How do you decide what to do with your life? Feel lost.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
So my plan had been to be a doctor, but I just don't feel good enough and don't think I can put myself through this anymore. I really don't think I was doing it for the right reasons. I wanted to prove to people I could be good at something challenging and that I was more clever than they gave me credit for. But I just need to be true to me now.

I do love science and healthcare, but I also love acting and the theatre. I love writing and looking after people. I'd really appreciate some help. I'm someone who needs to plan ahead and all this uncertainty is getting me down.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So my plan had been to be a doctor, but I just don't feel good enough and don't think I can put myself through this anymore. I really don't think I was doing it for the right reasons. I wanted to prove to people I could be good at something challenging and that I was more clever than they gave me credit for. But I just need to be true to me now.

I do love science and healthcare, but I also love acting and the theatre. I love writing and looking after people. I'd really appreciate some help. I'm someone who needs to plan ahead and all this uncertainty is getting me down.
Have you considered Physician Associate? Very similar to being a junior doctor.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...cian-associate

UCLan offers this as an undergraduate Masters course.
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Sorry I don't have much to add, but mood. I'm studying Maths but I've no interest of going into finance, so I don't know what I want to do.
Moonbow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Go into wildlife 🥳
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Moonbow)
Go into wildlife 🥳
Did that today when I walked through my unkempt lawn
TheStarboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Biomedical science offers a wide range of careers in the healthcare and science industry.
Moonbow
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Did that today when I walked through my unkempt lawn
Oh gosh hahaha!!
I saw a fly yesterday and took a photo and put it on a wildlife site.
It came back as flesh flies.
I have been hiding under my blanket for the past 12 hours 👀🥶
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Moonbow)
Oh gosh hahaha!!
I saw a fly yesterday and took a photo and put it on a wildlife site.
It came back as flesh flies.
I have been hiding under my blanket for the past 12 hours 👀🥶
Awww :console:
Moonbow
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Awww :console:
Hopefully I win this battle :dumbells:
JokesOnYoo
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

Are you kidding me? Carry on and become a doctor, you dont think youre good enough for what lol? Doctors are not geniuses, they have average to slightly average intelligence you can make it. Keep going believe me, dont listen to anyone here with their suggestions like take another path.

My suggestion to you is to focus on more abstract goals than concrete goals, do not attach emotional motivation from material possessions or people, else you will find yourself miserable when you cannot see those objects.
Attach emotional motivation to abstract thought, to the thought of events, such as helping others, improving society
Last edited by JokesOnYoo; 4 days ago
Lewis T K
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago

I understand your trepidation with changing career focus. If you are a fan of science, would you consider a scientific career allied to medicine such as pharmacy, pharmacology, biomedical engineering or virology. As ecolier stated as well, becoming a physician associate could be a good career choice. You would work to the medical model and also get the interpersonal stimulation you would get as a doctor.
Exploring your options is a good thing to do, perhaps speaking with a careers advisor or people within there sectors will help you gain a better understanding of what you may want to pursue.

Very best of luck
Anonymous #2
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by vicvic38)
Sorry I don't have much to add, but mood. I'm studying Maths but I've no interest of going into finance, so I don't know what I want to do.
There are actually a lot of jobs you can get with a maths degree, including many not even directly related to maths. If you have any interest in tech/programming you could consider jobs such as software engineer. If you like stats you could consider data scientist, statistician etc. These are just a couple examples. Of course in each case you do need some sort of interest outside of pure maths (or at least the willingness to learn something new), otherwise the only options really are teaching/further study.
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
There are actually a lot of jobs you can get with a maths degree, including many not even directly related to maths. If you have any interest in tech/programming you could consider jobs such as software engineer. If you like stats you could consider data scientist, statistician etc. These are just a couple examples. Of course in each case you do need some sort of interest outside of pure maths (or at least the willingness to learn something new), otherwise the only options really are teaching/further study.
Believe me, I've thought about programming and stats, and I have little to no interest there. My track has been basically pure, but I'm aware that it just means I'll have to look further afield when I graduate. I would love to teach, I think but I don't think I could stand the classroom environment.

It's the fact there's no defined path waiting for me? I know that most graduates don't end up in fields related to their degree, but I've no idea what direction I want to pursue. Maybe I could try the civil service. That was something I was considering.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by vicvic38)
Believe me, I've thought about programming and stats, and I have little to no interest there. My track has been basically pure, but I'm aware that it just means I'll have to look further afield when I graduate. I would love to teach, I think but I don't think I could stand the classroom environment.

It's the fact there's no defined path waiting for me? I know that most graduates don't end up in fields related to their degree, but I've no idea what direction I want to pursue. Maybe I could try the civil service. That was something I was considering.
I also did almost exclusively pure at university because that was the only thing that really interested me. Definitely understand where you're coming from. I'm guessing you've already considered a PhD (you get to teach undergraduates during this and it wouldn't be as hard teaching in a school)? I had no idea what I wanted to do until my final year but then I decided to become an actuary as it seemed interesting to me and provided good pay, job security, and I didn't really need much more than my degree to get in. Might not be such an enticing option for someone who wouldn't like using prob&stats though.

