Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    ^^ They stab people...? (Hoodies)
    the people that stab people in london are not Chavs - they're just cold blooded!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u_dun_noe)
    the people that stab people in london are not Chavs - they're just cold blooded!!
    I rest my case...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)

It is the LONDON Olympics, not the United Kingdom Olympics.
    Well why doesn't London pay for their own bloody olympics?

Let's face it, as much as you say the money is going to benefit the UK, London is taking lottery funding from other charitable organisations all over the country. These are organisations which look after older, vulnerable people - what benefit will they get from the olympics?

ReputationRep:
    ^^

They are paying EXTRA. If you have problems reading, I suggest extra lessons in READING

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grum Fox)
    Well why doesn't London pay for their own bloody olympics?

Let's face it, as much as you say the money is going to benefit the UK, London is taking lottery funding from other charitable organisations all over the country. These are organisations which look after older, vulnerable people - what benefit will they get from the olympics?
    London citizens are paying more than the average taxpayer Plus it is only reasonable for everyone to pay for it seeing as there will be benefits that will be felt by the entire country.

The country will benefit as a whole - you cannot look at it in regards to individuals such as the "old" and the "vulnerable" because it isn't possible to quantify on such a small scale. Obviously not every individual will see the benefits straight away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    ^^

They are paying EXTRA. If you have problems reading, I suggest extra lessons in READING
    I don't like Reading... been there once before - not my bag.

I can read - I said 'why don't they pay for it'. This means, London putting up the cash in its entirety. Reading comprehension, I suggest extra lessons in it.

ReputationRep:
    why has this turned in to a london vs the rest of the UK argument?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abigail_92)
    Blame the SNP :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    London citizens are paying more than the average taxpayer Plus it is only reasonable for everyone to pay for it seeing as there will be benefits that will benefit the entire country.

The country will benefit as a whole - you cannot look at it in regards to individuals such as the "old" and the "vulnerable" because it isn't possible to quantify on such a small scale. Obviously not every individual will see the benefits straight away.
    You keep spouting this mantra that the country will benefit as a whole - how do you propose this would happen? You've mentioned the fact that well-performing branches of shops, etc would subsidise those who aren't, but business doesn't work this way. If a branch is under-performing, it will be closed or overhauled anyway. The only benefit will be to the already massively-rich who profit from public money.

An interesting Guardian article addresses some of the regeneration issues.

In Atlanta, house prices soared as a result of the games, and in Sydney the facilities are yet to find satisfactory post-Olympic uses. In Athens only now is the government addressing how the venues will be funded and maintained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abigail_92)
    Because millions of pounds of lottery funding has been diverted to pay for the capital investment programme in London. This is being taken away from the most vulnerable in our society all over the country to one area - to build stadia which will be used to their full potential for only a few weeks in 2012.

That's why it has turned into a London vs. Rest of UK debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grum Fox)
    You keep spouting this mantra that the country will benefit as a whole - how do you propose this would happen? You've mentioned the fact that well-performing branches of shops, etc would subsidise those who aren't, but business doesn't work this way. If a branch is under-performing, it will be closed or overhauled anyway. The only benefit will be to the already massively-rich who profit from public money.

An interesting Guardian article addresses some of the regeneration issues.

You've answered your own question
    , we nee the housing market to get back on its feet. House prices rising in one area has a ripple effect on the entire market.

Business DOES work that way. If one area is failing where a potential market is a company will strive to acquire more of the market share. Besides, even if Business did decide to invest solely in London (not that that is what would happen) ti would mean that the government has to spend less money in London and can give more to the rest of the UK.

ReputationRep:

You've answered your own question
    , we nee the housing market to get back on its feet. House prices rising in one area has a ripple effect on the entire market.

Business DOES work that way. If one area is failing where a potential market is a company will strive to acquire more of the market share. Besides, even if Business did decide to invest solely in London (not that that is what would happen) ti would mean that the government has to spend less money in London and can give more to the rest of the UK.
    So what you're advocating is a short-term olympic-fuelled housing boom?

And public funding doesn't work like that - if London were to recieve less public investment in future, you can be assured the people of London would be up in arms about it!

ReputationRep:
    And mostly black.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a simple argument here: the Olympics, in order to command British taxes, must be a truly British event rather than a solely London one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Quite a simple argument here: the Olympics, in order to command British taxes, must be a truly British event rather than a solely London one.
    Lib, it's not often I agree with you , but you've summed up my point exactly!

ReputationRep:
    I think the 2012 motto should be " welcome to the place where it always rains, the taxes here state that you have to pay olympics tax.. ooh and wait everyone from outside the UK should also pay for air tax too.. your in our airspace now" lol..

ReputationRep:
    London 2012: Half the fun, twice the price.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Goddess Fury)
    And mostly black.

yep, undeniable - i feel kind of ashamed as I am black myself - true fact, true fact

ReputationRep:
    'The Olympics, now back with democracy and liberty!'

ReputationRep:
    yep, undeniable - i feel kind of ashamed as I am black myself - true fact, true fact
    Don't feel ashamed, there are negatives in every grouping of people's. I for instance class chavs as being whites who for some bizare reason find a thrill in trying to copy the worst aspects of black culture, but making a total arse of themselves.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.