starjumpcheryl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
So I'm thinking of applying for Drama next year at uni and I've found that whilst most drama schools / conservatoires seem to offer BA Acting, universities tend to offer BA Drama. I was wondering what the main differences are between the two? At the moment my plan is to do a PGCE after my degree and hopefully train to be a secondary school drama teacher and I'm not really sure if either degree would be more beneficial / preferred?
Thanks!
welcometotherock
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Drama schools & Conservatoires generally offer Acting degrees with the aim of training professional actors.

A university drama degree will be broader, a mix of practical and theoretical work. Studying drama from an academic viewpoint.
dramaqueeen99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if you're planning on teaching, id deffo do Drama, you will learn things that are more appropriate for taking forward into a PCGE! ive just finished my Drama degree and am planning on doing either a PGCE or MA and have learnt enough to feel confident going into either, whereas some of my friends who did acting at the same uni have missed out on things which will be really useful techniques and ideas for teaching. I hope this helps xx
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi starjumpcheryl
I’m a student at Lancaster Uni doing their drama, theatre and performance course which you can find more about here : https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...-ba-hons-w440/
Our degree isn’t an acting degree but we do perform as well as the theory. A possible career path is teaching and my degree offered an optional schools placement module this year during my second year which was really good for me to see what teaching was like. This is just my experience and things may change but drama seems to be the right path if you want to teach.
Hope this helps
Student ambassador at Lancaster Uni Holly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (76)
18.63%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (82)
20.1%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (78)
19.12%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (89)
21.81%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.05%
I haven't started researching yet (42)
10.29%

Watched Threads