Amberlouise1012
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
How does further maths work at A-level? Do you also have to take regular maths? I don't understand a-levels much and barely anyone in my family has made it past secondary school. Also, how difficult is it?
username4247768
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
which exam board are you doing it with?
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Amberlouise1012)
How does further maths work at A-level? Do you also have to take regular maths? I don't understand a-levels much and barely anyone in my family has made it past secondary school. Also, how difficult is it?
yh i think you have to take normal maths to take further maths
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well its a stand alone A-level, with its own syllabus & examinations.

You effectively have to take maths A-level as the content builds on the A-level maths syllabus, and if you didn’t understand A-level maths you have zero shot at further maths.

It’s basically just delving deeper into maths & covering more mathematics, which for those planning on studying highly analytical subjects at uni is a huge benefit.
JGoosey2002
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes you have to take either only maths or both. You can’t take just further maths alone.

It’s pretty difficult from what I did of it. Wouldn’t take unless you are willing to work very hard or are very good at maths naturally. However, if you did 4 A levels from the start, you can drop further maths if you find it too hard
Amberlouise1012
Rep:
?
(Original post by JGoosey2002)
Yes you have to take either only maths or both. You can’t take just further maths alone.

It’s pretty difficult from what I did of it. Wouldn’t take unless you are willing to work very hard or are very good at maths naturally. However, if you did 4 A levels from the start, you can drop further maths if you find it too hard
Thank you This cleared things up
Squirmz
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
To do Further Maths A-Level, i’d say you’d need A* or A^ at Further Maths GCSE to even stand a chance, some of the stuff can be very tricky.
Amberlouise1012
Rep:
?
(Original post by mazenod)
To do Further Maths A-Level, i’d say you’d need A* or A^ at Further Maths GCSE to even stand a chance, some of the stuff can be very tricky.
We wasn't given the option of further maths at GCSE but if it helps, I'm getting 9's in my mocks.
Squirmz
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
We wasn't given the option of further maths at GCSE but if it helps, I'm getting 9's in my mocks.
It’s a rough situation then, a lot of the content from Further Maths GCSE is useful for AS Maths, and it gives you a massive time boost to get everything done within the two years. There are many people who get 9s in GCSE Maths who would not do well in Further Maths, and A-Level is a HUGE step-up from GCSE in Maths, to the point that after finishing the A-Level content, a GCSE paper looks as easy as a bunch of sums. You have to really love Maths to do Further Maths, since you’ll be spending 4-5 hours on Maths alone several days a week. It has to be your biggest aptitude. If you are considering Engineering, Physics or Maths at Uni, FM is a fantastic choice, if not, especially since you aren’t doing FM GCSE, it’s not worth the risk or the effort.
username4247768
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Over the summer I advise looking at WJEC Additional Maths. It's really easy to understand yourself and is a bridge between gcse and as. It sets you up for integration, trig ratios, differentiation etc and only takes max 5 weeks to learn. I taught myself all of it in 5 days before my exam last year
Amberlouise1012
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amelia 123)
Over the summer I advise looking at WJEC Additional Maths. It's really easy to understand yourself and is a bridge between gcse and as. It sets you up for integration, trig ratios, differentiation etc and only takes max 5 weeks to learn. I taught myself all of it in 5 days before my exam last year
Thank you! I'll definitely have a look!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (68)
14.81%
I'm not sure (16)
3.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (154)
33.55%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.74%
I'm not a current university student (213)
46.41%

Watched Threads