Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7579124.stm

why?.........WHY?!?!?!?!?!?

wtf is this guys problem. i mean seriously!

Quote from SNP guy:

Do we want to get rid of the GB team and have a European team because a European team would sweep the board?

hey i know, lets just compete as seperate cities and villages. send in a sheffield team. why not......

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they can have Murray.

ReputationRep:
    About time we had an England team.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with him, there should be a scottish team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King4eva)
    i agree with him, there should be a scottish team
    why?

ReputationRep:
    His point about "What I would say to them, do Irish athletes want to rejoin the UK and be part of the UK team?" fails, because there are Irish athletes who compete as part of Team GB....

Besides, Scotland isn't an official country, what they are calling for is the same as a state of the USA asking to compete individually, its absurd.

ReputationRep:
    Scottish medals for Scottish people!!

ReputationRep:
    TBH, the Scottish team would have a chance of finishing higher in the table than the English. Hoy and quite a few other cyclists, 3 of the mens 4 rowing, Florence and a few more.
    Actually...I don't know. Cycling and rowing would definitely be exciting though.

ReputationRep:
    the england athletics team is imported

ReputationRep:
    the england athletics team is imported
    What do you mean by that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by one2three_abc)
    TBH, the Scottish team would have a chance of finishing higher in the table than the English. Hoy and quite a few other cyclists, 3 of the mens 4 rowing, Florence and a few more.
    Actually...I don't know. Cycling and rowing would definitely be exciting though.
    They wouldn't be there without the funding they get from Westminster :rolleyes: It would also be interesting to see whose facilities they use to train...

ReputationRep:
    we are ONE country. england scotland wales and NI.
    We should compete as that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    What do you mean by that?
    a lot of the english athletics team arent originally from england

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by one2three_abc)
    Wrong :cool:

Hoy said in an interview that the main reason he won gold was because of the facilities, equipment and coaches provided to him from Britain. Scotland doesnt have these and Hoy would find it a lot harder to be competitve.

According to this map he was the only scottish guy too. Where did you get this 3/4 mens 4 rubbish from :confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7570978.stm

ReputationRep:
    a lot of the english athletics team arent originally from england
    First of all it's the British athletics team.

And by "originally" what do you mean?

If they were Born here or have a British passport, they are British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by untitled person)
    we are ONE country. england scotland wales and NI.
    We should compete as that
    i agree with you.

We should also be supporting our nations athletes as ONE country and not bickering about who's from which constituent country and how they get their funding.

At the end of the day, they're all working towards earning medals for GB and we should be proud of their successes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    Wrong :cool:

Hoy said in an interview that the main reason he won gold was because of the facilities, equipment and coaches provided to him from Britain. Scotland doesnt have these and Hoy would find it a lot harder to be competitve.

According to this map he was the only scottish guy too. Where did you get this 3/4 mens 4 rubbish from :confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7570978.stm
    Exactly (I said that too! :p:)

It's a shame so many people are bitter over our great country, and it is kinda ironic that it was a Scotsman that united us :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    His point about "What I would say to them, do Irish athletes want to rejoin the UK and be part of the UK team?" fails, because there are Irish athletes who compete as part of Team GB....
    But they aren't Irish, they're Northern Irish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamin)
    i agree with you.

We should also be supporting our nations athletes as ONE country and not bickering about who's from which constituent country and how they get their funding.

At the end of the day, they're all working towards earning medals for GB and we should be proud of their successes.
    Yes, i was kinda disheartened when I saw the English flag waving in that after party thing in front of Buckingham Palace. And also at the various events when Scottish/English flags were waving

Funnily enough I never see Welsh flags :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    But they aren't Irish, they're Northern Irish.
    He was talking about the Northern Irish athletes, because if you are from Northern Ireland you can choose to represent Ireland OR Great Britain

IF he wasn't talking about Northern Ireland then he is being completely ridiculous as Ireland is an independent country - why would it compete with Great Britain?, Scotland isn't...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.