bznemic
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Im thinking of doing a biochemistry undergrad degree because i still have no idea what i want to do as a career and i know biochem unlocks a lot of possibilities. but one of the careers id like is in medicine, and im unsure whether to wait and finish my biochem degree then go for grad entry medicine if i still want to or if i should just go straight away into medicine. any ideas
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by bznemic)
Im thinking of doing a biochemistry undergrad degree because i still have no idea what i want to do as a career and i know biochem unlocks a lot of possibilities. but one of the careers id like is in medicine, and im unsure whether to wait and finish my biochem degree then go for grad entry medicine if i still want to or if i should just go straight away into medicine. any ideas
How much research have you done into a career in medicine? Have you done any medical work experience?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by bznemic)
The usual TSR advice is, if your heart is set on Medicine - go for a gap year and reapply next year.

Doing a random degree that you're not interested in, or doing one solely for graduate entry medicine, takes longer, costs more and is much more competitive (GEM is at least 2x, upto 10x more competitive) than reapplying aftering a gap year to standard undergrad medicine.

However, if you are uncertain then you shouldn't force yourself into trying for Medicine. My personal opinion isif you're thinking of Medicine or something else, do something else. Just getting to the starting line (for Medicine application) can be very stressful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (617)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (769)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads