Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    Don't you mean Jews? :curious:
    If I did, I'd be hating my ancestors...

Yeah, I realised I fluffed up, see other peoples contributions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keekee107)
    Sure, the Olympics will cost more to host than it brings in but it will bring in tourism and notority. It's not all just one big cost.

Why have bought a TV, an ipod, a bed, a new carpet; when you could donate all your money to medical research? It's all the same argument. To me, The Olympics is well worth it. It's a once in a lifetime thing and it's worth the expenditure because of that.

Maybe you do live in Wales, but Great Britain is still your country. Events will still be held throughout the country. I, for one, don't live in London but I do respect that London is the centre of our country and - despite the fact it will take me 5 hours to travel there, I can still go and watch events, as can you.

There'll be reason for the building of a new track there. The country is small, transport is already a major problem. Sure, the logo was a waste of money but they're not idiots - despite what you think, and he will have outweighed the cost with the benefit.
    coe is just a stupid **** - his argument is that he didnt want the athletes to travel far from the olympic village so everything needed to be in london - therefore wales couldnt have anything (even though we are paying for it - surely we have a right to see just 1 event) - yet the sailing is taking place in his home town - hmm how fair is that?

Britain is a small country - like you said transport is bad - so why make the spectators travel, whereas if you made the atheletes travel there would be a lot less traffic - your point is flawed. Or even why not spend a few billion on improving the transport infrastrucutre - ohh wait they are - but only in London - so everybody in the country is paying for the regeneration of London but everybody else gets nothing - not even a single event - because mr coe doesnt want anybody to travel outside london - so tourists will only see london nothing else of the country or what the real britain is really like.

so if we recap:
    london gets regenerated - at the rest of the countries cost
    london gets loads of tourism etc - at the rest of the countries cost
    london gets to see all of the events - at the rest of the countries cost
    london's transport infrastructure gets improved -at the rest of the countries cost

and the rest of the country gets what exactly?

Yes britain is my country and i am proud of that - but it is slightly annoying when vast amounts of britains money gets spent on a very small part of it - it is unfair. All mr coe needed to do is spread a few of the events out - a couple up north, one in scotland, one in wales or something, the vast majority would still take place in london - but the public perception would be improved infinitly - people wouldnt mind

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to London, if you want to see an Anglo Saxon or any English heritage try going to Australia!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    so if we recap:
    london gets regenerated - at the rest of the countries cost
    london gets loads of tourism etc - at the rest of the countries cost
    london gets to see all of the events - at the rest of the countries cost
    london's transport infrastructure gets improved -at the rest of the countries cost

and the rest of the country gets what exactly?
    Are you stupid?

Whatever happens in London has a DIRECT impact on the rest of the country. Money doesn't just stay in London, investment in any part of the country is good for the country as a whole.

Yes it is true that that London will reap short term benefits in terms of infrastructure. But financially it's pretty irrelevant.

The companies that will be making money as a result of the tourism aren't solely London based. They don't get money from a London branch and say right, that branch made this much money so it gets all of that to spend on itself.
    It is collected and then dispersed in ways which they company sees most profitable/of most benefit, i.e. investing in branches that aren't doing so well.

And your point about "london gets to see all of the events - at the rest of the countries cost" is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard.

Do you know what the Olympic games are? They are based in a city, they can't possibly be within a miles walk of EVERYBODY IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY :rolleyes: and it is hardly at the "rest of the countries cost".

P.S. Londorners are paying more than the average taxpayer anyway.

The games will have a positive impact on the whole country whether you are willing to accept that or not.

ReputationRep:
    'London 2010- We don't have a chinese man running around in the air, but if Iraq, Afghanistan, Britain and America can all run on the same race track let's just have a big hug and stop fighting'

I admit, it doesn't really have a ring to it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    Are you stupid?

And your point about "london gets to see all of the events - at the rest of the countries cost" is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard.

Do you know what the Olympic games are? They are based in a city, they can't possibly be within a miles walk of EVERYBODY IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY :rolleyes: and it is hardly at the "rest of the countries cost".

P.S. Londorners are paying more than the average taxpayer anyway.

The games will have a positive impact on the whole country whether you are willing to accept that or not.
    before i start - im all for the olympic games - but i think as ive said they should try an move the events around a little. For example 1 in scotland, 1 in wales, 1 up north or whatever. Is this that unreasonable? Surely you can understand taxpayers who live hours and hours away from London who are slightly annoyed that they are paying for something they will never ever be able to see - all the british olympic committee needed to do was move a couple of the events about - thats not too much to ask is it?

Yes they are based in a city - but for example if you look at bejiing (ithink) the rowing is based over an hour away from the olympic village, the horse riding is based hours and hours away - theyve tried to make an effort to move the events about a bit - so more people can experience the olympics.

whereas the london olympic committee has shown a complete disregard the the majority of the british tax payers - they will not even give the rest of the country 1/2 events. Surely you arent so ridiculously ignorant that you cant understand this point of view?

ReputationRep:
    “Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3.”