A lot of maths undergrads (and grads!) find themselves in the same position so dw. Most of us only plan as far as a degree lol. Yeah civil service might be a good idea. Remember very few jobs use any advanced maths (if any, and certainly not pure), so it's really about which ones you think you have the skills for than the mathematical knowledge.
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I also did almost exclusively pure at university because that was the only thing that really interested me. Definitely understand where you're coming from. I'm guessing you've already considered a PhD (you get to teach undergraduates during this and it wouldn't be as hard teaching in a school)? I had no idea what I wanted to do until my final year but then I decided to become an actuary as it seemed interesting to me and provided good pay, job security, and I didn't really need much more than my degree to get in. Might not be such an enticing option for someone who wouldn't like using prob&stats though.

A lot of maths undergrads (and grads!) find themselves in the same position so dw. Most of us only plan as far as a degree lol. Yeah civil service might be a good idea. Remember very few jobs use any advanced maths (if any, and certainly not pure), so it's really about which ones you think you have the skills for than the mathematical knowledge.
It's good to hear that being an actuary isn't closed to me because I didn't do any stats beyond first year. I'm not really cut out for a DPhil. I'd probably only want to teach Sixth form, or maybe GCSE, but I've never really been good at classroom control (having done some teaching through the cadets.) I could go into teaching later.

I'm quite aware advanced pure maths isn't useful anywhere else haha, and that's not the worst thing anyone's said to me. I'll have to research ways to get into the civil service. I know Fast-Track is a way, but I should look more.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Have you considered Physician Associate? Very similar to being a junior doctor.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...cian-associate

UCLan offers this as an undergraduate Masters course.
Thanks for the reply.

I had looked into the PA role and especially liked the look of the Manchester and QMUL courses. What sort of progression is there? I've been working as a bank in hospitals and I've never really noticed a Physician Associate before :/

I'm going into my last year at uni, so I think (if I went down this route) a PG course might be more appropriate.

Thank you
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TheStarboy)
Biomedical science offers a wide range of careers in the healthcare and science industry.
Totally! But if my UG has taught me anything - lab work is not for me! Thank you anyway
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JokesOnYoo)
Are you kidding me? Carry on and become a doctor, you dont think youre good enough for what lol? Doctors are not geniuses, they have average to slightly average intelligence you can make it. Keep going believe me, dont listen to anyone here with their suggestions like take another path.

My suggestion to you is to focus on more abstract goals than concrete goals, do not attach emotional motivation from material possessions or people, else you will find yourself miserable when you cannot see those objects.
Attach emotional motivation to abstract thought, to the thought of events, such as helping others, improving society
I think when you have doubt you need to listen to it. Whether or not I decide to take a different path needs to be my own decision - but I am more than happy to listen to suggestions.

Medicine was always an option to me because I like having to think about the job I'm doing, about putting the pieces together and I love working with people. I catch onto things quickly and I can form good relationships with people quickly. I think if I got over a crippling fear of failure, I could probably be a very good doctor. But maybe it's not the only thing I'd be good at?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Lewis T K)
I understand your trepidation with changing career focus. If you are a fan of science, would you consider a scientific career allied to medicine such as pharmacy, pharmacology, biomedical engineering or virology. As ecolier stated as well, becoming a physician associate could be a good career choice. You would work to the medical model and also get the interpersonal stimulation you would get as a doctor.
Exploring your options is a good thing to do, perhaps speaking with a careers advisor or people within there sectors will help you gain a better understanding of what you may want to pursue.

Very best of luck
I'd actually looked into AHP roles such as Physiotherapy, but right now I guess is a process of elimination and it just didn't sit with me. Really appreciate the suggestions, and I'm glad my uncertainty about it all has been acknowledged rather than shot down haha! So thank you!!!

Maybe I'll just need to speak with the careers service when university resumes as any UCAS applications will need to be done by January (October if I decide to go through with medicine! :O )

Thanks again and good luck to you too!
Lewis T K
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I'd actually looked into AHP roles such as Physiotherapy, but right now I guess is a process of elimination and it just didn't sit with me. Really appreciate the suggestions, and I'm glad my uncertainty about it all has been acknowledged rather than shot down haha! So thank you!!!

Maybe I'll just need to speak with the careers service when university resumes as any UCAS applications will need to be done by January (October if I decide to go through with medicine! :O )

Thanks again and good luck to you too!
I’ve recently heard of a thing called the Stanford odyssey plan, it’s something I’m going to try myself. It’s a process of writing down in quite significant detail a range of different paths you could follow and where they would likely lead you in 5 years. From this you can asses and analyse if you would be content with this. Obviously, life can not be planned to the exact detail, but it may help you gain a little perspective to what you think want. It would be good to do this along side a careers advisor who could guid you through more and more prospective career paths.

Hope this helps you a bit
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.27%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.41%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (61)
18.65%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (69)
21.1%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.79%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.79%

Watched Threads