need advice- being open in therapy

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hi, basically I needed some help, I've been to therapy before about a yr ago but that wasn't helping me, I'm now trying it with a different company and i started about the start of April and then got discharged because the main issue was social anxiety and this is lockdown time so didn't need it, but i wasn't being honest with other issues, and I'm starting therapy again over the phone but need advice on being open about alot of different things that aren't easy to speak about

and I speak over the phone in my room and I'm paranoid someones going to hear my conversation (siblings or parents) and this put me off starting therapy again

how do I be open and not be so paranoid when I'm talking to a therapist on the phone (btw don't really talk to my family about my mental health, find it really difficult to even speak to my mum because there's always a lot on my mind )

sorry if it's jumbled up, any advice is much appreciated x
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Probably start with the fact you're struggling being open with them. That's what I did. They will work with you to make you feel safe enough to be open. You don't have to spill your guts all in the first session anyway. Just be open with them insofar as you can and they will work with you.
ejohnson957
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Probably start with the fact you're struggling being open with them. That's what I did. They will work with you to make you feel safe enough to be open. You don't have to spill your guts all in the first session anyway. Just be open with them insofar as you can and they will work with you.
I'd totally second this. As someone that works in Mental Health (not providing 'therapy' like you have described, but have spoken and provided CBT sessions to clients over the phone), I think just expressing how difficult you are finding talking about what's going on for you, is a good place to start. Just like when you are getting to know a friend, it takes time to build your confidence in the other person until you feel ready to open up to them about the deeper things you've got going on.

You won't be expected to suddenly come out with everything you've got going on in your life, and things about the past, straight away. But acknowledging you are feeling on edge and are struggling with it is a great way to discuss both your expectations of the sessions, as well as the therapist's.

Best of luck with your therapy.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ejohnson957)
I'd totally second this. As someone that works in Mental Health (not providing 'therapy' like you have described, but have spoken and provided CBT sessions to clients over the phone), I think just expressing how difficult you are finding talking about what's going on for you, is a good place to start. Just like when you are getting to know a friend, it takes time to build your confidence in the other person until you feel ready to open up to them about the deeper things you've got going on.

You won't be expected to suddenly come out with everything you've got going on in your life, and things about the past, straight away. But acknowledging you are feeling on edge and are struggling with it is a great way to discuss both your expectations of the sessions, as well as the therapist's.

Yeah, I think it really helped my psychologist who was working with me when I was honest with her about this sort of thing. It's not that she didn't know but it helped to be told because then she could help me work on it with her assistance, if that makes sense?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ejohnson957)

thanks x
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
yeah thats true

thanks x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (76)
18.63%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (82)
20.1%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (78)
19.12%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (89)
21.81%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.05%
I haven't started researching yet (42)
10.29%

Watched Threads