The Student Room Group

Going from a low ranked uni to a high rank

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by chaotic1328
This is debatable to say the very least. Have you any evidence to back up this assertion?

If anything, anecdotal evidence would suggest that the the teaching quality at the 'better' universities are not as good as the 'lesser' Universities. The LSE, for example, have been criticised for using a disproportionate amount of cheap research students to teach. I know from personal experience that the same applies in the humanities at Leeds and Newcastle.

That said, I would agree that everything else being equal, it's probably a good idea to choose more established universities over the younger institutions. Lumping Oxbridge together with the other 'Ancients' is a bit surprising though. Not sure whether Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dublin are really on the same level as Oxbridge.

Edinburgh, Glasgow, Trinity College Dublin are as good as Oxbridge. They are the best unis in their jurisdictions and attract the top students. The levels of intellectual debate are high and the facilities are good.
Reply 41
I have just finished the undergrad in computer visualization and animation at Bournemouth University. I've been working extremely hard these years with an outstanding placement expericence. Therefore I've got first in previous two years and it looks like I'm gonna continue that in final year.
By now I've got an offer from UCL and still waiting for IC's decision, pretty stressful haha (Best luck to me!!). From my personal experience, I assume that your effort will lead you to a further step, also, try your best to develop the quick learning skills, as this is a strong evidence to put in a PS that you can cope with any learning tasks you will be facing in a "better" or "more challenging" university. I think it doesn't matter where you've gained the learning skills from as long as you have it already. For me it really depends on myself rather than the environment in your university.
Reply 42
Rather than worrying about the level of prestige of the university, it's important to consider the course itself. Biomedical Sci at Westminster is accredited with the Institute of Biomedical Science allowing the degree holder to register and work as a Biomedical Scientist within the NHS, as do Biomed Sci degrees from many other new ("lower quality") universities. The Biomed Sci degrees from most ancient/red brick/"better quality" universities are not accredited. If considering a career or post-grad course in a clinical subject is the aim then the accredited degree may be the better route to take.
Original post by EdserB
Edinburgh, Glasgow, Trinity College Dublin are as good as Oxbridge. They are the best unis in their jurisdictions and attract the top students. The levels of intellectual debate are high and the facilities are good.

That is just utter nonsense. How are any of them equivalent to Oxbridge, especially TCD?
I went to a Post 92 uni for my undergraduate (gained a first) and PGCE but I am starting at a Russell group for my MA. It's definitely possible. I'd say do the best that you can in your undergraduate but don't put any pressure on yourself (your mental health is more important).

My advice would be:
1. Ask if you don't understand something during your studies.
2. Use any support your university offers (academic writing service etc.)
3. Don't leave assignments until the last minute. I personally find little and often works well for me but I appreciate that everyone works differently.
4. Use the feedback to see what you need to do next time.
5. Check entry requirements at the uni's that you want to apply for.
6. Use the uni careers service to check personal statement for Master's application.
7. Apply early (if it says that they accept applications up to the September that you are due to start), apply earlier but make sure you have a good application (don't rush it either).

Finally, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending