Have any online courses helped you with your Degree?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there!

I'm currently a Second Year Game Design Student (Starting from September, as just passed my first year!).

Due to the Corona restrictions, i'm very much free to do what I want, 12 hours a day, and since I don't really play games anymore or watch movies, i've been working on making games to boost my skills, ready for Year 2 (And to get ahead of my class mates).

I noticed recently (When looking up tutorials online on how to do certain things) that there's a lot of "Advanced" courses you can buy online (For like £10) that teaches you the basic fundamentals of software, coding, stuff like that.

From someone who has maybe bought one of these online courses to help them with their own degree, do these help?

I've looked over a few of them, and they seem a bit meh, low quality, but maybe someone used some that were helpful?

Many thanks for answers!
Cheesecake101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Open learn ( by the open university ) has some really good free online courses. I just searched one up for you and found a simple coding course eg its skills and concepts. Search it! (:
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Cheesecake101)
Open learn ( by the open university ) has some really good free online courses. I just searched one up for you and found a simple coding course eg its skills and concepts. Search it! (:
I'll check it out, thankyou for the reply!
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I used an online courser provider called Coursera when they first started out and they were awesome, video/peer work courses in 100's of things, lots of big unis worldwide contributed to it and I ended up doing audio courses from Berklee College of Music in Boston, Energy 101 from Georgia, Astrobiology from Edinburgh...tons of stuff all for free. They had tons of coding/game type things too.

They've since developed a bit and I think they want money for some/most things, originally their certificates were 'unofficial' as they couldn't verify online IDs but they now do certified ones, but overall I found it am amazing resource and gave me a lot of confidence to return to college/uni afterwards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (33)
8.03%
Confident (55)
13.38%
Indifferent (58)
14.11%
Unsure (105)
25.55%
Worried (160)
38.93%

Watched Threads