Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    i admire your defiant pluck, you remind me of a modern British attitude. At the end of the day, its going to be pretty terrible, its just one of those things.

I mean the weather will just piss it down, and our athletes will throw a tantrum, its just what happens im afraid! :yep:
    It's not one of those things. It's as terrible as people make it. Your attitude is so typically British - highly critical. Who would have thought that we would have done so well in this Olympics? Very few I suspect, yet we lived up to the hype.

Sure, we have problems. Terrorism, transport (major problem) and lack of budget; but I prefer to be optimistic. Personally I can't wait for the games. Can't wait to watch/volunteer/do anything I can to pitch in. Maybe I'm over-optimistic but I think we can put up a mighty good show and a much more honest one than China. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Travelling to London.... £50.... Ticket for the Opening ceremony.... £300... Watching Boris conduct the London 2012 Olympic Games... Priceless

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Britain - we welcome any country that kicks referees in the head.

Because frankly, we as a nation would love him.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    London 2012 - One World, One Hope that it'll stop raining long enough to row down the Thames

ReputationRep:
    "No matter how freaking good this olympics is, you will all hate on it because you decided you would hate it four years ago!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phishy Penguin)
    Travelling to London.... £50.... Ticket for the Opening ceremony.... £300... Watching Boris conduct the London 2012 Olympic Games... Priceless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keekee107)
    :mad: That attitude just gets on my nerves. Sure, it costs a lot of money but so does a lot of things. It's a priveledge to have the games here in our lifetime... sometimes British people annoy me so much...
    yes it is a privilige but some people have different priorities
    some people belive cancer drugs are more important than gold medals

and imagine if you lived in somewhere like wales for example - where we will need to travel for hours to have a chance of seeing some olympics - yet our taxes are being used to fund it - wouldnt you be slightly annoyed?

It even more annoying when we have some of the best mountain bike tracks in the world yet the wisdom of mr coe has decided than custom building a track in essex (?? wtf - its like completely flat) for the mountain bike event - because it is closer.

ReputationRep:
    ''*** u innit''

ReputationRep:
    "London 2012 - Sorry about the mess"

ReputationRep:
    "Welcome to the Olympic Show-Stadium. This is a genuine MDF mock up of what we expect the olympic stadium to be like when work is completed. Estimated completion date: 2016."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    hahah its going to be painful to watch im sure.

edit: This is going to be one of those typical British things where we try and make a big fuss, but in the end it simply turns out to be a bit ***** :yep:.
    beyond painful !

Yes it'll all be hyped up and then flop

We're bad enough at making a fuss of athletes - then they fail because of/under the pressure

Imagine this !

ReputationRep:
    "**** you, Australia."

ReputationRep:
    London: Where our gymnasts are guaranteed to be over 14!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    London 2012 - Well, they said that it would be the year of an apocalypse...

ReputationRep:
    going back to polish - there all over england

ReputationRep:
    Olympics 2012
    MAJOR Traffic Jams in East London

Olympics 2012
    Our logo looks like Lisa Simpson giving head

Olympics 2012
    Happy Birthday Tom Daley, finally hit puberty *applause*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    yes it is a privilige but some people have different priorities
    some people belive cancer drugs are more important than gold medals

and imagine if you lived in somewhere like wales for example - where we will need to travel for hours to have a chance of seeing some olympics - yet our taxes are being used to fund it - wouldnt you be slightly annoyed?

It even more annoying when we have some of the best mountain bike tracks in the world yet the wisdom of mr coe has decided than custom building a track in essex (?? wtf - its like completely flat) for the mountain bike event - because it is closer.
    Sure, the Olympics will cost more to host than it brings in but it will bring in tourism and notority. It's not all just one big cost.

Why have bought a TV, an ipod, a bed, a new carpet; when you could donate all your money to medical research? It's all the same argument. To me, The Olympics is well worth it. It's a once in a lifetime thing and it's worth the expenditure because of that.

Maybe you do live in Wales, but Great Britain is still your country. Events will still be held throughout the country. I, for one, don't live in London but I do respect that London is the centre of our country and - despite the fact it will take me 5 hours to travel there, I can still go and watch events, as can you.

There'll be reason for the building of a new track there. The country is small, transport is already a major problem. Sure, the logo was a waste of money but they're not idiots - despite what you think, and he will have outweighed the cost with the benefit.

ReputationRep:
    hug a hoody?
    stab a chav

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keekee107)
    It's not one of those things. It's as terrible as people make it. Your attitude is so typically British - highly critical. Who would have thought that we would have done so well in this Olympics? Very few I suspect, yet we lived up to the hype.

Sure, we have problems. Terrorism, transport (major problem) and lack of budget; but I prefer to be optimistic. Personally I can't wait for the games. Can't wait to watch/volunteer/do anything I can to pitch in. Maybe I'm over-optimistic but I think we can put up a mighty good show and a much more honest one than China. :yep:
    go for it my love, im just not bothered with the olympics... one lad or lass can run round a track .0001 of a second faster than another, its just so irrelevant!

you have fun getting involved with it though

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.