)?
Reply 6
Astons grade requirements are quite low for pharm so i don't doubt they wouldn't accept you with those predicted grades
Hi Eloise!

Thanks for your reply, I feel a lot more reassured now.

Do you have any other tips for first year? Or anything you would've wanted to know before doing it?

Hi @prosppharmstu!

I would say to make sure you do go over the things you don't understand at the time as it will make it so much easier in the long run!
I'd also say to keep on top of your personal formulary (drugs that you have to research yourself)

Also make sure you keep all your notes from throughout your time at uni as this will be needed for the pre reg exam!

But also enjoy your time at uni, especially in first year as it doesn't count, so try not to take it too seriously :smile:

I hope this helps!
Feel free to ask anything else
Eloise - Official Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending