What factors have led to the rise in terrorism in the Uk

Watch
Carmzyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hi guys, I’m trying to use this as a base to further develop a research question for my dissertation I was wondering if anyone could help narrow it down. I want to discuss things like radicalisation and recruitment and whether counter terrorism in the Uk has been effective. If anyone can share some advise or questions around this would be super helpful ❤️
ayumie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I read that Brexit caused a rise in hate-crimes from Right-Wing individuals, right-wing terrorism is seemingly more apparent nowadays then ever before. You could look further into that, it’s pretty interesting.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Dislocation of the youth is probably the preeminent reason. Quickly followed by such things as the Saudi policy of exporting their perverse ideology and teaching it globally (after all its hardly a big leap from Whabbism to terrorism).
Then there are more interesting subtle practices that the UK is at fault for, not least allowing various radical islamist groups to operate on its soil - either to thumb their noses at countries they dont like (syria, Libya, Iraq et al.) or due to some quaint notion of freedom of speech. There were quite a few books on terrorism that noted the effect of 'londonstan' where terror groups or, at least, their parent groups would propagate themselves, fundraise etc.
Lastly, one of the important reasons is the advent of rolling news coverege (imo) combined with largish expat/immigrant/refugee communities - where these people can see blow by blow videos of 'evil western dogs' pounding muslim countries into dust. If nothing else it is a great way to enrage people.

.. and of course all of these things dovetail quite nicely together.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Carmzyy)
Hi guys, I’m trying to use this as a base to further develop a research question for my dissertation I was wondering if anyone could help narrow it down. I want to discuss things like radicalisation and recruitment and whether counter terrorism in the Uk has been effective. If anyone can share some advise or questions around this would be super helpful ❤️
First of all what is the evidence that there has been a rise in terrorism in the UK?

Compare the number of attacks in the early 1970s with today.

Then read back further into politically motivated violence satisfying the definition of terrorism but before the invention of the term.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Rise in what time?

I don't see what is your question. There were different reasons for Irish terrorism, communist terrorism, green terrorism, muslim terrorism, alt-right and so on. Apart from the necessary condition for any terrorism in any country is to be conflicted with some group too weak to run an open war, and letting them on your ground.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Carmzyy)
What’s led to the rise of terrorism in the UK? An ever bigger Muslim population.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
The appropriate steps have not been taken to guard the public from those who are a threat, consistently haven't been taken I should say. How many times after a terror attack have we heard the phrase 'they were known to MI6.' I have no issue with immigration, I genuinely believe it is overwhelmingly a good thing for this country. However, the checks that go in place are another factor which has not helped to guard the British population.

To my original point though, as soon as you have somebody who is a 'terror threat' in anyway shape or form, they should be locked up. It's as simple as that. But because we've had successive governments that consistently have done nothing about crime and punishment we don't get that. We get 'lessons will be learned' when blood has already been spilled. You can not reform everyone, and thinking these people deserve a second chance is what is costing us, time after time.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
You could consider the role of groups or individuals such as at particular mosques. The one in Finsbury Park was cited at one point.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Problems among the two Irelands?
rosacherry
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I think that a lot of people in the Uk can be quite intolerant of other religions and cultures which can cause a lot of tension
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.27%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.41%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (61)
18.65%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (69)
21.1%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.79%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.79%

Watched Threads