Failure In Life
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
i feel like every thing that u value is what society values and people have forgotten that they are just one of 7.5 billion with trillions of other animals on a small rock floating in space with trillions on trillions of other planets.And ... i see people working hard and making millions and others who are trying to get more like on comments on you-tube but at the end all that does not matter people will move on even if u was famous people will forget u at some point , maybe not in 10 years but in hundred-but that does not matter because ur dead.IDK tell me what u think ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Failure In Life)
i feel like every thing that u value is what society values and people have forgotten that they are just one of 7.5 billion with trillions of other animals on a small rock floating in space with trillions on trillions of other planets.And ... i see people working hard and making millions and others who are trying to get more like on comments on you-tube but at the end all that does not matter people will move on even if u was famous people will forget u at some point , maybe not in 10 years but in hundred-but that does not matter because ur dead.IDK tell me what u think ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
:yes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

anon2.718
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Perhaps life and the moments we live have no value... but the experience is far better when we act like it does.
Failure In Life
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

exactly,ur sooooo insignificant that nothing u do matters and every thing u think that matters are thing that u think matter in Ur head and life is point less and filled with suffering and joy and nothing last for ever
Hellohsjakodsmka
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
nothing last for ever
Except for the fact that nothing lasts for ever :yep:
NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
exactly,ur sooooo insignificant that nothing u do matters and every thing u think that matters are thing that u think matter in Ur head and life is point less and filled with suffering and joy and nothing last for ever
It's a depressing way to look at things.

Somethings last longer than others. If you stick to the longer-term rewards which life offers, you generally do better. So, that's a good place to start. Instead of instant gratification.

What those 'longer term rewards' are, is up to individuals to figure out for themselves, though after enough iterations on the subject across generations and cultures... people do tend to arrive at similar conclusions eventually. And they seem to generally work better than not.
Last edited by NonIndigenous; 2 days ago
Failure In Life
Rep:
?
(Original post by NonIndigenous)
It's a depressing way to look at things.

Somethings last longer than others. If you stick to the longer-term rewards which life offers, you generally do better. So, that's a good place to start. Instead of instant gratification.

What those 'longer term rewards' are, is up to individuals to figure out for themselves, though after enough iterations on the subject across generations and cultures... people do tend to arrive at similar conclusions eventually. And they seem to generally work better than not.
longer-term rewards- will u could be working relay hard for a 2:1 or a first or living frugally so u can invest and get more money in the further but then u can just get hit by a random car get cancer and die and will never enjoy the fruits of Ur labour.
NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
longer-term rewards- will u could be working relay hard for a 2:1 or a first or living frugally so u can invest and get more money in the further but then u can just get hit by a random car get cancer and die and will never enjoy the fruits of Ur labour.
1. Look both way when crossing roads
2. Don't smoke or eat rubbish
imaniii
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
If you look at it like that then there’s no point in living. Which is sad and wrong. We’re here for a reason.
wheelbarrow-man
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I think people who think "we are here for a reason" are more at risk than others at becoming disillusioned with life's reality - the decades trundle by as they desperately seek meaning. It's a futile quest bound to end in one of three ways: 1.) The futility is acknowledged 2.) You don't acknowledge the futility, but your life goes by and you die unfulfilled, or 3.) you settle for a self-allocated meaning of life such as "making my family happy" and try to convince yourself that you haven't fudged the issue (when you have),

We could only be "here for a reason" if someone put us here with a purpose - and there is no evidence of that. And even if we were put here by something or somebody for a reason - why would we be obliged to fulfill their plan for us? And what if their plan for us was a total anti-climax?

I think the only way I can accept the possibility of a "meaning" to life is if we actually work out what game we are playing down here, and what the rules are. This would require us to unlock pretty much all the mysteries of the universe. When we know the rule book, then we have the best chance of working out if there is a meaning to life. But this leads me to think we should ruthlessly prioritise scientific advancement and interstellar exploration over society's current goal which appears to be achieving a comfortable yet inevitably unfulfilling middle class life for the entire population Earth. This opens me up to accusations of elitism and makes me unpopular at house parties.

(Original post by imaniii)
If you look at it like that then there’s no point in living. Which is sad and wrong. We’re here for a reason.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Hellohsjakodsmka)
Except for the fact that nothing lasts for ever :yep:
But arent diamonds forever?!
Failure In Life
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by wheelbarrow-man)
I think people who think "we are here for a reason" are more at risk than others at becoming disillusioned with life's reality - the decades trundle by as they desperately seek meaning. It's a futile quest bound to end in one of three ways: 1.) The futility is acknowledged 2.) You don't acknowledge the futility, but your life goes by and you die unfulfilled, or 3.) you settle for a self-allocated meaning of life such as "making my family happy" and try to convince yourself that you haven't fudged the issue (when you have),

We could only be "here for a reason" if someone put us here with a purpose - and there is no evidence of that. And even if we were put here by something or somebody for a reason - why would we be obliged to fulfill their plan for us? And what if their plan for us was a total anti-climax?

I think the only way I can accept the possibility of a "meaning" to life is if we actually work out what game we are playing down here, and what the rules are. This would require us to unlock pretty much all the mysteries of the universe. When we know the rule book, then we have the best chance of working out if there is a meaning to life. But this leads me to think we should ruthlessly prioritise scientific advancement and interstellar exploration over society's current goal which appears to be achieving a comfortable yet inevitably unfulfilling middle class life for the entire population Earth. This opens me up to accusations of elitism and makes me unpopular at house parties.
well said 👏👏👏👏👏
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Napp)
But arent diamonds forever?!
:no: :console:
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
:no: :console:
They are pretty though
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Napp)
They are pretty though
Like Doctor Mike :tong:
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Like Doctor Mike :tong:
I had to google that :lol: I take your Doctor Mike and raise you a Dr Cameron
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Napp)
I had to google that :lol: I take your Doctor Mike and raise you a Dr Cameron
Dr Manning's better :yes:
Mike is a real doctor though :emo:
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Dr Manning's better :yes:
Mike is a real doctor though :emo:
No no no, Dr Cameron is gorgeous.. fake or not
Ahh i don't think i've ever come across many female doctors (bar my GP) but i still have fond memories of the nurses after i had an operation <3 .. somewhat tempered by the knowledge they saw me at err somewhat less than my best
Anonymousamie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by ecolier)

That’s kinda beautiful man.
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Napp)
No no no, Dr Cameron is gorgeous.. fake or not
Ahh i don't think i've ever come across many female doctors (bar my GP) but i still have fond memories of the nurses after i had an operation <3 .. somewhat tempered by the knowledge they saw me at err somewhat less than my best
Operation? Are you better now? :console:
Aww that's so cute :laugh:
That's why I would hate it if mike was my doctor :blushing:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (45)
20.93%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (48)
22.33%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (39)
18.14%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (44)
20.47%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (21)
9.77%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
8.37%

Watched Threads