Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This made me laugh. I hope they make a British football team for 2012. Scotland can compete on the world stage as an olympic nation? Has he even seen a map showing where state of the art sports facilities are distributed throughout the UK....crikey. They seem to be very confused about Scotland being a seperate country. It's a devolved region, not a state in its own right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    He was talking about the Northern Irish athletes, because if you are from Northern Ireland you can choose to represent Ireland OR Great Britain

IF he wasn't talking about Northern Ireland then he is being completely ridiculous as Ireland is an independent country - why would it compete with Great Britain?, Scotland isn't...
    Yes, but those who are Irish play for Ireland, those who are British play for UK. Thus, to call the Team GB members from Northern Ireland "Irish" is wrong.

Besides, his quote clearly shows he was talking about the south.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    But they aren't Irish, they're Northern Irish.

You're still Irish if you're from northern Ireland....

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but those who are Irish play for Ireland, those who are British play for UK. Thus, to call the Team GB members from Northern Ireland "Irish" is wrong.
    I didn't say it HE did, I quoted him...I was pointing out how he was wrong, regardless of terminology.

ReputationRep:
    On the NEWS the woman said the survey they conducted on the streets of Glasgow supported team GB, and they were proud of what we acheived togther. Salmon(d) face needs a good fist in his face the haggis eating obese ****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamin)
    i agree with you.

We should also be supporting our nations athletes as ONE country and not bickering about who's from which constituent country and how they get their funding.

At the end of the day, they're all working towards earning medals for GB and we should be proud of their successes.
    I agree!

Afterall if it did become a team of Scotland, England and Wales etc...

Those teams would never stand a chance of getting a placement in the medal tables like Great Britian did in Bejing, afterall the state of Texas is bigger than Britian alone let alone England.

So if we all had our own teams we wouldnt have a hope in hell. (In my opinion)

ReputationRep:
    does it actually matter? it's just people crying over an unimportant issue when there are so many more problems that we should be worried about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History Rocks)
    I agree!

Those teams would never stand a chance of getting a placement in the medal tables like Great Britian did in Bejing, afterall the state of Texas is bigger than Britian alone let alone England.

It's so true, he mentioned Jamaica, yes Jamaica got golds! whoopee, they didn't and never will get anywhere near 20 golds however...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    According to this map he was the only scottish guy too. Where did you get this 3/4 mens 4 rubbish from :confused:
    Oh, I was pretty sure that in some event where there were 4 people that 3 of them were Scottish, maybe i'm just going crazy...anyway that map is a load of rubbish.

David Florence
    Ross Edgar
    Chris Hoy

To name a few...there are others, I just can't be bothered to trawl through the medalists to find them.

It's so true, he mentioned Jamaica, yes Jamaica got golds! whoopee, they didn't and never will get anywhere near 20 golds however...:rolleyes:
    . . .But they are gradually getting there!! This Olympics they have left with 11, in 2004 they left with 5!

Don't knock them?! . . . .

BIG UP ALL DE JAMAICAN DEM

In regards to the thread - I wonder if Scottish athletes hadn't got gold medals, would this idea of wanting a Scottish team still be on the cards? . . .

ReputationRep:
    Who mentioned Jamaica?

Hmmm:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    . . .But they are gradually getting there!! This Olympics they have left with 11, in 2004 they left with 5!

Yes.-Very true the worse thing you can do is underestimate the oposition:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)

You're still Irish if you're from northern Ireland....
    No to the people who play for Team GB, otherwise they'd choose to play for the Republic, seeing as we are given the choice. :p:

It's an insult to many British Northern Irish to call them Irish.

I didn't say it HE did, I quoted him...I was pointing out how he was wrong, regardless of terminology.
    No, cause, as I said previously, his quote clearly points towards the Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland. He says, and I paraphrase, "do Irish atheletes want to rejoin the UK...", which shows your terminology was wrong and your post mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)

Not knocking them!!!!!!:eek4:

I am half Jamaican :P

Just pointing out that his logic is flawed ^^

Who mentioned Jamaica?

Hmmm:p:
    The article refered to in the OP - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7579124.stm

""If you look at Jamaica, a small island nation, they won gold, silver and bronze in the women's sprint, they've got world records, they've won the men's, the women's 100 and 200 metres and the relay. "

...:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    i'm a scottish nationalist and even i think team gb is better than this, even if wales, england, scotland and n ireland achieve full devolution we should still compete as team gb

Yes.-Very true the worse thing you can do is underestimate the oposition:p:
    :p: :yep: too right lol . . .

I have a feeling that they are going to up their game again for 2012 . .

Not knocking them!!!!!!:eek4:

I am half Jamaican :P

Just pointing out that his logic is flawed ^^
    Oooo my apologies - :o: (misread and misinterpreted) - sowee

ReputationRep:
    No, cause, as I said previously, his quote clearly points towards the Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland. He says, and I paraphrase, "do Irish atheletes want to rejoin the UK...", which shows your terminology was wrong and your post mistaken.
    I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he wouldn't be as stupid as to compare an independent country to Scotland.

Why would an independent country send its athletes to compete for another country?

Scotland is a region of the United Kingdom (country).

If you are going to take it that he was referring to the ROI it just makes him even the more stupid and his point even the more irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    I agree!

In my opinion, you are wrong. India has a huge population, but not many medals. Australia has a small population but lots of medals. By that arguement, surely we should all join up to create a european team, getting more medals etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    In my opinion, you are wrong. India has a huge population, but not many medals. Australia has a small population but lots of medals. By that arguement, surely we should all join up to create a european team, getting more medals etc.
    A big population + investment in sport = win

You need both to succeed, if India put more investment in then they too would be dominating the table :yep:

At this time however, it evidently isn't a priority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by untitled person)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7579124.stm

why?.........WHY?!?!?!?!?!?

wtf is this guys problem. i mean seriously!

Quote from SNP guy:

Do we want to get rid of the GB team and have a European team because a European team would sweep the board?

hey i know, lets just compete as seperate cities and villages. send in a sheffield team. why not......
    Instead of just saying "he's wrong" it would have been nice if you actually countered at least one of the points raised in the article.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.