astayuno
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I heard how my nea wasn't submitted to the aqa exam boards so i pretty much wasted alot of time collecting data/doing statistical analysis and tests

I made this thread to help anyone out in case they needed help and listed some of the resources i found helpful

for my statistical test i used a spearmans rank coeffecient and this site is good at calculating the Rs value and gives a solid conclusion : https://geographyfieldwork.com/Spear...alculator.html

For the parts which i got stuck on, i looked at the specimen component 3 nea examples (found on the aqa website) and this site was also helpful :https://www.rgs.org/CMSPages/GetFile...c19&lang=en-GB

of course you need a range of quantitative data and the Census was my go to site but because the quite outdated (http://www.ukcensusdata.com) i would suggest to use ONS : https://www.ons.gov.uk/

For those that want to do and index of multiple deprivation, the cdrc updated the data from 2015 to 2019: https://maps.cdrc.ac.uk/

For your bibliographies you'll need a way of referencing so I used: http://www.neilstoolbox.com/bibliography-creator
Letme know if you need or help with anything
Last edited by astayuno; 5 days ago
JOSH4598
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by astayuno)
So I heard how my nea wasn't submitted to the aqa exam boards so i pretty much wasted alot of time collecting data/doing statistical analysis and tests
I'm in year 13 - to my belief the grade/mark you get in your Geography NEA will be considered when forming your calculated grades which teachers objectively decide on.

However it will not be considered in the grade from the Autumn exams, if you opt to sit them.

If you've already finished and submitted your Geography NEA (like me) then it won't be entirely wasted - if you do well in it then your calculated grade will be higher.
Tkt12345
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by JOSH4598)
I'm in year 13 - to my belief the grade/mark you get in your Geography NEA will be considered when forming your calculated grades which teachers objectively decide on.

However it will not be considered in the grade from the Autumn exams, if you opt to sit them.

If you've already finished and submitted your Geography NEA (like me) then it won't be entirely wasted - if you do well in it then your calculated grade will be higher.
(Original post by astayuno)

I made this thread to help anyone out in case they needed help and listed some of the resources i found helpful

for my statistical test i used a spearmans rank coeffecient and this site is good at calculating the Rs value and gives a solid conclusion : https://geographyfieldwork.com/Spear...alculator.html

For the parts which i got stuck on, i looked at the specimen component 3 nea examples (found on the aqa website) and this site was also helpful :https://www.rgs.org/CMSPages/GetFile...c19&lang=en-GB

of course you need a range of quantitative data and the Census was my go to site but because the quite outdated (http://www.ukcensusdata.com) i would suggest to use ONS : https://www.ons.gov.uk/

For those that want to do and index of multiple deprivation, the cdrc updated the data from 2015 to 2019: https://maps.cdrc.ac.uk/

Letme know if you need or help with anything
hi im in yr 12 rn and had no idea about the nea. my teacher is pretty useless and we are behind on content. is there anything i can do in the summer holidays to prepare for it? also do you have any ideas on what i could do it about?
Tkt12345
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Tkt12345)
hi im in yr 12 rn and had no idea about the nea. my teacher is pretty useless and we are behind on content. is there anything i can do in the summer holidays to prepare for it? also do you have any ideas on what i could do it about?
any advice would be much appriciated, as i know nothing about it
Sorara
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
any advice would be much appriciated, as i know nothing about
Think about the topics that you enjoyed studying this year, e.g. inequalities, gentrification, carbon systems, etc.

Do some wider reading on your topic of interest and write up a literature review

IMO, I think doing your NEA on Changing places is easier and more manageable, compared to physical topics (unless you live near the sea) especially considering the situation with COVID-19

Here's a guide: https://www.rgs.org/CMSPages/GetFile...c19&lang=en-GB
Last edited by Sorara; 6 days ago
Tkt12345
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Sorara)
Think about the topics that you enjoyed studying this year, e.g. inequalities, gentrification, carbon systems, etc.

Do some wider reading on your topic of interest and write up a literature review

IMO, I think doing your NEA on Changing places is easier and more manageable, compared to physical topics (unless you live near the sea) especially considering the situation with COVID-19
so far i've only studied globalisation, natural hazards and regenerating places. i find physical geo more interesting but don't know what i could write about it for a nea. i have some research from my gcse fieldwork about a local river and i think the question for that was seeing if the river profile matches the bradshaw model. could i write about that? i saw a few examples of people talking about coastal erosion management strategies which i find interesting, but would i have to be able to go to the place or can i just research online?
Becca216
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
If it helps any year 12s on here, a lot of teachers are calling for the NEA to be scrapped this year due to all the time off school, cancelled field trips and a lot of the data collection methods being tricky to do in the current situation. Nothing has been confirmed by exam boards yet so if you have started then you might as well get as much done over summer, if you haven't/your teachers haven't told you anything I wouldn't worry too much at the minute :heart:
Sorara
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
so far i've only studied globalisation, natural hazards and regenerating places. i find physical geo more interesting but don't know what i could write about it for a nea. i have some research from my gcse fieldwork about a local river and i think the question for that was seeing if the river profile matches the bradshaw model. could i write about that? i saw a few examples of people talking about coastal erosion management strategies which i find interesting, but would i have to be able to go to the place or can i just research online?
1) Yes, you could write about that if you wanted to

2) I think examiners would like to see both primary data and secondary data (how much depends on your topic) - coastal management strategies are interesting (you could look at articles at how coastal businesses have been affected before and after these strategies have been implemented, as well as weather data). However, you would need to plan your data collection methods carefully if you choose to go to a nearby coast that is quite far from your home. I only came up with a finalised title after I collected lots of data (I did globalisation of my local area)
JOSH4598
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
For my college, all Geography students start the NEA during Jan/Feb time of Year 12. Then we have up to October (start of Year 13) to hand it in. Quite helpful as we have the summer holidays to do most of the work.

