The Student Room Group

Clashing Open Days?

on the 27th sept for example.. i want to go to both girton college, cambridge and edinburgh uni, and was wondering if anyone has had similar issues? also, is it worth going for a tour by yourself when it isnt an open day or will these be ten minutes long and a waste of 3/5hrs travelling either way?

also, is it worth applying for a course, and ony going to visit if you receive an offer?
I've noticed this too. I've just planned to visit the cities at different times.

My sister only visited the places after getting her offers (or if she had interviews), so I don't think it would matter too much if you didn't go before. Only if you were having real trouble choosing between unis.
Reply 2
Yep, all the unis i wanted to go to held open days on the same days... so annoying! I swear they do it on purpose too.
Reply 3
I'm was planning on just visiting far away unis after/if I got an offer, as I'm in the south of England, and the prospect on spending goodness knows how much and how long on travelling to Scotland wasn't particularly appealing.

I visited the local-ish ones, and out of three which from prospectuses etc. that I thought I would really like, I ended up hating 2 of them. So if you do decide to just visit them after you get an offer, check and double check with prospectuses, on here, from other people who may have visited it etc. that it is what you think it is.
Reply 4
hmm. this may sound silly but although its not a really necessity i really want to see them all just to give me something to aim towards throughout autumn, and to motivate me.
and i really am having trouble making decisions about them, because prospectuses dont compare to seeing it for real..
Reply 5
Email the universities concerned and explain your situation and ask what they would be able to arrange if you travelled up to see them and mention how far you would have to travel - ie so you make the visit worth it.

I'm sure they'd be willing to arrange something for you.

I'd go and visit before you apply otherwise it might be a wasted choice if you go after applying and realise you don't like it.
Some univeristies do offer different dates through the year, like one or two, for example my third choice univerisity had 3 open days which you could attend. Alternatively others offer a 'tour day' which you can arrange to go to if you contact the uni, if you can't make the open day, as they understand this.
Do try and see for yourself what the uni is like before settling on your choices, so you can get a feel for the place. :smile:
Obviously if you can't, it's not the end of the world, but it would help to make up you're mind :smile:
Reply 7
Some unis do the open days that you go to before you apply, and then visit days after you apply, so even if you dont get a chance to visit to start with there are lots of opportunities to go have a look around!

I'd definitely recommend trying to visit as many unis as possible though, I ended up hating the place I loved to begin with and loving the place I thought I didnt stand a chance in!!

Latest

Trending

Trending