Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Statement from the Prime Minister – Chinese consulate in Belfast

Statement: Office of the Prime Minister
Secretary of State: The Rt. Hon. El Salvador MP

Chinese Consulate in Belfast

Mr Speaker,

Recently, a legal dispute has occurred between the consulate of the People's Republic of China in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and residents in the surrounding area1.

A legal order has been issued by a Northern Irish court for the Chinese consulate to halt their illegal construction, to which the Chinese Embassy responded saying they would ignore it.

I have summoned the Chinese Ambassador, His Excellency Liu Xiaoming, to 10 Downing Street earlier today to convey to him several points:

1. The sovereignty of the land on which the Consulate is on, remains with the United Kingdom, as is the case with any diplomatic mission anywhere. Diplomats from the Consulate enjoy diplomatic immunity, but their construction on such land may still be illegal, and as such is under the jurisdiction of UK courts.

2. Diplomats from the Consulate enjoy diplomatic immunity, but the construction workers the Consulate has hired from China are not. They may be arrested, should a court ordered them to be arrested, outside the Consulate and outside consulate vehicles.

3. The Consulate has every legal right to argue their case in court, but if they lose their case, and the court orders the construction to be halted, we expect the Consulate to comply. Non-compliance shall lead to one or more staff members from their consulate in Belfast to be declared a persona non grata, and continued non-compliance may prompt us to order the consulate to shut down.

I commend this statement to the House.

Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And yet again we see the PM only really caring about one thing:

Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The Prime Minister is back writing about the only topic he cares about.

They're building a wall. It's a wall. A wall! :rolleyes:
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I care about the rule of law in the UK. Our courts' authority must be respected.

Although I can see why some people oppose to standing up to China, as it just unleashed its "national security" law today which criminalizes anyone anywhere in the world doing anything they deemed to be bringing hatred to China. I can see that you are just afraid of being arrested by China, or be abducted by China in the UK, just as a Swedish citizen was when he was in Thailand.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by El Salvador)
I care about the rule of law in the UK. Our courts' authority must be respected.

Although I can see why some people oppose to standing up to China, as it just unleashed its "national security" law today which criminalizes anyone anywhere in the world doing anything they deemed to be bringing hatred to China. I can see that you are just afraid of being arrested by China, or be abducted by China in the UK, just as a Swedish citizen was when he was in Thailand.
But I thought the domestic law of the receiving country was irrelevant...oh wait, it's you that said that.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

The High Court decided against issuing an injunction to stop the work. It only gave out a temporary stop notice until a later ruling (which has happened)

Why don't you respect the final ruling by the High Court?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Capture2345.PNG

What's changed?

Why was it that 5 months ago local law did not apply but now it does?
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
The High Court decided against issuing an injunction to stop the work. It only gave out a temporary stop notice until a later ruling (which has happened)

Why don't you respect the final ruling by the High Court?
"if they lose their case...we expect the Consulate to comply"

Next time, read the item in question before criticising.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Jesus leave it out man, last time I checked you're meant to be the PM of the United Kingdom, not China. I can't even be bothered with this, so thank god it's a statement so a vote isn't happening.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Why not wait until after the case is concluded to issue the statement rather than issuing what is ultimately a speculative statement which boils down to "Reeeee, China man bad!"
Joleee
Report 1 week ago
prsom. The Mogg
abucha3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Jesus leave it out man, last time I checked you're meant to be the PM of the United Kingdom, not China. I can't even be bothered with this, so thank god it's a statement so a vote isn't happening.
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Why not wait until after the case is concluded to issue the statement rather than issuing what is ultimately a speculative statement which boils down to "Reeeee, China man bad!"
I must say I am surprised you both are opposed to the Statement. I would have thought you would back moves which criticise the Communist Chinese regime, as two distinguished Libertarian right wingers.

The issue of China is now a major international issue, particularly for the UK. Should we be allowing them to build our 5G infrastructure, or should that contract be awarded to someone else? What pressure should we be putting onto them regarding their responsibility for the Coronavirus?

Also, a formal colonial territory, Hong Kong, who are incredibly loyal and connected to the United Kingdom, are currently at risk from being sucked further into this authoritarian Communist regime which is looking to restrict their freedom of speech.

I would also have thought as being economically right wing, you would support the model that is Hong Kong and its right to continue.

It does feel a bit like opposition for oppositions sake...
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mr Speaker, i fully support this statement.

I also agree with my colleague, other Hon. Members should not whine if a member chooses to engage in a policy area they are passionate about. This is the Mhoc and there is no limit on how we can delve into either foreign or domestic matters.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I have! Next time, use a source that isn't out of date before criticising. The consulate didn't lose their case.

http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb...1/content.html
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Mr Speaker, i fully support this statement.

I also agree with my colleague, other Hon. Members should not whine if a member chooses to engage in a policy area they are passionate about. This is the Mhoc and there is no limit on how we can delve into either foreign or domestic matters.
A court has ruled in the consulate's favour. Why do you want ignore court rulings?
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A court has ruled in the consulate's favour. Why do you want ignore court rulings?
I have found no evidence of this. The only court activity I can see is council officials having applied to the High Court for an injunction to temporarily prevent the building of the wall, after a stop notice issued by the council was ignored. Would you care to share your source?
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I have found no evidence of this. The only court activity I can see is council officials having applied to the High Court for an injunction to temporarily prevent the building of the wall, after a stop notice issued by the council was ignored. Would you care to share your source?
A judge refused to order a halt after ruling diplomatic immunity protected their actions.

LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Aye.
**** Xi Jingping and the CCP.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not that serious for a statement....the UK clutching at straws to keep its head above the water internationally, has been above its weight for a few years now, is starting to set in now as economies realign in reference to their populations
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A judge refused to order a halt after ruling diplomatic immunity protected their actions.

Unfortunately that article is behind a paywall, there are no other reports and I cannot find the judgment on the NI judiciary website, so it seems that we cannot know the reasoning.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (33)
8.03%
Confident (55)
13.38%
Indifferent (58)
14.11%
Unsure (105)
25.55%
Worried (160)
38.93%

Watched Threads