I think most colleges do the whole NEA in Year 13, but it's weird how they haven't even mentioned it. Especially as it's worth 25% of your overall grade. Best advise is the get together some ideas as to what you want to study/investigate in the field of Geography as most people waste weeks deciding on a topic which could be spent doing the initial work.
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
We’re not starting ours until at least September now, so thank you for the resources! Thinking of doing one about gentrification perhaps? Definitely a human one :lol:
Tkt12345
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Sorara)
1) Yes, you could write about that if you wanted to

2) I think examiners would like to see both primary data and secondary data (how much depends on your topic) - coastal management strategies are interesting (you could look at articles at how coastal businesses have been affected before and after these strategies have been implemented, as well as weather data). However, you would need to plan your data collection methods carefully if you choose to go to a nearby coast that is quite far from your home. I only came up with a finalised title after I collected lots of data (I did globalisation of my local area)
okay thank you sm! i probably wont do that then as there arent any coasts near me
Tkt12345
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
For my college, all Geography students start the NEA during Jan/Feb time of Year 12. Then we have up to October (start of Year 13) to hand it in. Quite helpful as we have the summer holidays to do most of the work.

I think most colleges do the whole NEA in Year 13, but it's weird how they haven't even mentioned it. Especially as it's worth 25% of your overall grade. Best advise is the get together some ideas as to what you want to study/investigate in the field of Geography as most people waste weeks deciding on a topic which could be spent doing the initial work.
wow thats really good as you have lots of time to think about what u wanna do! thank you will definitely get some ideas.
isabellajackson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
does anyone have any ideas for an NEA title on changing places?
Lightning720
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
My teacher gave me full marks for my coursework. Obviously it's not going to be moderated but I was very happy with this. I did mine on regeneration in a local town.
JOSH4598
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by isabellajackson)
does anyone have any ideas for an NEA title on changing places?
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/geog...hanging-places

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...7036-TG-CP.PDF

These are probably some good links to look at. I saved the PDFs for all the different topic areas (on the website) and worked out what I wanted to do my NEA on. My exam board isn't AQA but if you're using it just to generate ideas it's perfectly fine.
astayuno
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago

Well not for us, mainly because the NEA deadline was after date in which schools were shut down, which meant many of the students that didn't complete their NEA were let off the hook and then there was me that completed the whole thing in the summer holidays to get it out the way so i doubt mine will be the only one submitted.

It's all about the 3 hypothesis and making sure you get them right as these form the structure to the whole coursework.
Figure out what your fieldwork enquiry title is and then form the hypotheses based off of them eg "To what extent is there evidence of X in Y" where here X could be a process ie gentrification/regeneration/a type of perception and Y is the location of your fieldwork. So for gentrification, you could tailor your hypotheses to housing prices/environmental quality/occupations
You need to make sure the hypotheses can be answered easily within your data presentation and analysis, you have to use a range of techniques (methodology) to support the hypotheses so get a mix of 3rd party and primary data eg EQI/Housing Decay Index etc

The general advice is to go for a human geography related title as you're most likely living in an urban area and so it's more time effective to get data from the area closest to you and I doubt you'll have distinctive lakes/physical features present

(Original post by Becca216)
If it helps any year 12s on here, a lot of teachers are calling for the NEA to be scrapped this year due to all the time off school, cancelled field trips and a lot of the data collection methods being tricky to do in the current situation. Nothing has been confirmed by exam boards yet so if you have started then you might as well get as much done over summer, if you haven't/your teachers haven't told you anything I wouldn't worry too much at the minute :heart:
Well if that's the case then make sure you focus heavily on the content. Or prioritise weaker subjects you have as the free time you waste now could come back to bite ya

(Original post by laurawatt)
We’re not starting ours until at least September now, so thank you for the resources! Thinking of doing one about gentrification perhaps? Definitely a human one :lol:
Yup I did gentrification too as you could do alot of things for methodology, I ended up doing an EQI and Quality Decay Index for the primary data collections, letme know if you need anything specific for the literature review/bibliographies
isabellajackson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/geog...hanging-places

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...7036-TG-CP.PDF

These are probably some good links to look at. I saved the PDFs for all the different topic areas (on the website) and worked out what I wanted to do my NEA on. My exam board isn't AQA but if you're using it just to generate ideas it's perfectly fine.
Thank you so much! ill have a look now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (76)
18.63%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (82)
20.1%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (78)
19.12%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (89)
21.81%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.05%
I haven't started researching yet (42)
10.29%

Watched Threads