froginalabsuit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
#1
Hello,

So before covid-19, I was going to apply to medicine after I do my A-levels and take a gap year after declining my Biological sciences offer on results day, but because A-levels have been cancelled and now the emergency exams in autumn have been confirmed, I was confused to what I should do.
During quarantine I made a plan that I will hopefully get into Biological sciences at Leicester since I got the offer and unis are saying they will be flexible since they probably know that a lot of people might get lower calculated grades than they want, but that was on the assumption that emergency exams wouldn't go on, and then go to medicine through their transfer scheme. However, I realised that with the transfer scheme, I still need good a-levels (as well as high scores in the assessments they do in biosiences in year 1), and I knew that I would have to take the exams anyway.
Now with the confirmation that autumn exams will go on I was confused to whether I should accept my biosciences offer and try the transfer scheme or hope that I can still apply for medicine after the emergency exams but that would only be possible if they delayed the Oct 15 deadline they usually have.
Do you think they will delay the application deadline?
Also, when should I take my UCAT this summer, will it be better if I do it before results day or after, if I'm maybe thinking of clearing.

Thanks
0
reply
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#2
Report 4 months ago
#2
(Original post by froginalabsuit)
Hello,

So before covid-19, I was going to apply to medicine after I do my A-levels and take a gap year after declining my Biological sciences offer on results day, but because A-levels have been cancelled and now the emergency exams in autumn have been confirmed, I was confused to what I should do.
During quarantine I made a plan that I will hopefully get into Biological sciences at Leicester since I got the offer and unis are saying they will be flexible since they probably know that a lot of people might get lower calculated grades than they want, but that was on the assumption that emergency exams wouldn't go on, and then go to medicine through their transfer scheme. However, I realised that with the transfer scheme, I still need good a-levels (as well as high scores in the assessments they do in biosiences in year 1), and I knew that I would have to take the exams anyway.
Now with the confirmation that autumn exams will go on I was confused to whether I should accept my biosciences offer and try the transfer scheme or hope that I can still apply for medicine after the emergency exams but that would only be possible if they delayed the Oct 15 deadline they usually have.
Do you think they will delay the application deadline?
Also, when should I take my UCAT this summer, will it be better if I do it before results day or after, if I'm maybe thinking of clearing.

Thanks
Autumn exam results won't come out until around December, and it is very unlikely the October 15th deadline would be pushed back that far (UCAS have said it is very likely to stay where it is). You could still take the autumn exams and apply on this basis- but obviously you'd be taking a risk that you'd get good grades in your autumn exams as you'd have to give up your bioscience offer.

I think it's impossible to make a firm decision until you know your results, but you could make a plan based on various scenarios e.g If I get AAA I will do this, If I get AAB I will do this, If I don't get into Leicester I will do this and so on. I would assume the October 15th deadline won't change though when making these plans.
0
reply
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#3
Report 4 months ago
#3
(Original post by froginalabsuit)
Hello,

So before covid-19, I was going to apply to medicine after I do my A-levels and take a gap year after declining my Biological sciences offer on results day, but because A-levels have been cancelled and now the emergency exams in autumn have been confirmed, I was confused to what I should do.
During quarantine I made a plan that I will hopefully get into Biological sciences at Leicester since I got the offer and unis are saying they will be flexible since they probably know that a lot of people might get lower calculated grades than they want, but that was on the assumption that emergency exams wouldn't go on, and then go to medicine through their transfer scheme. However, I realised that with the transfer scheme, I still need good a-levels (as well as high scores in the assessments they do in biosiences in year 1), and I knew that I would have to take the exams anyway.
Now with the confirmation that autumn exams will go on I was confused to whether I should accept my biosciences offer and try the transfer scheme or hope that I can still apply for medicine after the emergency exams but that would only be possible if they delayed the Oct 15 deadline they usually have.
Do you think they will delay the application deadline?
Also, when should I take my UCAT this summer, will it be better if I do it before results day or after, if I'm maybe thinking of clearing.

Thanks
One thing that the TSR medicine community will virtually never recommend is relying on transfers to Medicine from Biomedicine courses.

Virtually every single person enrolling in these courses are interested in the transfer, and only a handful make it. You are also seriously limiting yourself to only one medical school, and at a very high competition ratio at that.

It is much better to take another gap year if needed, and reapply for 2021 entry. Based on this I would recommend that you prepare for UCAT for this year. As @SarcAndSpark said it is very unlikely based on current circumstances that the UCAS early application deadline will be pushed beyond 15th October.


You can of course try Clearing for Medicine (thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6282046) but as I have said on that thread many times - these are very rare and everyone going through that way should be prepared for next year's entry.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
34.11%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (712)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (345)
20.01%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.58%

Watched Threads

View All