Now thats a classic Boris line. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    before i start - im all for the olympic games - but i think as ive said they should try an move the events around a little. For example 1 in scotland, 1 in wales, 1 up north or whatever.
    There are events that are being held around the country already. And I'm sorry but the Olympics are just not like that, the majority of the events are held in London, the COUNTRY did not bid for the Olympics CITIES do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympic_venues

Surely you can understand taxpayers who live hours and hours away from London who are slightly annoyed that they are paying for something they will never ever be able to see - all the british olympic committee needed to do was move a couple of the events about - thats not too much to ask is it?
    It is the same for every Olympic games, that is the nature of the City bid process.

Yes they are based in a city - but for example if you look at bejiing (ithink) the rowing is based over an hour away from the olympic village, the horse riding is based hours and hours away - theyve tried to make an effort to move the events about a bit - so more people can experience the olympics.
    The same is happening in Britain. But regardless the majority of the events took place in and around the Olympic Village.

whereas the london olympic committee has shown a complete disregard the the majority of the british tax payers - they will not even give the rest of the country 1/2 events. Surely you arent so ridiculously ignorant that you cant understand this point of view?
    Not really, and when you think how big China is, they haven't really thought about the majority of their 1.3Billion people seeing the games at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    There are events that are being held around the country already. And I'm sorry but the Olympics are just not like that, the majority of the events are held in London, the COUNTRY did not bid for the Olympics CITIES do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympic_venues 1

It is the same for every Olympic games, that is the nature of the City bid process. 2

The same is happening in Britain. But regardless the majority of the events took place in and around the Olympic Village.

3 Not really, and when you think how big China is, they haven't really thought about the majority of their 1.3Billion people seeing the games at all.
    1 - exactly - i went on this earlier what does wales have exactly - football. no comment on olympic football

2 - im not saying that the majority of the events shouldnt be in london - but just one or two events should - its only fair. I realise that it needs to be one by a city, but the country pays for it. And the olympic people say nothing about moving one or two events around a country.

3 - but at least they tried.

For example - london has got no possible place for the mountain biking. Yet wales has got some of the best tracks in the world. But instead of moving one event to wales they would rather custom build one at a huge expense. By doing this the people of wales would be feel so much more involved with the olympics, and would have no qualms whatsoever about the spending of their taxes on it. Just this little gesture would improve public perception/support no end.

My original post was quoting a person saying that people should just stop complaining about the olympics - they are good for london etc, and it isnt a waste of taxpayers money. I was just trying to make them see the other side of the argument. Cant you see that people have a right to be annoyed? The london committee have been really selfish by not letting 1/2 events go to different parts of the country like what usually happens in other olympics

ReputationRep:
    1 - exactly - i went on this earlier what does wales have exactly - football. no comment on olympic football
    So? that is not a valid point, just because you do not like the event that is taking place there doesn't mean you should get another one:rolleyes:

2 - im not saying that the majority of the events shouldnt be in london - but just one or two events should - its only fair. I realise that it needs to be one by a city, but the country pays for it. And the olympic people say nothing about moving one or two events around a country.
    You have an event.

3 - but at least they tried.
    You have an event.

For example - london has got no possible place for the mountain biking. Yet wales has got some of the best tracks in the world. But instead of moving one event to wales they would rather custom build one at a huge expense. By doing this the people of wales would be feel so much more involved with the olympics, and would have no qualms whatsoever about the spending of their taxes on it. Just this little gesture would improve public perception/support no end.
    It is the LONDON Olympics, not the United Kingdom Olympics.

And mountain biking is taking part in Hadleigh Country Park....

My original post was quoting a person saying that people should just stop complaining about the olympics - they are good for london etc, and it isnt a waste of taxpayers money. I was just trying to make them see the other side of the argument. Cant you see that people have a right to be annoyed? The london committee have been really selfish by not letting 1/2 events go to different parts of the country like what usually happens in other olympics
    Wales will get the benefit, as I said in my first response to you - most of which you seemed to ignore, just not in Infrastructure (arguably the least important part of the overall benefit of hosting the Olympics).

Plus London taxpayers are contributing more than the average taxpayer.

ReputationRep:
    What I find frustrating is the number of people who believe themselves to be really funny when they comment on how bad 2012 will be. That is all it is, they attempt to make jokes, but they are never very funny. It's not pessimism, because there is always a kind of pathetic enthusiasm about it failing.

I think it will probably be pretty good, it's not going to be bad is it?

ReputationRep:
    London 2012: ''WEAR A STAB PROOF VEST!''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    London 2012: ''WEAR A STAB PROOF VEST!''
    LOLZ:yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    London, where knife crime is the new olympic sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    WELCOME TO LONDON! Please head towards Leicester Square for China Town! For Indians, follow directions to Wembley and Tooting! Somalians go south to Streatham! Carribeans head west to Notting Hill! Africans try Brixton! Greeks it's Golders Green and Polish it's Wood Green! For a real taste of England, travel North!
    yours is truly ****e:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u_dun_noe)
    London, where knife crime is the new olympic sport.
    lol, the chavs would get a lot of Gold medals.

ReputationRep:
    "What ever you do; DONT JUMP THE TICKET BARRIORS!"

But personaly im looking forward to watching Prince Phillip insult every nation on the planet in a single day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    lol, the chavs would get a lot of Gold medals.
    why would chavs be in the olympics?

ReputationRep:
    ^^ They stab people...? (Hoodies)

ReputationRep:
    London 2012: Like Beijing, but pish!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.